Oriana cruise cancelled?

silversurf

It certainly is within the Ts&Cs but I think why pax feel so hard done by is that other brands within the Carnival fleet offer much better compensation when a cruise is cancelled. Also, the length of this cruise makes the cancellation particularly difficult for the pax who booked it.

It certainly is within the Ts&Cs but I think why pax feel so hard done by is that other brands within the Carnival fleet offer much better compensation when a cruise is cancelled. Also, the length of this cruise makes the cancellation particularly difficult for the pax who booked it.

Indeed Andrew but I think a number of them "jumped ship" onto Aurora R801 and got very good deals (if they bought the Saver fares so will probably not be as unhappy as those who couldn't do that.

In 2013 the Azura was scheduled to come on a world cruise with Aurora and Arcadia but they had to cancel it due to poor sales. No matter how hard they tried they could not fill up Azura for a World Cruise!

Currently, Arcadia, Aurora and Azura are scheduled to visit Australia during Feb 2020.

It must be awful. If my week cruise had been cancelled I would have been upset but it would have been a minor inconvenience. Also I had done the ports before.

Cancelling such a long cruise is in a different league. All the arrangements to be away for so long. For many people a once in a lifetime experience. Also so close to sailing too.

Any amount of compensation would not eliminate the disappointment but the package from P and O seems particularly mean. Also the loss of early booking prices and benefits on a replacement cruise seems the insult added to the injury.

I am really sorry for the passengers concerned.

I wonder if anybody has looked at this from an unfair contract term or package tour regulation perspective.

Best wishes, Stephen.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think it was a brave but wise decision taken by P&O. I too would have been very, very disappointed by the cancellation but I know that I would rather have my cruise cancelled 6 weeks out than be stranded somewhere in the Atlantic with propulsion problems in possible Winter storms.

We've had quite a few people transfer to Ventura which is 35 nights in the Caribbean, New Orleans, Florida and Charleston - so a shorter but very similar itinerary. From what I've read other people have also transferred to other cruises on Ventura Oceana, Aurora and legs of world Cruises. Not what they'd hoped I know but better than nothing I cannot see how there can be legal redress. P&O didn't do this to make money but to prevent a potentially far serious problem.

• 1 month later...

We were booked on this cancelled Oriana cruise. P&O did not tell us it was cancelled. we were on a cruise from Japan to Sydney when a tour booked was refunded to our c.c. without explanation. Emails to P&O asking why this happened were not returned. we then asked a friend in UK to try and find out why they tour was cancelled. She found out the whole cruise was cancelled! Eventually we found an email of a staff member to ask about this, he replied a letter had been sent to our home address, no email sent! well there was no letter waiting for us when we got home to Australia and still no letter to today! How is that for customer service..if we had not booked one tour we would have flown to UK on Dec 27th and found the cruise cancelled!!! As others have said the 5% compensation for credit is woeful! We are now in the process of attempting to get a refund for the cruise..and we were also booked on the subsequent X802 Oriana cruise to Norway, which we naturally cancelled as well as we couldn't fill in the 50 days waiting...oh P&O did suggest we could sail on Queen Mary for 37 nights and pay another 3000gbp each! Yeah, not likely!

Trying to get straight answers on getting a refund is impossible, UK say there will be refunds coming from Australian office, Sydney say it's coming from UK...conflicting info and no one replies to emails from UK...makes it impossible when you live in Australia and the UK office is handling it all..we are $12000AUD out of pocket for last 6 months and can't see it coming back any time soon!

Rodbarry, P&O did send a snail mail letter to us for formal notification of cancellation. We have also received our full refund for the cruise, paid via the TA so we did have to wait a couple of weeks. We also claimed for the additional cost of insurance, that was refunded within a week. Keep chasing your TA for your refund, and any out of pocket cost related to this cruise, claim direct from P&O. I agree that 5% is poor compensation, but I guess they have to set a limit and stick to it........ I do remember you from the Aurora 2016 cruise.

Rodbarry, P&O did send a snail mail letter to us for formal notification of cancellation. We have also received our full refund for the cruise, paid via the TA so we did have to wait a couple of weeks. We also claimed for the additional cost of insurance, that was refunded within a week. Keep chasing your TA for your refund, and any out of pocket cost related to this cruise, claim direct from P&O. I agree that 5% is poor compensation, but I guess they have to set a limit and stick to it........ I do remember you from the Aurora 2016 cruise.

Hello Otter 18, so we were on the Aurora 16 cruise, fancy that, you often meet up with people from past cruises! we booked direct with P&O onboard, so have no TA. We cannot believe the pathetic service received from P&O particularly when the cancellation is there problem and doing! They just do not want to reply to any emails. In desperation yesterday I sent emails to every facebook page of their's I could find and finally someone replied, contacted accounts in head office who said there had been a total stuff up with our cheques and that maybe we would get the money paid direct into our bank account....we'll see if and when that eventuates! If P&O was a small private enterprise they would be out of business acting like this! The 5% compensation offered not even equates to the interest they have gained from our money over the 6 months they have had it, so they aren't giving us anything, actually taking from us by not giving the full interest! we don't expect to see the refund for quite some time yet!

Commiserations to those caught up n the Oriana cancellation. Don't hold your breath re your refund. I waited almost 2 months for our Adonia x 2 deposits when the ship was sold under us. :evilsmile:

I too sent countless E mails which were not answered.:evilsmile: