Noise cancelling headphones or earbuds

midwestchick

I have Bose QuietComfort 15, and find them very good for any kind of machine noise - and even for the occasional use at the office when the others are speaking too loud. But they are very expensive - especially in Denmark

My DH have some Philips in-ear that are also active nose cancelling, they are much cheaper - and he is very happy with them. I do not like in-ear so YMMW :)

So glad that I saw this thread. I am also interested in noise cancelling headphones as I will be flying this year to FLL and then next year overseas. I have pretty much always flown business class overseas so they give you the Bose headphones but next year I will be in coach so I will need to buy a pair. I see where everyone really likes the ear buds but my problem was that they hurt my ears and fell out. I am going to research and see what I can find. I still have 7 weeks till my domestic flight so I have plenty of time to find a pair.

For $30 the Able Planet's are a great deal and are effective. I have had no problems with them http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ble_noise.html

Worth a try for the price?

See if you have a BOSE store at a mall near you. They will have both the over ear and ear buds so you can try them. They both run about $300 (us). I have the over ear ones and am looking at picking up the earbuds myself.(for the sole reason of wanting to take up less space. the hard case is nice but takes up precious carry on space).

Also, somebody mentioned Flyertalk........just be warned. If you think this website can get a little mean sometimes....it is very tame to what FT gets. They get downright nasty over there. There is a lot of good info, you just have to dig through tons and tons of nonsense and crap to find it.

I love the ear bud headphones that come with Samsung Galaxy series tablets (but you can buy them separately too, they're dirt cheap):

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Headphone-Handsfree-EHS44ASSBE-GH59-10443B/dp/B00KH9BY4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1410404758&sr=8-1

These are the only ear buds that a) don't hurt my ears; b) don't fall out unless I'm jogging; and c) do a really decent job canceling out noises. The microphone is just a bonus, I've used it a couple of times when talking on Skype.

I keep buying more pairs since apparently I'm also really good at losing them (because I take them with me everywhere).

See if you have a BOSE store at a mall near you. They will have both the over ear and ear buds so you can try them. They both run about $300 (us). I have the over ear ones and am looking at picking up the earbuds myself.(for the sole reason of wanting to take up less space. the hard case is nice but takes up precious carry on space).

Also, somebody mentioned Flyertalk........just be warned. If you think this website can get a little mean sometimes....it is very tame to what FT gets. They get downright nasty over there. There is a lot of good info, you just have to dig through tons and tons of nonsense and crap to find it.

I know...I was over there reading. ;) :eek:

I'm not going to spend the money on the Bose earbuds...I did buy some earbuds to go with my iPad. And, since the Samsung are that reasonable, I may pick up a pair of those...or else just a decent pair of ear plugs. I really don't have the time to shop before we leave. I have too much last minute things to take care of.

Thanks for all the great advice. :D

Edited by midwestchick

So glad that I saw this thread. I am also interested in noise cancelling headphones as I will be flying this year to FLL and then next year overseas. I have pretty much always flown business class overseas so they give you the Bose headphones but next year I will be in coach so I will need to buy a pair. I see where everyone really likes the ear buds but my problem was that they hurt my ears and fell out. I am going to research and see what I can find. I still have 7 weeks till my domestic flight so I have plenty of time to find a pair.

I have found the Bose earbuds stay in my ears with no problem and don't fall out even when I wear them to work out. They are the only earbuds I have ever tried (and I've tried many types) which stay in my ears and don't hurt. The drawback is they are very expensive and I already had Bose noise canceling headphones, so hesitated to buy them, but I'm glad I did. I got them at Best Buy.

If you want to just block noise and not listen to music then ear plugs are the way to go. They are inexpensive and if inserted correctly can block a lot of the ambient noise.

That's what I plan on doing. I do plan on downloading some music on my iPad though too...seems like there are only 12 hours in a day the way time is flying.

That's what I plan on doing. I do plan on downloading some music on my iPad though too...seems like there are only 12 hours in a day the way time is flying.

I have an album I downloaded to my ipad from itunes called Serenity. 160 soothing "spa-like" songs. Put you right out. Almost 9 continuous hours. I listen to it on all flights (with my Bose headphones). Best $15 I ever spent.

I am iPad challenged :o :o...just got one recently and haven't really spent the time to learn how to download apps...hoping maybe I'll get some help with that this weekend. It's strange how I can fall asleep with the tv on, but on flights I need to have it quiet. The overnight and time difference doesn't help either.

I am iPad challenged :o :o...just got one recently and haven't really spent the time to learn how to download apps...hoping maybe I'll get some help with that this weekend. It's strange how I can fall asleep with the tv on, but on flights I need to have it quiet. The overnight and time difference doesn't help either.

You have the App Store already on your ipad. Tap it, do a search, tap the download now, and it shows on your home page.

I currently have a pair of Bose QC-15 over-the-ear headphones. Love 'em. They have helped me drown out the noises of Economy class flights and get some quality sleep on many a long flight.

Before I got the Bose, I had a nice pair of Shure E3c earphones. Really excellent sound isolation, not just noise canceling. There is a specific way to put them in your ears and if you don't follow that, you don't get the proper fit and noise will get in. The Shures are what you see a lot of the musicians wearing - you can get a custom-ear-fit piece if you want to pay for it. Shure doesn't make these anymore, but they do have newer versions. Expect to pay $200+ for them.

I have the Shure SE315 and love them. I can sleep with these in my ears unlike the bulky over the ear (look like a DJ) headphones. The other benefit to the ear buds is they are super compact and can be carried anywhere and take up literally no space. I travel every week and refuse to dedicate the big headphone space in my compact bag.

Does anyone have either one of these? I'm hoping to get something that will cancel out the noise on flights. DH reminded me how cranky I can sometimes get on flights, especially when there are screaming babies.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated.

I usually can't sleep on flights but I'm hoping something like this will help on our upcoming flight. It would be nice to be somewhat rested when we arrive in France.

I have not read the whole thread but I think this is a personal choice question. I do not like earphones -- they make my ears sweat and I feel foolish and I just don't like them since cheapo ones of the 1970's :eek:

I love my longish soft earbuds -- get them for about 20$ at electronics shop. Usually love a long chord so old MP3 player can be in shirt pocket. I don't care for the hard button type at all.(another personal choice) I am very used to sleeping with the earbuds in -- my defense against DH's tendency to get on his back and sleep SOUNDLY!!:D That and my small beads neck pillow and I am ready to zone out.

Try out both if you can. The earbuds cheap enough to just buy but the earphones can get very pricey. Which do you like? How heavy are they on your head? Do your ears feel flattened (with earphones) or like you have stuff in your ears (earbuds). Only you can tell.

Good luck in your quest. Whatever you choose, use them at home for several days/weeks to become used to them.

There are different types of earbuds. I like the ones that are not round but more elongated and go slightly into the ear canal. I think they might be "ear candy" brand -- something aimed at teens. You might also try phone earbud?

Just keep looking -- I had many pair before I found THE ONEs.