Mass on Easter Sunday (Sapphire)

Nylsor

Princess is our favourite cruise line. It will be our Golden Wedding Anniversary (50th) in May '18. We have decided to treat ourselves to a cruise. We can't find one we like in May but are very interested in the 28 day Mediterranean and SE Asia on the Sapphire sailing on March 28th from Singapore. Easter Sunday is on April 1st next year and we will be at sea that day.

We are practising Roman Catholics and Easter Sunday is a special day for us. Lots to be thankful for especially next year. Does anyone know if Mass is celebrated on board that day? Or an inter-denominational Christian service? Something with some joyful singing.

Does anyone know? It won't stop us booking the cruise but would be good to know.

Many thanks

Princess is our favourite cruise line. It will be our Golden Wedding Anniversary (50th) in May '18. We have decided to treat ourselves to a cruise. We can't find one we like in May but are very interested in the 28 day Mediterranean and SE Asia on the Sapphire sailing on March 28th from Singapore. Easter Sunday is on April 1st next year and we will be at sea that day.

We are practising Roman Catholics and Easter Sunday is a special day for us. Lots to be thankful for especially next year. Does anyone know if Mass is celebrated on board that day? Or an inter-denominational Christian service? Something with some joyful singing.

Does anyone know? It won't stop us booking the cruise but would be good to know.

Many thanks

Only if a Catholic priest is on board as a passenger. There most likely will be an inter-denominational service, but the amount of singing, if any, will be dependent on who is leading the service. This is from the Princess FAQ

"

We respect our guests' religious beliefs and invite them to practice on their own or with their fellow guests. Guests who wish to lead religious services may volunteer by contacting the Guest Services desk or a member of the Cruise Staff. In some cases, our shipboard staff will lead services. However, Princess Cruises does not place clergy on board our vessels.

Clergy traveling as Guests onboard our vessels are welcome to conduct services while sailing. They should leave their name, cabin number, and services offered at the Guest Services Desk and they will be contacted by a member of the Cruise Director's Staff. Approval of services will be made based on schedule suitability, appropriate onboard supplies, etc. Please bring your Letter of Celebret or Letter of Good Standing with you to provide to the onboard staff."

A few years ago, my DH and I were on a cruise over Palm Sunday.

We attended an interdenominational service led by a cruise member who was an ordained minister. It was held in the Explorer's lounge.

He performed a lovely service with a short sermon and several hymns.

However,it was not a Catholic Mass and we did miss that ,especially on Palm Sunday.

While Amazing Grace is undoubtedly a beautiful and extremely popular hymn it is always amazing to me that most people don't know it was written by John Newton who was in the slave trade.

Even though he was said to have had his religious conversion during a terrible storm at sea in 1748, he continued in the slave trade until 1754 or 1755 (unclear). That means that he continued in the slave ship business for another 6 or 7 years. I like the song but am definitely not a fan of it's author.

We had on one occasion able to attend a Catholic mass at the Vista Lounge organized by a group traveling with a Catholic priest. We learned about it from the Patter. So I guess it will be coordinated with Princess when a priest is onboard.

It has been my joy to conduct an interdenominational service several times on various cruise lines on a "sea-day" Sunday. I prepare a power point display of hymn music and words and get the ships teckies to hook it into their system. A couple of short prayers, a light weight message and 4 or 5 hymns. Every blessing.

Many thanks to everyone who was kind enough to reply. Unfortunately Easter Day is a sea day so no looking for a church celebrating Mass. We have done this on other cruises. However, if there is an interdenominational service we will most certainly attend.