Next Cruise......but with who?!?

KandyCruise81

My husband and I went on our first cruise this past august and I have to say that we loved it and are hooked on cruising! We are looking to book our next cruise for some time in 2019 but there are so many options that we are overwhelmed with the options of who to cruise with and what ship within the cruise line. We know that we want to do a Eastern Caribbean cruise. So my questions to you, cruise community, when is the best time to cruise that way? What cruise line/ship do you like for that type of cruise? Our last cruise was on the Carnival Inspiration to Catalina / Ensenada and it was great for what it was but we definitely want to do something a little more adult based / upscale but still with decent activities on the ship, if that is even a thing.:confused:

Thx!:D

It's always hard to recommend a cruise line not knowing you're interests and your budget.

You may wish to work with a TA that specializes in Cruises. We cannot give you a recommendation per CC rules so I would ask friends you know who cruise if they have a recommendation.

I think nice time to sail the Eastern Caribbean is February thru April.

Keith

You might consider RCI Oasis class ships out of Fort Lauderdale....the eastern caribbean is a favorite...check out pricing as it can vary greatly depending on the month you opt to go. Check out their website and do a bit of research yourself.

It's always hard to recommend a cruise line not knowing you're interests and your budget.

You may wish to work with a TA that specializes in Cruises. We cannot give you a recommendation per CC rules so I would ask friends you know who cruise if they have a recommendation.

I think nice time to sail the Eastern Caribbean is February thru April.

Keith

Thanks Keith! I should read the rules a little more. I'm still getting used to the board rules! #rookiemistake ;p

I would also recommend getting either Fodor's or Frommer's Caribbean Ports of Call. These books describe the various ports of call, the various cruise lines, the individual ships, the culture aboard each ship, dress codes, etc.

Everyone is going to have a favourite port or cruise line or ship, so you will get multiple opinions. I find the books to be more objective in helping you determine what works best for you.

There are many ports in the Eastern Caribbean region, some which are wonderful, others which i would avoid. Then, something else to consider is that several of the best and more popular ports in this route, like St. Maarten, St. Thomas, San Juan and Tortola, were severely battered by the hurricanes of the 2017 season.

While all of them are gradually making a comeback and popping back up on itineraries, it will be a while before they are back to what they used to be before the hurricanes. If your cruise won’t be for another 6 months to a year, it shouldn’t be much of an issue by then.

If you see an itinerary that includes Nassau, I would shy away from it. This port is very common on short, cheapie itineraries, but in my humble opinion, it doesn’t belong in longer itineraries, yet the cruise lines insist on including it.

Other ports, like Grand Turk. and the various private destinations like Princess Cays, Half Moon Cay, and Labadee, are great for a day of relaxation at the beach, but not so much to truly sightsee and see what the region has to offer.

As far as the cruise lines go, it’s a bit hard to suggest one without knowing more details about your likes or dislikes. Carnival is good for a casual, budget minded experience, Norwegian is known for their “freestyle” concept. Royal Caribbean is a great option for those seeking ships and entertainment that bring out that wow factor. Princess and Celebrity are good for those seeking a bit more upscale and refined experience without breaking the bank. and Holland America is more suited for those with an appreciation for the small details and who have an eye for the finer things.

Hope you enjoy your next cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

There are many ports in the Eastern Caribbean region, some which are wonderful, others which i would avoid. Then, something else to consider is that several of the best and more popular ports in this route, like St. Maarten, St. Thomas, San Juan and Tortola, were severely battered by the hurricanes of the 2017 season.

While all of them are gradually making a comeback and popping back up on itineraries, it will be a while before they are back to what they used to be before the hurricanes. If your cruise won’t be for another 6 months to a year, it shouldn’t be much of an issue by then.

If you see an itinerary that includes Nassau, I would shy away from it. This port is very common on short, cheapie itineraries, but in my humble opinion, it doesn’t belong in longer itineraries, yet the cruise lines insist on including it.

Other ports, like Amber Cove, Grand Turk. and the various private destinations like Princess Cays, Half Moon Cay, and Labadee, are great for a day of relaxation at the beach, but not so much to truly sightsee and see what the region has to offer.

As far as the cruise lines go, it’s a bit hard to suggest one without knowing more details about your likes or dislikes. Carnival is good for a casual, budget minded experience, Norwegian is known for their “freestyle” concept. Royal Caribbean is great option for those seeking that wow factor. Princess and Celebrity are good for those seeking a bit more upscale and refined experience without breaking the bank. and Holland America is more suited for those with an appreciation for the small details and have an eye for the finer things.

Hope you enjoy your next cruise!

Your post actually helps us a lot. Probably should have worded my original post a little better becuase this is what I was looking for! Thank you so much!!

Our last cruise was on the Carnival Inspiration to Catalina / Ensenada and it was great for what it was but we definitely want to do something a little more adult based / upscale but still with decent activities on the ship, if that is even a thing.:confused:

Based on this sentence, I recommend Celebrity or Princess...in that order. Celebrity Solstice Class ships are some of the most beautiful at sea. I say Princess 2nd because their ships are a little more dated and crowded. I recommend avoiding Holland America. While HAL is certainly more adult oriented, the on-board activities/entertainment are very lacking.

Thanks Keith! I should read the rules a little more. I'm still getting used to the board rules! #rookiemistake ;p

To clarify, it's travel agents we can't recommend. We can certainly recommend cruise lines.

I recommend avoiding Holland America.

I wouldn’t necessarily say “avoid Holland America”. When we sailed on them, I thought that it was just OK, and I agree about the entertainment being less than stellar. But my 71 year old mother was fascinated with their product. She’s the one that pointed out all the attention to detail and the little things that I had otherwise missed. She also loved other elements like the Culinary Center and the cooking classes, the lectures, as well as Le Cirque at the Pinnacle Grill; things that I really didn’t care much for. But for someone with her preferences, HAL was a perfect fit.

I do agree that Princess and Celebrity would be the choice for someone who wants a bit more upscale experience while still keeping some of the elements of the more mainstream cruise lines.

I wouldn’t necessarily say “avoid Holland America”. When we sailed on them, I thought that it was just OK, and I agree about the entertainment being less than stellar. But my 71 year old mother was fascinated with their product. She’s the one that pointed out all the attention to detail and the little things that I had otherwise missed. She also loved other elements like the Culinary Center and the cooking classes, the lectures, as well as Le Cirque at the Pinnacle Grill; things that I really didn’t care much for. But for someone with her preferences, HAL was a perfect fit.

I do agree that Princess and Celebrity would be the choice for someone who wants a bit more upscale experience while still keeping some of the elements of the more mainstream cruise lines.

I agree with you in general, but my advice was specific to the OP because they said they were looking for a line with good activities. I've enjoyed my HAL cruises, including just 2 months ago on K'dam, but activities is not one of HAL's strengths. Celebrity and Princess are much better in that area.

I agree with you in general, but my advice was specific to the OP because they said they were looking for a line with good activities. I've enjoyed my HAL cruises, including just 2 months ago on K'dam, but activities is not one of HAL's strengths. Celebrity and Princess are much better in that area.

Gotcha. And agreed!

My husband and I went on our first cruise this past august and I have to say that we loved it and are hooked on cruising! We are looking to book our next cruise for some time in 2019 but there are so many options that we are overwhelmed with the options of who to cruise with and what ship within the cruise line. We know that we want to do a Eastern Caribbean cruise. So my questions to you, cruise community, when is the best time to cruise that way? What cruise line/ship do you like for that type of cruise? Our last cruise was on the Carnival Inspiration to Catalina / Ensenada and it was great for what it was but we definitely want to do something a little more adult based / upscale but still with decent activities on the ship, if that is even a thing.:confused:

Thx!:D

Hi

I would start by browsing online with all of the cruiselines, don't restrict your search with just the mainstream (lower priced) companies. Sign up for their emails, you can get their flyers. These give you a good sense of their target audience. The more expensive, and longer cruises will attract an older crowd. Certain ships that are marketed as a "destination" are going to attract more families that require entertainment 24/7.

Take the time to evaluate what some of the more upscale cruise lines have to offer. Sometimes with included promotions they can be a very good value, as well as offering a superior product. Considering your timeline, you aren't going to be rushed, although I would you make your decision and book as soon as your are certain. Use a TA if you know a good one. Ask questions about anything you are unsure of, before you book.

Once you have a better idea of what you are considering, then come back to this site and ask specific questions about the cruise line and ships on the threads dedicated to each specific cruise line.

As far as your choice of destinations, anytime would be nice to visit. You do have to take into account, when school is out, there will be more families (children) onboard. Of course for the Caribbean a good part of the year is considered "hurricane" season. If that is a concern to you, travel between Dec. and June.

happy hunting

have a great cruise