Oasis shows with toddler - any recommendation or ones to skip

TEGL

We're trying to plan our iterary and I'm trying to find information about the shows, where can I read about them? Does anyone have any recommendations or what to see, or skip?

We will have our 2 year old with us and will be taking him to most. I'm hoping to get later reservations so he will sleep through them (so we can fully enjoy) but there may be one or two that he might like so I'm trying to figure out what those might be so I can do them earlier in the evening.

Right now we re secluded for:

Day 1 - Oasis of Dream 715

Day 2 - Frozen in Time 645

Day 3 (Labadee) - headliner showtime 815

Day 4 (Falmouth) - stand up comedy 845 (I know he can't go)

Day 5 - Come fly with me 715

Day 6 (Cozumel) - stand up comedy 845

Day 7 - Cats 215

Last time I was on Oasis was before we had little one but in general all the shows were great.

I personally would recommend getting a babysitter or using the nursery - I think you will have a much better time and this way you don't have to worry about you little one sleeping in the stroller or waking up in the middle of the show very upset

Basically, the earlier the show, the more "kid friendly" it will be. I wouldn't take a child that young to the comedy shows...while not always "adult" material, a 2 year old just won't "get it". Most kids like the sounds, costumes and lights for the production shows. Be aware, they crank up the sounds to an uncomfortable level!

Any of the "revues" with dancing, lights, costumes always fascinated my toddlers. I wasn't worried about the sexy costumes, but others may be. No comedy or headliner shows as they didn't have enough visually to keep my kids happy. We always just sat in the back/on the aisle to allow for a quick getaway.

Best,

Mia

Thank you guys since there are only a handful of shows do you reserve one of the shows twice? We're going to attempt the kids cRe but he's only been to a 'day care' 3 times in his life and he isn't a fan of it so I'm not sure how well it will go. He isn't a napper and I highly doubt he will nap during the day with so much going on so he will probably just crash early and I'll end up baby wearing him around.

I read the Cats isn't a big favorite. That it's pretty long and a lot of guest leave half way through. Is that true? We have it at 215 on our last day but I'm thinking the little one will like the splash pad better over seeing Cats.

Edited by TEGL

Another option is in-room babysitting. If there is one show you want to see, you can arrange for babysitters to come to your room if your son will not use the nursery. It is a bit more expensive, but if he falls asleep early, then it might be an option. We paid $19 an hour for two sitters to come stay with our son on our first cruise. He sat there and watched videos till we came back from dinner. It was our 10 year anniversary, and we knew he would not sit through dinner at Izumi.

Thank you guys since there are only a handful of shows do you reserve one of the shows twice? We're going to attempt the kids cRe but he's only been to a 'day care' 3 times in his life and he isn't a fan of it so I'm not sure how well it will go. He isn't a napper and I highly doubt he will nap during the day with so much going on so he will probably just crash early and I'll end up baby wearing him around.

I read the Cats isn't a big favorite. That it's pretty long and a lot of guest leave half way through. Is that true? We have it at 215 on our last day but I'm thinking the little one will like the splash pad better over seeing Cats.

You can only reserve each show once per person in the cruise planner. We just got off the Oasis, CATS is wonderful but there is no way a 2 year old will make it through that, it is very long. Frozen in Time is great for kids. The show is based on the books by Hans Christian Andersen. The Ugly Duckling segment is adorable. Come Fly with Me has a lot of action and might interest him. Oasis of Dreams (dive show) was good too but it is really hot in the aqua theatre so that might not work for sleeping. Headliner shows change so you might not have what we did. We had a ventriloquist, Ron Lucas, who people like, we walked out of the show. The comedy show was great but as you said, he can't get in.

Try and see what happens. Even though you need reservations, they also have standby lines and start letting those people into shows 10-15 minutes before the show. We did standby for 3 shows with no issues. We also saw kids asleep in the ice show. There was a little boy, maybe 3, in the front row who was very into the show up until the sand artist (that part is amazing but kids might not see it). He fell asleep during that and missed the rest of the show. As we were leaving, we saw that the kid behind us was out cold too.

Give it a try and if he is fussy, just leave so others can hear the show. Just pick your seats so you can get out easily, that is what we did for the ventriloquist. We had seen him before and it was the same old, same old, so we left.

DD (@ 2 years old) loved all Aqua Theatre shows and the show that I think is equivalent to Come Fly With Me (it was Blue Planet when we were on Allure). We did not try the headliner, comedy or Broadway (was Chicago) shows.

DD never went to daycare, but loved the nursery on the ship--kept wanting to go back.

We tend to try most with our kiddo but sit in the back with an exit in case he doesn't like it. He is quiet so thats never an issue. He liked the dive show and come fly with me. We haven't tried comedy (he doesnt do talking) and stick more with the music shows. He didnt like the broadway shows but climbed up and down the stairs a million times (no one was on them and we took turns and climbed with him) so it gave us a chance to see it. On harmony this dec were planning to schedule ourselves different times for the broadway show so it wont be an issue

When my son was 2/3 he didn't have much interest in the shows. I would usually watch with my daughter, who even at 3 was fascinated with the shows.

My son and husband would start with us. Often my son would fall asleep either in the chair or over his shoulder, and then he would carry him back tot he cabin. Sometimes, he'd get restless and they would leave.

By about 4, my son started showing interest in the shows.

We're sailing Oasis again in November (not looking forward to Cats!) - last time we sailed it was Hairspray. My husband says he will take my daughter (she wants to go) to see Cats. I recall the other shows being really good (dive show especially!), so we will watch those again.