Been to Bermuda??

BBMacLaird

After all these years, and too many cruises to count, I have still not been to Bermuda!

I'm even more inspired to visit after reading this blog "A Quick Guide to Cruising Bermuda" with its list of what to do there.

What do you think of Bermuda? And would you add anything to the list of what to do??

Bicycling Bermuda's Railway Trail sounds fun!

Three romantic things for a couple to do are:

1. Rent a scooter for a day or so and travel the full length and back of the interconnected islands.

2. Hire a carriage for a romantic ride around Hamilton.

3. Stroll through the Bermuda Botanical Gardens in Paget Parish.

Bermuda is fabulous! It’s my happy place! My favorite place of all the ones I’ve ever been to. Let me tell you all about it! [emoji16]

Contrary to popular opinion, Bermuda is NOT in the Caribbean. It is all by itself in the Atlantic about 600 miles off the coast of the Carolinas. The climate is semi tropical because it’s warmed by the Gulf Stream. It is also not IN the Bermuda Triangle, though it is the north apex.

It’s gorgeous, clean and the locals are warm, friendly and so helpful. Everyone says good morning/afternoon/evening whether they know you or not! Flowers everywhere, pastel houses with white roofs, the most spectacular turquoise water and beaches with pink sand (it’s pink, not PINK like too many brochures show after some Photoshop manipulation).

We have been going there on a regular basis since 1969. We love it and will be back in July. There is so much to do, we still haven’t done it all! And we will also be back in April next year on the Azamara Journey - docked in Hamilton - so cool!

One of our favorite things to do is to take the #11 or #10 bus from Hamilton to the Aquarium and Zoo in the lovely village of Flatts - one of the prettiest spots on the island. If you ride the buses, make sure to say good morning/afternoon to the driver when you get on and thank you when you get off. It’s the Bermudian way!

We tour the natural history museum, marvel at the fish in the big North Rock Tank, check out the flamingos (very noisy!), visit with the other animals, sit on a bench and make friends with a peacock, then watch them feed the seals. We always try to catch the tide flowing through the narrow confines of the bridge when it flows into or out of Harrington Sound, before hoping back on the bus to head for the Swizzle Inn for some Swizzles and lunch.

Gotta sneak across the road and have dessert at the Bailey’s Bay Ice Cream Parlor - homemade local flavors. Yummy!

We go horseback riding along the Railway Trail and Tribe Roads. We go helmet diving out at Dockyard and parasailing or exploring on jet skis. We take the Famous Homes and Hideaways boat tour through all the little coves and inlets around the Great Sound and Hamilton Harbor. You can rent a Boston whaler or kayaks and explore on your own. Bermuda is a snorkel and diving paradise. It also has some superb golf courses.

St George on the East End is quaint, historical and a UNESCO World Heritage site - take the ferry from Dockyard. Watch them duck the wench or try out the stocks in the Square. Check out both St. Peter’s and the Unfinished Church. Stroll through the narrow streets and alleys where blockade runners walked during the US Civil War.

You can take a shuttle to Clearwater Beach and walk down to Cooper’s Island and see if you can spot a sea turtle. Stop for a Bermuda Fish Sandwich and a bowl of Bermuda Fish Chowder - so good!

And the beaches - did I mention beaches? So many gorgeous pink sand beaches along the South Shore - Church Bay, Horseshoe Bay, Jobson’s Cove, Warwick Long Bay. Walk the beach trail to see as many as you can.

Visit Gibbs Hill Lighthouse for fabulous views of the whole island. Head to Dockyard for the National Museum of Bermuda and some more great views, or you can visit the dolphins at Dolphin Quest - maybe even swim with them.

Visit the Glassworks and watch them create their beautiful pieces. Sample some rum cake while you’re there. Check out the local crafts at the craft market, then try the locally brewed beer at the Frog and Onion.

Walk the plank at Calico Jacks. Do some shopping at the Clocktower Mall. Or head to Hamilton for some serious shopping, then stop in a pub for a Dark and Stormy (Goslings Black Seal Rum and Ginger Beer).

If you are there on a Wednesday in the summer don’t miss Harbor Nights - Bermuda’s great street festival. Look for the booth selling the Portuguese donuts - trust me on this one. Stay to see the Goombey Dancers. They also perform On Saturdays in Queen Elizabeth park around 12:30.

I could go on for ever and not cover it all. Do go there and see for yourself - but take care, Bermuda is habit forming!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Cyber Kat gave you great suggestions, far more than I can suggest.

But I heartily second the Famous Homes and Hideaways boat tour - we loved it!

Also St. George is delightful - we took the historical walking tour and our guide was terrific.

Would not recommend renting a scooter - my husband loves to drive anything motorized, but found riding a scooter very stressful in Bermuda. Not something you want or need on vacation, The locals are more familiar with driving on the left, and are much faster than you are going to be on a scooter. Plenty of accidents involving tourists. I know others will say "no problem" but relax and take the bus or taxi or ferry.

Beaches are gorgeous, we loved the Botanical Gardens, Verdmont Historic Home, Gibbs Lighthouse, walking the Railway Trail, exploring the Royal Dockyard, and more. Lovely island, lovely people.

--Marilyn

Great post Cyber Cat. I think we may just have more people joining us on Journey next April!!! The 3 days wont be long enough though, but at least we can get a taster of this beautiful island. Thanks.

Great post Cyber Cat. I think we may just have more people joining us on Journey next April!!! The 3 days wont be long enough though, but at least we can get a taster of this beautiful island. Thanks.

I hope so! Looking forward to having some fun! Since it's April, I'm thinking about whale watching. Will have to keep an eye out because it's towards the end of the migration, but I have people I can ask.

I'm hoping if they do the White Night or the Azamazing Evening that they don't do it when we are in Bermuda. We were looking forward to visiting some of our favorite restaurants.

If there is anyone who wants a bit more freedom in getting around than the bus and ferries offer, they are now renting tiny 2 person electric cars called Twizy. They are so cute! You do have to remember that they drive on the left!

I loved our Bermuda cruise. My advice would be to not go too early in the season though. We had torrential rain one day which totally blew out our plans and the other two days were just so-so on weather. We went May 15th, so I would recommend toward the end of May as being warmer and dryer.

Best thing we did? Purchased hotel day passes ahead of time online to the Coco Reef Hotel. The Elbow Beach Hotel looked nice too but I can only comment on Coco and it was great! The poolside included lunch (with a lot of options to choose from) was perfect. The beach was deserted when we got there and it was incredibly beautiful. Staff were pleasant too.

I've been on 5 Bermuda cruises, all been in May, approximately 14th-25th. Weather on the first on Celebrity Zenith in 2002 was abysmal - rain and clouds the entire week except for the day sailing back to NYC. Other 4 cruises (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013) we had mostly great weather, warm and sunny.

Bonnie, thanks for starting this, we have our first ever trip to Bermuda in July and I was wondering how to fill three days, now I am wondering how to get it all in..

Cyber Kat, thanks so much for all of the information. We are not sit on the beach people anymore so now I have some solid ideas to fill our days.

Bonnie, thanks for starting this, we have our first ever trip to Bermuda in July and I was wondering how to fill three days, now I am wondering how to get it all in..

Cyber Kat, thanks so much for all of the information. We are not sit on the beach people anymore so now I have some solid ideas to fill our days.

You’re welcome. If anyone has any other questions, please ask. I can either answer from my own experience or I know people who will probably have the answers.

We find it difficult fitting everything in on a 2 week stay, so fitting activities in a 2.5 day visit is a challenge for sure.

I’m looking forward to our Azamara NYC to Charleston and Bermuda cruise in April 2019 because of the unusual itinerary and the rare opportunity to dock in Hamilton.

All the ships used to dock there, but now most are 2 big 2 fit through Two Rock Passage, the entrance to Hamilton Harbor from the Great Sound.

All the things mentioned are great especially the clean easy bus routes so buy a pass available just near the pier.

The one thing not mentioned is the very very high cost of food on the island.

All the things mentioned are great especially the clean easy bus routes so buy a pass available just near the pier.

The one thing not mentioned is the very very high cost of food on the island.

I didn’t mention It because we live just outside of NYC. Bermuda prices aren’t that far off. Also on our Rhine river cruise in 2016, we went to Lucerne, Switzerland and it’s really expensive. Bermuda is very reasonable in comparison [emoji16]