Change a 3-for-free booking?

bgyoshi

We booked through a TA, 2 balconies during the 3-for-free promotion. But my mother just decided to not go anymore. Final payment is due 2/5/18. We want to change the booking to one stateroom for 3 people instead (husband, 3 year old son, and myself).

We also have a mini-suite booked for 3 people.

They're saying we will lose all our promotion deals (the OBC, free gratuities...) and possibly incur a fee change for the flights associated with the booking, even though we didn't pay for the flights yet. Does this sound right?

Any advice/idea on what's the best deal? Said the best they can do now is the Princess anniversary sale, which has some OBC, but no more free gratuity.

Can we theoretically move the 3rd person from the mini-suite to fill my mother's spot so we retain all the 3-for-free deals?

Edited by bgyoshi
More Info

Can we theoretically move the 3rd person from the mini-suite to fill my mother's spot so we retain all the 3-for-free deals?

I don't see why they wouldn't allow a name change which would keep all the same amenities.

Canceling her as the 3rd person in the other cabin shouldn't be a problem either.

Curious to know if they don't allow the above. Let us know.

When you book a cabin on a cruise, it is booked under someone's name over 21. You cannot change that name without canceling the booking. Any additional pax booked in that room can be changed without charge so we were told. So when out DS and his family wanted to go on a cruise with us, we booked one room under my name and one room under my DW's name so that we could get someone else to take his place if he could not go. This was suggested by the onboard future cruise consultant the first time we did it. Once on board it was a simple task to get the right pax with the correct sea card and door access. It sounds like your mother was used to book one of the cabins and now must cancel.

IMO, the TA isn't worth much. I'd be speaking with Princess Customer Relations and see if they cannot just move one passenger to another cabin. I think you are looking to replace one person with another who is not sailing. Steps:

1. Find out and confirm with Princess if your Mother cancels out of her space, can a new person be substituted with no fare change? Presumably there is another adult in her cabin.

2. If answer YES, then cancel son out as the third person in your cabin. All that does is remove third person, reduce your amount owing and generate a refund of deposit for 3rd person.

3. Once that is completed, contact again to replace Mom with son.

The catch is that they might want to do the replacement as a new booking and re-fare at current deals. IDK if that has to affect the other person in cabin with your Mom. Say two friends cruise together and not married... why should the actions of cruiser one affect the other person's fare? Don't have the entire picture here, but I would discuss with Princess first and see what they will do and have them document on the res and then call TA to get them to act. If you discover the TA wasn't helpful or not really working for you, I'd find a new TA as well and transfer the booking before final payment.

Good luck.

UPDATE - Yes, I believe I agree with SAXTDIVER who posted while I was typing. If your Mom was primary on her cabin, you may be out of luck for that cabin's pricing. But it might be better than alternatives. Anyway, you have nothing to lose by trying Customer Relations and ask nicely about your predicament. SAXT had the right strategy.

Edited by steelers36
SAXTDIVER post..

Stateroom 1: Me and my mother

Stateroom 2: Husband and son

Mini-suite: mother and father in laws, brother in law.

My mother can’t go for sure and don’t think there’s anyone to replace her.

So they said if we wanted to cancel staterooms 1 and 2 to change to a mini-suite or 3 person stateroom for me, my husband and son, we’d have to book current deals and lose out on the 3-for-free.

So they said if we wanted to cancel staterooms 1 and 2 to change to a mini-suite or 3 person stateroom for me, my husband and son, we’d have to book current deals and lose out on the 3-for-free.

One option you mentioned is to cancel stateroom 1 and add you as a third person to stateroom 2.

Unless stateroom 2 can accommodate three people, you would need to switch to a stateroom that is designed for three people. Princess could probably tell you if you can do that without losing your promotions, but they are probably going to say that since you have booked with a travel agent they cannot talk to you about pricing.

as been said you'll have t get your TA to talk to princess to work something out because princess cannot talk to you about your booking since you used a TA

As for the airfare change, did you select “flexible”air when you booked? If so those can be changed or cancelled as often as you like as long as it’s outside of 45 days from the sailing date. If you choose the non flexible then changing them will be a problem

As for the airfare change, did you select “flexible”air when you booked? If so those can be changed or cancelled as often as you like as long as it’s outside of 45 days from the sailing date. If you choose the non flexible then changing them will be a problem

Yes we did. Because I’ve already changed it once on my own via Princess’s website, the price went down and I rebooked it for a lower price.

Okay, so this is quite clear to me now. You have three main choices.

SCENARIO 1

You keep all the existing bookings. B-I-L cancels out of the Mini as 3rd passenger. No impact to the cabin "deals" and a refund of deposit comes since they are ahead of final payment. The next day, substitute B-I-L for your Mom as I assume you are primary booker in your cabin with her. You should get paid by B-I-L at least the fare he would have paid as 3rd person in the Mini. On the ship B-I-L actually stays with his parents and you have your own cabin, or move son in there - whatever.

SCENARIO 2

You were looking to save money by dropping back two two cabins. If you cancel your booking, no impact as ahead of final payment. You would then be added as a third with husband. I gather this is impossible as your husband's balcony is for 2 occupancy, or you want a Mini if putting 3 in one cabin.

SCENARIO 3

You cancel both balconies and re-book your own family of three into a Mini under whatever the current pricing is.

So, now it's just math. Which way - #1 or #3 - gives you the best value in your mind in terms of cost/benefit?

Okay, so this is quite clear to me now. You have three main choices.

SCENARIO 1

You keep all the existing bookings. B-I-L cancels out of the Mini as 3rd passenger. No impact to the cabin "deals" and a refund of deposit comes since they are ahead of final payment. The next day, substitute B-I-L for your Mom as I assume you are primary booker in your cabin with her. You should get paid by B-I-L at least the fare he would have paid as 3rd person in the Mini. On the ship B-I-L actually stays with his parents and you have your own cabin, or move son in there - whatever.

SCENARIO 2

You were looking to save money by dropping back two two cabins. If you cancel your booking, no impact as ahead of final payment. You would then be added as a third with husband. I gather this is impossible as your husband's balcony is for 2 occupancy, or you want a Mini if putting 3 in one cabin.

SCENARIO 3

You cancel both balconies and re-book your own family of three into a Mini under whatever the current pricing is.

So, now it's just math. Which way - #1 or #3 - gives you the best value in your mind in terms of cost/benefit?

Thanks! I really needed to see that written all clear and precise. I ended up choosing 3. Less of a "deal" but overall spending less money.