Can anyone report on the "solsticizing" of the Constellation?

robinlynn

We are considering a cruise for next year to Scandinavia and Russia, but I don't know how the Constellation compares to the newer ships. I guess I am a bit spoiled as our other two Celebrity experiences were the first European season on the Solstice and this past year on the brand new Silhouette. Of course, the most important thing is the itinerary, but I am a bit curious as to how "aged" the Constellation might look, since by next year it will be 14 years old.:confused:

I'd appreciate any input from anyone who has done both of these class of ships in the last year or two

thanks!

Robin

We are considering a cruise for next year to Scandinavia and Russia, but I don't know how the Constellation compares to the newer ships. I guess I am a bit spoiled as our other two Celebrity experiences were the first European season on the Solstice and this past year on the brand new Silhouette. Of course, the most important thing is the itinerary, but I am a bit curious as to how "aged" the Constellation might look, since by next year it will be 14 years old.:confused:

I'd appreciate any input from anyone who has done both of these class of ships in the last year or two

thanks!

Robin

Hi Robin,

We sailed on Constellation last year, and sailing on her again in 2 weeks. Last time we were onboard, after her Solsticizing, the ship was in excellent condition. She does not have a few of the latest features, which we've called Solsticizing "2.0", which includes Aqua Class, BLU, and the additional aft verandas... but that's coming in April.

She's one of our Celebrity favorites. If you have other questions, feel free to ask. Enjoy your Cruise !

We sailed the Equinox in June '12 and the Connie in December '12. One caveat: we were AQ on the Equinox and loved Blu. But I can say that the Connie stacks up well to the Solstice class ships with only minor maintenance issues (a bit of rust in places) separating them.

The bathrooms on Connie are not as spacious as the Equinox nor as elegantly appointed in wood. But I preferred the shower with the curtain to the one with the door (I know, heresy!) as I found it difficult to turn the shower on on the Equinox without getting wet. And the drawer situation on Connie is more convenient than the Equinox. But the balcony on Connie and the balcony furniture (think plastic straps not mesh) are inferior and smaller.

I preferred the jogging track on Connie, the Aqua Spa Cafe layout on Equinox, and the buffet better on Equinox. And I got a kick out of the Lawn on the Equinox.

But if you like the itinerary for the Connie, I would go for it. It was a lovely ship (though our service was uncharacteristically bad--check out all of the recent postings on this--but Celebrity seems to have gotten the message and it has greatly improved in January.

We are considering a cruise for next year to Scandinavia and Russia, but I don't know how the Constellation compares to the newer ships. I guess I am a bit spoiled as our other two Celebrity experiences were the first European season on the Solstice and this past year on the brand new Silhouette. Of course, the most important thing is the itinerary, but I am a bit curious as to how "aged" the Constellation might look, since by next year it will be 14 years old.

thanks!

Robin

BOTH!!! (But not necessarily in that order.:confused:)

I did an eastbound TA on Solstice in April, and a westbound TA on Connie in December. :)

How can life be so harsh and cruel as to force someone into choosing... :eek:

Absolutely LOVED them both. Yes the Solstice was newer with more of a modern glitzy chic beauty to it, as where the Connie had more of a feel of stately traditional elegance. :cool:

Food, service, entertainment, cleanliness were the same on both. GREAT! :D

If you find yourself unable to make up your mind, I would me more than happy to take your place in either case! :p ENJOY!

BOTH!!! (But not necessarily in that order.:confused:)

I did an eastbound TA on Solstice in April, and a westbound TA on Connie in December. :)

How can life be so harsh and cruel as to force someone into choosing... :eek:

Absolutely LOVED them both. Yes the Solstice was newer with more of a modern glitzy chic beauty to it, as where the Connie had more of a feel of stately traditional elegance. :cool:

Food, service, entertainment, cleanliness were the same on both. GREAT! :D

If you find yourself unable to make up your mind, I would me more than happy to take your place in either case! :p ENJOY!

Just had to say that I always enjoy your input!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am in a similar situation - we've only sailed Solstice class ships before and we love then and so does my 5-year old. I love the itinerary on the constellation this summer but am hesitatnt to book as I don't want to be disappointed. Can someone give me more info on the pools - is there one that is shallow and good for kids? How is the kids club? My son loves the one on the S-class ships. Are the cabins renovated?

One other thing the Connie has that the S class ships don't, are aft cabins with HUGE balconies. Huge... (picture below)

Having been on both I would give the S class a slight edge just because they're newer and glitzier. But I love the Connie (have sailed with her twice) and would sail with her again.

Connie.jpg.699e81e687c5d7070de7a657ab2aa5b7.jpg

Just finished a great cruise on the Constellation! The ship seemed to be in fine shape to me; nothing seemed worn or poorly maintained. The service and food was very good. I wrote a long review in the Members' area of the Ship Reviews forum of this site, if you have time to read it. It was a very positive experience! :D

tikcho - I can't recall the exact depth of the pools, but it seems to me that both of the main outdoor pools are at least four feet deep or close to it (one was for sure)?

The lesser of these two pools is rather small (approx. six feet by six feet?) and it has these very shallow areas on either end, where people enter the pool. The water there is only a couple of inches deep, if that, and it is really not deep enough for a child to play in. These shallow areas drop off very suddenly to the full depth of the pool.

I think I recall seeing a sign on the larger, longer pool stating that the pool was either 4 feet 2 inches deep, or 4 feet 8 inches deep? There are no slides or other pool features popular with children other than maybe the basketball hoop at one end of the long pool.

The pools are all filled with salt water and they are fairly heavily chlorined (and goodness knows what else). Not sure if a young child would find the water too irritating? It bothered my eyes a tad. The hot tubs are like most hot tubs anywhere; not really safe for children. (The indoor spa pool is restricted to adults.)

It would seem to me that the water in either of these pools would be over the head (or almost) of the average five year old? I thought that the Constellation originally had a dedicated "kiddy pool" somewhere else on the ship, but I didn't see it anywhere. If it ever did exist, it likely has been closed due to modern concerns over germs and such.

A quick call to Celebrity's 1-800 number would likely supply you with more exact info. The Constellation does have activities for children by age. A five year old is on the border between two of the age groups.

The Constellation seemed to me to be a rather stately ship, and most of the folks on board were middle aged or older. That might have been somewhat as a result of the theme of our cruise, but from what I've read, that seems to be the norm for the Constellation, and Celebrity in general. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that a child couldn't have a good time.

Happy cruising, tikcho and robin.

:)

I loved the S class ships, have been on the Solstice, Silhouette and Reflection. Even with the glitz and newness, I am looking forward to the Millie and Connie.

I missed the T pool terribly on the S class ships. I also missed the steps into the outdoor pool. On the S class ships there are ladders and I have mobility issues. Also liked the old Michaels club better and the 3 banks of elevators compaired to 2 banks on the S class ships.

I am sure a tear will come to my eye and when I see the old Martini bar gone, but the new one looks fabulous and I am sure I will have a great time there.

I am a glass half full not half empty person.

Cruising is my passion, you could put me on a bucket of bolts and I could still find something that will make it a great cruise for me..

MY only advise is if something is wrong or not to your liking tell them right then and there. Dont wait till you get home and complain on CC. The cruise line can't make it right when the cruise is over.

Norma

MY only advise is if something is wrong or not to your liking tell them right then and there. Dont wait till you get home and complain on CC. The cruise line can't make it right when the cruise is over.

Norma

This is GREAT advice in any vacation setting...I run a hotel and when someone comes up at CHECK OUT with complaints that could easily have been corrected if we had known it is very frustrating. Yes we can hand money back and we have, but the opportunity to fix the problem and make your stay better is so much better an option for all concerned....certainly true for cruises too....IF you report a problem and it's not fixed then going "up the ladder" for resolution is appropriate.... Yes everything should be right all the time but in an imperfect world sometimes things go haywire....:)

I am in a similar situation - we've only sailed kids? How is the kids club? My son loves the one on the S-class ships. Are the cabins renovated?

My kids have cruised (only) Celebrity for 10 years since they were 6 and 9.

The kids clubs are fairly identical in programing, activities, etc. They too said they only "loved the Mercury" then the next ship and the next. The point is your son is unlikely to care once he is on board.I leave on Connie in two weeks, we actually prefer the M Class to the S Class for many reasons. I'm sure your son will enjoy whatever ship you select.

Just curious if anyone knows where they're going to put Blu?

Assuming they are doing the same as her sister M-Class ships, Blu will be located by the Port Side entrance on the upper level of the Main Dining Room. You can see it on the port side. This is from Infinity. I hope this helps !

IN_Entertainment_Deck_1420.gif

Archived