Path of Trolls - Private Tour or Alternative?

I waited until the last minute to start planning excursions for our Norwegian Fjords cruise (real life got in the way - darn!), so the "Path of Trolls" ship excursion tour is booked. Does anybody know of any private companies that provide this tour? Or, should we try to do this on our own and rent a car? Perhaps there's a road less travelled that will provide as much scenery, if not more? I welcome all suggestions:) Thanks!

Maybe tell us what the tour consists of & where it goes

All ships have tours with different names for the same tour

I found this on RCCL's website. It might be the tour the OP is talking about.

Full Description:

This tour will be operated in English only.

You’ll join your coach at the pier in Alesund and drive through green scenery along Storfjorden. Your first stop will be at the medieval Stordal Church, known for its interior rose paintings and fresco decorations.

You’ll continue to Liabygd and arrive at the village of Valldal, known for its strawberry production. You’ll follow the valley towards Trollstigen (Path of the Trolls), passing the impressive Gudbrandsjuvet Gorge, measuring 16 feet wide and 80 feet deep with a foaming river at the bottom. At 2,500 feet above sea level, surrounded by dramatically shaped mountain peaks, you can enjoy the stunning views from the viewpoint.

You’ll travel down Trollstigen (Path of the Trolls) by bus and wind through its 11 giant hairpin bends blasted out of the mountainside to Isterdalen Valley. You will cross the Stigfoss Waterfall with a drop of 585 feet and you’ll see the needle-sharp peaks thrust their way 600 feet skywards.

You’ll reach the bottom of the valley that is surrounded by captivating mountains with majestic names, such as The King, The Queen and The Bishop. The drive then takes you through lush vegetation to Andalsnes, a charming village, and further along the Romsdalsfjord. You follow the river up the Romsdalen valley to see the highest vertical mountain wall in Europe, the Troll Wall, at 1,500 feet high. Before 1965, no one believed that it was possible for a human being to climb the vertical face of the Troll Wall. In 1965, a Norwegian and an English climbing team proved otherwise. It took them 14 days to reach the top, climbing different routes. Since then various routes have been climbed, the routes are often given names after the first ascendants. You’ll return to Alesund passing picturesque villages along the fjord.

We're on the Norwegian Fjords itinerary (Celebrity Infinity). We are stopping in Alesund - that's where the "Path of Trolls" tour (Trollstigen) is listed and fully booked. I also thought about renting a car and doing the driving myself, but that might be a bit stressful! Thanks!

I did the Path of the Trolls tour on Royal Caribbean last year, and it was wonderful. Don't give up hope yet, but check with the Shore Excursion desk as soon as you board the ship. There may be some cancellations during your cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the helpful replies. Turns out the ship holds a few seats available for passengers who book on board. But there was so much interest in this particular excursion, Celebrity hired another coach. It was actually a very well done tour!

Keep checking. Our RCCL Path of The Trolls Tour a month ago closed then opened several times in the 3 months before the cruise. If yours is similar it was a long but scenic trip with a very nice lunch buffet. We tried to find a private tour but wasnt successful.We usually dont do ships tours but this one was a great day.

Edited by daytona

• 3 weeks later...

We are on the Norwegian Star that stops in Bergen and Alesund. The Path of Trolls Tour with NCL is $200 pp. I found the private tour company on the internet, but perhaps time might be a factor in taking a private tour.

Also, for Bergen, the norwaynutshell tour by NCL is $299 pp. Checking online with doing it privately and the train connections don't return us to the ship in time.

I learned somewhere on these boards that RCI keep a number of spaces back to sell on board, as not everyone has access to the internet.

We booked an alternative trip from another port, which also went to the Troll Road, but it was longer and more expensive.

When we got on board, we were one of the first people in the queue when the excursions desk opened, and swapped the tours over, and got ourselves a nice bit of OBC!

Edited to add: It was well worth going straight away... we went past the desk only a few hours later, and there was a queue half way down the Promenade!

Edited by Shelley61
additional info

• 11 months later...

:)

We are on the Norwegian Star that stops in Bergen and Alesund. The Path of Trolls Tour with NCL is $200 pp. I found the private tour company on the internet, but perhaps time might be a factor in taking a private tour.

Also, for Bergen, the norwaynutshell tour by NCL is $299 pp. Checking online with doing it privately and the train connections don't return us to the ship in time.

Hi we are traveling on RCL to Alesund, Norway and you mentioned a private tour company that does the Path of the Trolls. Do you remember the company and were they good and what was the cost. Our ship wants too much money for the tour.

Robert

Hi we are traveling on RCL to Alesund, Norway and you mentioned a private tour company that does the Path of the Trolls. Do you remember the company and were they good and what was the cost. Our ship wants too much money for the tour.

Robert

Hi Robert-

this link has contacts for private tour companies out of Alesund-

http://www.visitalesund-geiranger.com/en/WHAT-TO-DO/sightseeing/

I've contacted a couple about a Trollstigen tour for us next May, but the road may be impassable at that time of year :(. Both companies have responded to my emails promptly.

PS- Go 12U South Carolina Cal Ripken League State Champs in the regionals this weekend!!

Edited by TMLAalum

Thanks TMLAalum,

I received further information about renting a car and doing the "Path of The Trolls" in a rented car, rather than a private tour or ship excursion. Car rental was cheaper and I think we can take our time and see a lot more. It's a mini cooper and seats (4) people.

Robert

Hi NYFan

Where did you hire the car and approximate cost for the car and gas?

Thanks

Thanks TMLAalum,

I received further information about renting a car and doing the "Path of The Trolls" in a rented car, rather than a private tour or ship excursion. Car rental was cheaper and I think we can take our time and see a lot more. It's a mini cooper and seats (4) people.

Robert

I organized a private Path of the Trolls tour out of Alesund for September 2014 (Norwegian Star).

The link to the tour company is below.

http://www.moereguide.com/index.php/en/towns/molde/path-of-the-trolls

http://moereguide.com/index.php/en/towns/molde/path-of-the-trolls

Cost of the tour (total for all persons) is Nok 14,500, which currently converts to $2425 US.

I recruited others (we have 30 on our tour bus), so the price is about $70 each.

I organized a private Path of the Trolls tour out of Alesund for September 2014 (Norwegian Star).

The link to the tour company is below.

http://moereguide.com/index.php/en/towns/molde/path-of-the-trolls

Cost of the tour (total for all persons) is Nok 14,500, which currently converts to $2425 US.

I recruited others (we have 30 on our tour bus), so the price is about $70 each.

Thanks for the information.

Yesterday I sent an e-mail to that same company, and am awaiting a reply. Is your tour the full 8 hours described? That would be cutting it too close for our cruise, we are only in Alesund from 7:00 - 4:00.

Do you know if they do smaller tours 10-20?

Thanks for the information.

Yesterday I sent an e-mail to that same company, and am awaiting a reply. Is your tour the full 8 hours described? That would be cutting it too close for our cruise, we are only in Alesund from 7:00 - 4:00.

Do you know if they do smaller tours 10-20?

Our tour is eight hours.

Here is what the tour company stated:

Duration will be from 0830-1630 (may be you will be back a little bit earlier). Normally it takes 7 hours withour lunch but you might like to buy you lunch somewhere on the way – so 7,5 – 8 hours is perfect

I am sure that they have other tours.

I think the problem with trying to do a shorter Path of the Trolls is that there is a bit driving involved.

• 3 weeks later...

Robert

Thanks TMLAalum,

Robert

We do not like large bus tours, and usually avoid ship's excursions for that reason. We have been very pleased with individual or small group private tours we have arranged. With that in mind we want to do the Path of the Trolls and I contacted:

More & Trondelag Guide Service

Noreon Guides and Excursions

Turistbussen Alessund

I have never received a reply from any of them.

Robert, you metion you have received information on DIY.

We have now reserved a car from Budget and I am looking for any input in a route that will allow us to see as much as possible, allowing for stops and a fairly relaxed pace. We must return to Alesund at 3:00 (4:00 departure) and plan to pick up the car at 8:00 am.

Also, the rental agreement states the driver must have an international driver's license. I believe AAA offers that, but need to find out.

We do not like large bus tours, and usually avoid ship's excursions for that reason. We have been very pleased with individual or small group private tours we have arranged. With that in mind we want to do the Path of the Trolls and I contacted:

Turistbussen Alessund

Robert, you metion you have received information on DIY.

We have now reserved a car from Budget and I am looking for any input in a route that will allow us to see as much as possible, allowing for stops and a fairly relaxed pace. We must return to Alesund at 3:00 (4:00 departure) and plan to pick up the car at 8:00 am.

Also, the rental agreement states the driver must have an international driver's license. I believe AAA offers that, but need to find out.

Yes, we are looking forward to doing "Path of The Trolls" ourselves. Like you said taking more time and not being rushed. I rented from Avis, a mini cooper. We have the same rental time too. Yes, AAA does provide international driver's license. I was asked once by AAA if I needed one. I will get one next week.

Yes, we are looking forward to doing "Path of The Trolls" ourselves. Like you said taking more time and not being rushed. I rented from Avis, a mini cooper. We have the same rental time too. Yes, AAA does provide international driver's license. I was asked once by AAA if I needed one. I will get one next week.

Thank you. Have you decided on your actual route? I have reserved a GPS with our rental so hopefully that will be helpful.

Edited by sippican

W...... I contacted:

Turistbussen Alessund

Its a shame you never got a reply or maybe you have by now?

For Turistbussen did you use any of these email addresses:

brit@turistbussen.no

geir@turistbussen.no

I contacted the same company a few days back and got a reply within hours.

I arranged a private tour from the Alesund port and contacted a few tour companies. I did finally manage to get someone's attention and booked a bus tour.

To keep the cost pp down, I booked a bus holding 40 persons. If I had gone with a small bus or van, the cost would have been as much as the ship's tour.

Here is the link to the firm.