What has happened to older Australians ( cruising related)

bazzaw

A year ago we were on a repositioning cruise with MDR type meals/seating for lunch and dinner, and had a nice table for meals with two very nice couples. After the second day I noticed one of the women wouldn't remember what she ordered, didn't like the way it looked, and demanded the server bring her what she thought she ordered. It was beginning to turn into a bad situation, especially when she told the server to bring what he'd originally delivered as she didn't order what he was trying to give her. After this occurring a few times I couldn't sit there and let her, and her husband, belittle the server anymore. I finally said, ""Mary" that's exactly what you ordered", which she and her husband both denied. This resulted in two things. After she ordered her meal she'd ask me if I wrote down what she'd ordered. I responded, "Would you like me to so you could have it to remember what you ordered?" When my DW and I would show up for a meal she'd say something under her breath to her husband along the line of, "Here THEY are again." By the way, after it happened the second time I went to the head server and informed him of the problem. She didn't notice the head server hovering behind her until he caught her in the same act and the at the next meal, after she placed her order, he said "Oh "Mary", you'll love the baked flounder. Our chef does an excellent job in preparing the baked flounder." By the fourth day she and her husband got themselves moved to another table, but the head waiter kept an eye on her and protected his servers from being verbally abused by her and her husband. Meals were so much nicer upon their moving to a table for two on the other side of the MDR.

I haven't worked in a position where I interact continually with customers since I was a teenager, when oldie's songs were new, but I don't treat those serving me with disrespect. One time, while boarding a plane, I did treat a flight attendant with an attitude she didn't deserve and within a minute I turned around and apologized to her and the head flight attendant. When we arrived at our destination, I again apologized to them for my being so short with her for trying to do her job.

Edited by TiiiSailor

TrixieBel - It may have been dementia. Too bad her husband let her get away with abusing the server.

Yes, may have been dementia but is that an excuse for bad behaviour. I don't think so and her husband is just as much at fault if not more if it really was dementia.

TrixieBel - It may have been dementia. Too bad her husband let her get away with abusing the server.

Unfortunately doing that to someone who has dementia could escalate things badly. It is an awful disease. Her husband may have early signs too.

Edited by Pushka

Dementia is caused by Alzheimers. I really hope I dont have to learn more than that.

The movie Still Alice shook me heaps.

In my experience, people with Alzheimer's tend to know they have forgotten something and get frustrated that they cannot remember, while with dementia they just don't know at all. Very said either way.:(

I work in research in this area... And my mother died of dementia in Nov last year. I highly recommend visiting the website of Alzheimers Australia if you want more information about early signs of dementia (which has about 6 different forms) which can include aggressive and nasty behaviour.

This time next week there will be a launch in Canberra of the first Australian clinical guidelines for dealing with diagnosis, treatment and care for people with dementia. I'll be in Canberra for the launch.

A cruise ship is obviously not the place to get a diagnosis. Sounds like the staff put supervision in place to protect all involved as much as possible...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

My DH has Alzheimers - and therefore also dementia.

Believe me, every day is different - and mentally exhausting for those living with this poor person.

Many people think that they understand because they know of someone who has this terrible disease. Some even have been quite close and have visited someone every day, but, until you live with someone 24/7 you will never really understand.

Unfortunately, our cruising and travelling days are over.

My sympathies Goldygolfer.

My father died (too young) from Alzheimers. He became quite paranoid from time to time and would sometimes think people were playing tricks on him. For example he would be convinced that he had had a full cup of tea and that one of us had put an empty cup in its place. Mary might have thought that too. I remember my lovely, gentle father hitting a female nurse at the hospital once. He would never have done that before the disease took hold. He wouldn't even raise his voice when a women was in the room.

Thank you to recent posters for bringing some empathy and compassion back to the conversation, as another who has seen the devastating effect of Alzheimer's and dementia on loved ones and their carers.

It's naive and, quite frankly ignorant and offensive to suggest that a family member should, or could just 'not let' a dementia sufferer act the way they do.

Thank you to recent posters for bringing some empathy and compassion back to the conversation, as another who has seen the devastating effect of Alzheimer's and dementia on loved ones and their carers.

It's naive and, quite frankly ignorant and offensive to suggest that a family member should, or could just 'not let' a dementia sufferer act the way they do.

I agree, but where the unfortunate lady's partner was remiss is in taking her on the cruise. Spoken as one who has had both parents with dementia/alzheimers, I can still vividly remember the fights to get them to take a shower.

Young Dementia is growing. The number of cases in people under 60 is amazing.

Awful diseases.

So sad when a loved ine doesn't recognize you, or turns against you for no reason.

Thoughts are with all going through it at the moment, a close friend is struggling with it at the moment, her hubby (it transpired) had a stroke. It has been heartbreaking to see him not know who she is on some visits.

A very good friend had her husband diagnosed with early Alzheimers and so decided it was now or never to cruise. She booked 3 cruises. He managed 2 and the third had to be cancelled. Even with the 2 cruises , he did not know where he was and on the way home caused security alerts at the Ala Moana Centre, Honolulu, and Sydney International Airport.

However she enjoyed those precious days together as he is now in a secure unit for his own, and others safety , so has those memories to look back on.

I believe the lesson we can all take from this thread is that if we are thinking whether we should take a cruise or not.....

Do it while you can.

I agree, but where the unfortunate lady's partner was remiss is in taking her on the cruise. Spoken as one who has had both parents with dementia/alzheimers, I can still vividly remember the fights to get them to take a shower.

If that was her problem and not just that she was a nasty woman out to cause trouble. (and I'm not making a call either way).