Crown Grill location

Sea and Me

We had the opportunity to receive a dinner invitation from our travel agent for the Crown Grill while on the Royal Princess last week. I made the reservation for 5:30 (early diners) and was disappointed in its location. It is located behind the Wheelhouse Bar. That would be fine except the loud music coming from the bar all through dinner wasn't what I expected from "specialty dining". I wonder how many find this to be annoying when trying to speak to the people at your table. I thought "specialty dining" was a more intimate dining experience. I was proved wrong. The dinner was great, service good, but only if the music wasn't so loud!! Just my experience!

We had the opportunity to receive a dinner invitation from our travel agent for the Crown Grill while on the Royal Princess last week. I made the reservation for 5:30 (early diners) and was disappointed in its location. It is located behind the Wheelhouse Bar. That would be fine except the loud music coming from the bar all through dinner wasn't what I expected from "specialty dining". I wonder how many find this to be annoying when trying to speak to the people at your table. I thought "specialty dining" was a more intimate dining experience. I was proved wrong. The dinner was great, service good, but only if the music wasn't so loud!! Just my experience!

This location is a major downgrade from the Grand class ships where the Crown Grill has its own location away from the Wheelhouse bar. We dined in the one on Royal last year and were very annoyed with the intrusion of the very loud music. Other than that we love the Royal. Princess really screwed this up.

Edited by HleeCruiser

Given your experience do you have any recommendations on where to get a table at the Crown Grill on the Royal... if that is possible .... to escape loud music.... we will be on a TA would like to use the Crown Grill a lot... maybe not if music is such an issues... of course... those managing the grill, could insure more dinner music was played during dinner hours.

Given your experience do you have any recommendations on where to get a table at the Crown Grill on the Royal... if that is possible .... to escape loud music.... we will be on a TA would like to use the Crown Grill a lot... maybe not if music is such an issues... of course... those managing the grill, could insure more dinner music was played during dinner hours.

My suggestion to you would be if possible to go when its not in operation and take a look around. You just walk through the Wheelhouse and you would be able to see all the tables and booths. The music would be what the entertainment is for that particular evening. Trust me--music was loud!! Once was enough for us!! Good luck, enjoy your cruise.

It is really crowded passing thru Wheelhouse, with the bar on the right side. But when we were seated just 3 cubicles with bench from the entrance, we were not bothered by the music from the Wheelhouse Bar.

Edited by easyboy

I know what you mean as far as the dinner goes, not the best. We were lucky is was quiet when we ate.

Princess has promoted having the Wheelhouse Bar adjacent to the CG to have a pre-dinner drink with live piano entertainment before dining at the CG.

I've never done that & usually dine at the CG as soon as it opens without any noise issues from piano music at the Wheelhouse Bar. If that's a problem for anyone, I'd suggest getting a table near the windows which are furthest from the Wheelhouse Bar. I don't know if it's possible to pre-book a window table which are probably popular & could be first come, first seated.

Edited by Astro Flyer

Have to say...thoroughly enjoyed our dinner in Crown Grill, sitting near the Wheelhouse bar and hearing the Band play their Sets throughout our meal....it added to the ambiance of our meal to enjoy the band and such.....

So, call us a one off ( we expect to enjoy the same on our next Royal sailing) or adapt to what the Royal class ships offer. We were really happy to hear the music and take it in while dining..... To each their own I guess.

Have to say...thoroughly enjoyed our dinner in Crown Grill, sitting near the Wheelhouse bar and hearing the Band play their Sets throughout our meal....it added to the ambiance of our meal to enjoy the band and such.....

So, call us a one off ( we expect to enjoy the same on our next Royal sailing) or adapt to what the Royal class ships offer. We were really happy to hear the music and take it in while dining..... To each their own I guess.

We also enjoyed the music during dinner on Regal Princess. Bayou Café on Island/Coral also have live music during dinner time. Very nice.

On the Royal the musicians that perform in the Wheelhouse change. I have seen softer piano, soft classic rock & roll, classical string quartets, jazz. It all depends on the day, time and what musicians are on your cruise. We did not find it annoying when we dined there. There are some Crown Grill tables that are adjacent to the Wheelhouse Bar. These would not be the preferred tables. Tables that are against the port side bulkhead are the better locations.