Cobh city tour?

Is there a HOHO at Cobh? Or any local train tour of the city? I am inclined to stay there and walk around, see the museum, try the local pubs, etc. First ever stop in Ireland and really just want to get the feel of local living. Not interested in kissing the Blarney Stone or going to woolen mills.

Is there a HOHO at Cobh? Or any local train tour of the city? I am inclined to stay there and walk around, see the museum, try the local pubs, etc. First ever stop in Ireland and really just want to get the feel of local living. Not interested in kissing the Blarney Stone or going to woolen mills.

http://www.cobhroadtrain.ie/

Thinking of trying this out when I'm there in three weeks. On our first visit last year, we went to Blarney (last minute decision after catching the train to Cork and then following everyone walking to the bus station), and didn't see any of Cobh itself even though the cathedral had caught my eye as we sailed in. So hoping to spend at least a couple of hours walking around Cobh this time, and will try this train if we happen upon it.

Cobh is a small town which you can easily walk around. You certainly don't need a bus. There is a train to Cork (a biggish city) which is only about half an hour away and a nice train ride. They have a HoHo in Cork which we took in March and found it interesting (been to Cork before but for the jazz festival). Cobh has a lovely museum in the train station and the Titanic Experience, which is worth visiting. Nice cafes and pubs as well.

Cork city is definitely worth a visit - jump on the train & have a wander around the city if you're not interested in the whole Blarney thing. Personally I'd go to Cork in the morning (it's pretty small, very walkable) have lunch in the city & then head back to Cobh early afternoon for a wander round & a couple of pub stops, Cathedral etc, and back to the ship.

If you need lunch suggestions let me know!

Cork city is definitely worth a visit - jump on the train & have a wander around the city if you're not interested in the whole Blarney thing. Personally I'd go to Cork in the morning (it's pretty small, very walkable) have lunch in the city & then head back to Cobh early afternoon for a wander round & a couple of pub stops, Cathedral etc, and back to the ship.

If you need lunch suggestions let me know!

I would be interested in your lunch suggestions in Cork?

Janelle

There is a small HOHO bus if you want to visit some of the further-off sites in the surrounding countryside.

There's also that road train (linked above) but it's mainly for people who find it difficult to walk up stairs or steep slopes... it only stops at a few places in town.

I personally just walked around Cobh on foot. I went to the museum and bought a walking tour ticket there. The walking tour covered the interesting history of the town and ended at the cathedral at the top of the hill. I found enough to fill my day and didn't go to Cork. I accidentally left my wallet on the ship, but since the town is so small, I was able to go back to get it and ate a quick lunch before going back into town again.

I would be interested in your lunch suggestions in Cork?

Janelle

Hi Janelle

Lunch options are varied depending on what you want to eat! My suggestions would be:

Greene's restaurant at Hotel Isaacs on MacCurtain Street would be my top choice for a "celebratory" meal. Food is tremendous.

They also own the Cask bar next door; never eaten there but if the food is as good as Greenes it will be great (less formal).

They have also recently set up "Bao Boi" - Steamed Korean (?) buns. If you want a lighter lunch, but appreciate it's not traditional in any way!!

The English Market is a must if you love food! There's the Farmgate Cafe upstairs, or if the weather is good you could get a sandwich from the stall on the corner by the fish stalls (can't remember it's name - backs on to the olive stall!) & go sit in the park for a picnic. My friend Kate is the chef at the Oyster Tavern; I've never eaten there but she's a great chef.

Liberty Grill & Gusto (both on Washington Street) are also good, but you may queue at Liberty Grill at the weekend.

• 2 weeks later...

When we were there on May 27th on the Royal Princess the train was very easy to get. It stops right at the port and we could see it from the ship when docked.

If you have any interest in Irish Whisky I highly recommend the Jameson Distillery tour. It was one of the highlights of our trip. It is very interesting because it's a tour of the old distillery with lots of great information and interesting recreations of the work that was done there. It's a very photogenic site as well if you like old buildings and old equipment.

The premium tasting at the end of the tour was absolutely wonderful. I tried a whisky that was so smooth and interesting I wouldn't have known it existed without the tasting. It was the Middletown Very Rare that goes for 180 Euros a bottle. I'm glad I had a chance to try it.

If you do go to the distillery get a taxi from Cobh rather than Cork because Cobh is closer to the distillery than Cork (You pass the roads to Cobh going from Cork.)

Yes it is very close to walk into Cobh. Maybe five minutes. We were there on Royal Princess yesterday. A very nice town, we walked in after our tour to Blarney. Nice pubs, a small Titanic museum, shops, a waterfront promenade.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes it is very close to walk into Cobh. Maybe five minutes. We were there on Royal Princess yesterday. A very nice town, we walked in after our tour to Blarney. Nice pubs, a small Titanic museum, shops, a waterfront promenade.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Perfect.

Thank you

• 4 months later...
On 11/1/2018 at 5:22 AM, LouiseCobh said:

There are a few great attractions in the town also, The Titanic Experience, The Queens town story and a stunning Cathedral in case you come back again. 

Our original plan was to take the train to cork and then transfer onward to Blarney Castle. it was raining so hard that day we decided just to stay in Cobh and head back to the ship if it was unbearable. The ship docks within 100 yards at the train station and Heritage building. We visited the Heritage building, the Titanic experience (very good) , the Lutsitania memorial, the cathedral , and did the 1 kilometer walk to the Titanic memorial garden. We had plenty of time to see everything and spent time using free WiFi to catch up.

In hindsight, we would take the train to cork and return with enough time to see the Titanic experience..

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/27/2018 at 5:45 PM, blakejared said:

I personally just walked around Cobh on foot. I went to the museum and bought a walking tour ticket there. The walking tour covered the interesting history of the town and ended at the cathedral at the top of the hill. I found enough to fill my day and didn't go to Cork. I accidentally left my wallet on the ship, but since the town is so small, I was able to go back to get it and ate a quick lunch before going back into town again.

When you mentioned that you bought the walking tour ticket at the museum, did you mean the Heritage Center,  the Titanic Experience Museum, or the Cobh Museum?  I see several museums in Cobh and wanted to clarify where to get the ticket for the town history tour that ends at the cathedral.  Do you remember the cost for the walking tour?  Thanks in advance for any specifics you can recall!

3 hours ago, Cruisen Elf said:

When you mentioned that you bought the walking tour ticket at the museum, did you mean the Heritage Center,  the Titanic Experience Museum, or the Cobh Museum?  I see several museums in Cobh and wanted to clarify where to get the ticket for the town history tour that ends at the cathedral.  Do you remember the cost for the walking tour?  Thanks in advance for any specifics you can recall!

I bought the walking tour ticket in the Cobh Heritage Centre (at the entry to "The Queenstown Story").  I had to ask about it, though.  I had read about a walking tour but I didn't know where to get a ticket.  I even walked into town for awhile before going back into the Heritage Centre.

If I remember correctly, the walking tour was called "Titanic Walking Trail".  

I paid for a combination ticket with the walking tour + entry to "The Queenstown Story" exhibit, which was 17.50 euros in total.  I don't know what the walking tour would cost by itself.

12 hours ago, blakejared said:

I bought the walking tour ticket in the Cobh Heritage Centre (at the entry to "The Queenstown Story").  I had to ask about it, though.  I had read about a walking tour but I didn't know where to get a ticket.  I even walked into town for awhile before going back into the Heritage Centre.

If I remember correctly, the walking tour was called "Titanic Walking Trail".  

I paid for a combination ticket with the walking tour + entry to "The Queenstown Story" exhibit, which was 17.50 euros in total.  I don't know what the walking tour would cost by itself.

Thank you!  That is exactly what I needed to know!