Deck Noise from above X Solstice Sky Suite 2118?

lozzie64

Hi All, I am just checking on how much deck noise you can hear in the Sky Suites on Solstice? It looks like the main Cafe/Buffet is directly above? I am on an Alaska cruise in September. My last cruise was directly below the deck pool area and I vowed not to do that again as I could hear chairs scraping, but guessing there is carpet on this above deck? I could change to a corner suite lower down, but not sure I want to be at the end of the boat in these waters. Last time cruising I was on the Med, dead flat. Thanks.

There is not much information about this particular cabin, but I did find a video online. I just did quite a bit of research on those S2s for an upcoming cruise and in general , there have been a number of complaints about them and noise from the buffet above (chairs and rolling carts) It doesn't seem to bother some at all and appears the farther back, the more noisy. 2118 may be under a carpeted area.

I would go for a corner S1 in a heartbeat - those are our preferred cabins. Decks 7,8,9 are the best, you have cabins above and below. They are huge and the balcony and extra window can't be beat. We have never been bothered at all by extra motion - but that is probably just luck.

FWIW, we did not want to take a chance that the cabin would be noisy and, since all corner Sky Suites were taken, we opted to forego a suite and take a Sunset Veranda on the aft.

We have been in cabin 2121. I would not book in this area again. All night long you can hear carts rolling above from Ocean View Café. During the day chairs being moved. I am a light sleeper so it was a problem for me. Might not be a problem for some. We were assigned this cabin on a suite GTY so we knew there was a chance of noise.

Although we were in a RS when we sailed the Solstice, I do know there is some noise below the Ocean View Cafe. We sat next to some folks in Luminae and they were not pleased with the location of their S2 cabin (said they would never book a guarantee again.) In July 2017, we sailed in an S1 (7307 corner aft Sky Suite) on the Equinox and loved it. Yes, it's a bit of a walk but the wrap around balcony was lovely (and would be a huge plus in Alaska.)

I have done several cruises in Alaska, both on cruise liners and a really small boat (as in 60 feet) and only once did we encounter anything close to rough water (it was on the small ship, btw.) My choice would be the aft S1.

Enjoy your cruise!

Hi All, I am just checking on how much deck noise you can hear in the Sky Suites on Solstice? It looks like the main Cafe/Buffet is directly above? I am on an Alaska cruise in September. My last cruise was directly below the deck pool area and I vowed not to do that again as I could hear chairs scraping, but guessing there is carpet on this above deck? I could change to a corner suite lower down, but not sure I want to be at the end of the boat in these waters. Last time cruising I was on the Med, dead flat. Thanks.

We’re in this cabin next month. We always book an Aft S2, but none were available when we booked this cabin.

I’m hoping it is under the carpeted area, near the entrance to the Oceanview Cafe. There is usually not a lot of traffic in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I would not book a cabin below the oceanview cafe again. We stayed in 2219 on Reflection (S2) and had terrible noise during day and night. We heard carts rolling, chairs and tables being moved for cleaning at 3 am. Maybe it is better under the carpet area... ?

Complaining didn't really help during our cruise – the Future Cruise Credit was nice but not worth the hassle.

Wow, great info as I think there are still 3 corner Sky Suites left on lower decks. Now I have decided to take this particular cruise I will ask my agent to swap me I am thinking. There was on open deck above me on my last cruise and the scraping of chairs annoyed me. So glad I posted. Thanks very much everyone.

Just another thought - many cruisers mention the issue of "soot" from the smokestack on the balcony of S1's. We did encounter a bit of soot a couple of times, but the cabin steward was extremely conscientious about keeping the deck furniture rinsed off. It wasn't a deal breaker for us, however something to consider. I have not stayed in an S2 so can't compare with closet space, etc.

Still, I'd rather be aft than below public space, especially a dining venue.

We sailed on the Solstice a few years ago and were in cabin 2125. The next year we were in 2133 on the Equinox, which has the same layout. In 2125 recall hearing some noise in the early morning from above while they were setting up the Oceanview Café for breakfast, but nothing that really bothered us. I don't recall any noise during the night. We are early risers and most of the days we were up anyway preparing to leave the ship for excursions. On a later cruise we booked an aft corner cabin on the Solstice, right under the back deck off of the Oceanview Café. We ended up rebooking to a lower floor because I had heard there can be a lot of noise on the outdoor deck. However, we were happy with 2125 and 2133, so we wouldn't hesitate to book one of the cabins under the main part of the Oceanview again. Hope this helps.

My agent checked this afternoon, my current room is a S2 and I would have to pay at this later stage for S1 corner another $2K+, so staying where I am. Thanks all.

Thanks everyone, looks like I should stay where I am as it is one of the cabins just at the start of the Cafe, I think there is still one cabin closer but that it right next to the bump out and I didn't want that either. Appreciate everyone's advice.