Running question while on board

Ajat0921

in June we will be on the Magic, and the weekends are my long run for my marathon training. I DO plan to keep up with them, so I will be on 15 miles at that point. I HATE dreadmills. what is the distance of the running track?

Quarter mile if I remember correctly. Maybe a bit shorter. Either way you'll be doing a LOT of laps on that track.

There will be signage that will tell you the number of laps you have to complete to do a mile.

Edited by Computer Nerd

in June we will be on the Magic, and the weekends are my long run for my marathon training. I DO plan to keep up with them, so I will be on 15 miles at that point. I HATE dreadmills. what is the distance of the running track?

I think 8 laps makes a mile. Also, the website says the track is "padded". I don't remember that from all the miles I've put in on ships. Maybe that's new???

You can run on the upper dedicated track on deck 12 (SPA) or down around deck 5 (Promenade). Upper deck was 9 laps/mile. I believe a loop around the Promenade is about 1/3 mile.

Expect big wind on the upper deck. I run in Hokas and the upper deck nearly destroyed my ankles and knees... much worse than concrete. Expect big wind, lots of people, and traffic jams on the Promenade.

I hate treadmills as well, but they may be the best option for you if you are dedicated to training on your trip.

Whatever you choose to do, please-please-please don't do what an inconsiderate fellow cruiser did on the Glory a couple of years ago... He discovered that the passenger cabin hallways are pretty empty at 2am, and he ran at least 3 laps before Security stopped him.

I still can't believe how loud he was! The sound of his feet pounding on the metal deck (although it was carpeted) was just SLAM! SLAM! SLAM! SLAM! :eek:

We were on the Magic in Nov and I walked/ran on the track for an hour each day. If you do it early/early there are not many people, but wait later to 9 10 AM you will be using the track with walkers and kids playing golf. Also early early you can go down the stairs and run walk to the front of the ship. If you pick your times you can keep training - Good Luck :):);)

Just to let you know , on the running track people are walking all around playing putt putt and other activities . They don't bother looking around to see if their in anyone's way. Chasing balls and what not, just in a daze.

If your dedicated to a certain pace its hard to keep it .

I've run those distance too and I can't even begin to imagine running 15 miles around a lap track. Especially with the wind! I would either alternate between the treadmill and elliptical to break it up a bit or see if there are any reasonably safe ports to run in? Or even could u sneak it in early on embarkation day?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

You can run on the upper dedicated track on deck 12 (SPA) or down around deck 5 (Promenade). Upper deck was 9 laps/mile. I believe a loop around the Promenade is about 1/3 mile.

Expect big wind on the upper deck. I run in Hokas and the upper deck nearly destroyed my ankles and knees... much worse than concrete. Expect big wind, lots of people, and traffic jams on the Promenade.

I hate treadmills as well, but they may be the best option for you if you are dedicated to training on your trip.

How do you like your Hokas? I have been thinking about trying a pair.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Won a national (age group) ultra championship. I had to accept that either I don't vacation during training (and often didn't) or accept that running, especially the long run, will be much harder to come by. I often just accepted the treadmill to squeeze in a long run.

Yes, a treadmill isn't the same, but nor is a running track on a cruise ship, my advice is to just accept the treadmill as your best option, or try and do your long run the day before/day after the cruise and mix it up for one week.

I'm a distance runner too and have tried to do my long run on the track. It was miserable. Clumps of walkers and very windy. You may want to try to do it early on a port day, before any excursions or use the treadmill. I do anything I can to not run on the TM but it was a lifesaver my Thanksgiving cruise as I was finishing training for St. Jude.

We just came off the Magic a few weeks ago. Our first sea day had 35+ knot winds. Even walking into the wind was a challenge and it pushed me so hard from behind I almost fell over. The deck can also be slippery from kids and water. Then there was the guy who thought it was OK to jump rope at the edge of the track. So, if you are pulling into port and seas are smooth, you could get a run in - but be prepared to dodge walkers, people trying to get views at the balcony and kids chasing runaway balls. It's not going to be a zone out kind of experience and you are not going to be able to get any groove going. I would truly plan on the treadmill. They face out the bow of the ship so you have a nice view.

don't panic!!! It's a matter of switching up your training for a week. Good time for a taper week if the marathon is getting close.

But what you do is switch from a "hard" week to an "easy" week. Keeping your longer runs on the hard weeks. So for an easy week. Alternate, 2-3 miles on the track/treads one day with some tempo/interval tread runs (using the timer--1 minute on (marathon pace + 1minute), 1 minute off (jog); or 2 on 2 off--to set your workout. 30 minutes will do it.

In port use something like "map my run" or other running apps to discover a 4-8 mile loop near port that other runners have established. You'll be surprised at how much more rested you are when you get back and do that "hard" week and ramp up to the 25k lsd.