Central London to Southampton Cruise Terminal

EuroFan

Agreed that the Cunard coach transfer from either Victoria Coach Station or St Pancras Station is convenient since it takes you directly to the cruise terminal and the ship will wait in case of any delays. But at $40 per person (as quoted on Cunard's US web site) I don't think it qualifies as the cheapest way. Now if that Cunard transfer can be included as part of the Cunard Fare in the UK, that's a different matter. Otherwise I agree that a £5 fare on a National Express coach from Victoria Coach Station (with or without an onward taxi to the cruise terminal) is hard to beat as the cheapest way.

Edited by bluemarble

Depending on where you'll be in London, Waterloo station might be closer. From what I could see on a quick search, train fare starts around 12 pounds. And then a taxi to the ship, about the same distance.

What happened to Megatrain? We used that a few times to go to Soton for 2 pounds.

Depending on where you'll be in London, Waterloo station might be closer. From what I could see on a quick search, train fare starts around 12 pounds. And then a taxi to the ship, about the same distance.

What happened to Megatrain? We used that a few times to go to Soton for 2 pounds.

I was also wondering about Megatrain. We used that several years ago for a ridiculously low fare from Southampton Central to London Waterloo. I waited too long to book our particular Megatrain trip and ended up paying £4, but I recall that by booking further out one could indeed secure a fare of £2 and perhaps even as low as £1. But they don't appear to be offering that service between London and Southampton anymore.

No problem, our train system is a mystery to us, I can't imagine how it looks to the rest of the world.

There is currently an issue with the Summer timetable, at the moment it's only being confirmed 6 weeks ahead on some routes. It's unlikely to be a major problem for weekday travel but there could be short notice weekend work.

Oh yeah, it's confusing to the rest of us. For a country the size of the UK, you have a lot of intercity train lines, and they have different fare structures. Some have great advance fares (Virgin East Coast is one of those) and some have one price whether you buy in advance or on the day. With our many trips to England, I've become pretty good at working my way through the National Rail site.

I fondly remember the days of British Rail, when you only had to know the workings of one system.

I have found most British "cross country" trains to be little more than commuter trains - almost no availability for baggage . The National Express coaches are better suited for people with suitcases

For a cheap train journey you can take Southern from Victoria Station to Southampton for as little as £8.50. They have about 15 stops, including Gatwick, and it takes two and a half hours. There is almost no luggage space as I found out the first time I took it from So'ton to Gatwick.

We always buy a Britrail Pass, so even though it wouldn't cost us anything we forego the train on that route and use either the Cunard transfer or a car service for the convenience. We are, however, fond of the main-line trains which have a very good first class service.