Celebrity Silhouette 21st July RUSSIA cruise

rhodesgolfer

Dear Critics,

Whilst I booked my cruise to Russia a year ago, I wasn't going to be aware that there would be diplomatic conflict and the threat of war between the UK and Russia.

The Celebrity Silhouette docks for 3 days in St. Petersburg. I've been twice before and love the destination. Sadly, I'm VERY concerned about my families safety as I fear the people of "mother Russia" may not be hospitable or even worse.

What do you guys think? Should I be fearful?

Should I ask to swap cruises?

kindest regards

Rhodesgolfer

I would. Having been there before (we have also) the risks appear to outweigh the gains of visiting St Petersburg under the current conditions. Need to remember that Russia is NOT a democracy and is not known for its "human rights." Additionally, the increasingly hostile situation in Syria is likely to increase Russian animosity towards the US, UK and European nations and their citizens.

From MY point of view, just as long as it is a 'political' upheaval and NOT social, there will be few issues to worry about.

It does not, from the America's news reports, appear to be a social issue spilling into the streets.

Yet, you must do what you feel most comfortable doing and I can understand for sure.

I trust you get it sorted out quickly.

bon voyage

Of slight concern at the moment is Russia's assertion that Yulia Skripal's reported refusal of consulate support is not true and therefore they assert she is being held against her will. This could result in a tit for tat situation - I personally think the bigger risk is if football supporters get themselves arrested at this year's World Cup. I suspect if they want to play awkward with cruise passengers it will be more straightforward to deny them entry.

I was waiting for when the first posts were going to come on the board regarding the Russian issues. I expect you won’t be on your own in deciding whether to go ashore or not, or whether to even take the cruise.

A few years ago, there were many posts discussing whether to go ahead with European cruises due to the migrant/Turkey issues - many pax cancelled, no doubt there will be some that also do this time around. The result ended in many cabins at highly reduced prices. I recall the top suites being available at $2000 each on our Connie cruise. It will be interesting to see if pax do in fact start cancelling this close to the official opening season for that area.

I messaged Celebrity a couple of weeks ago. This was their reply:

Hi Jackie,

We are currently still planning on visiting St Petersburg on all Baltic sailings this summer. We do monitor all situations closely, the safety and security of all our guests and crew are always our primary focus. At this time no further information is available to us and we will continue with our planned itinerary. Should travel advice change we will notify you or your travel agent directly.

Thanks, Celebrity Cruises UK.

• 4 weeks later...

Just booked the same cruise. Being Brits we are not so concerned. We are used to political rhetoric. A few months ago the world thought the USA and North Korea were on the edge and now Messrs Trump and Kim are preparing for a love in. The one bit of advice we have been given is to use Celebrity's official tours rather than go solo - if only to avoid applying for a visa which, for U.K. Citizens, may take longer than usual.

The one bit of advice we have been given is to use Celebrity's official tours rather than go solo - if only to avoid applying for a visa which, for U.K. Citizens, may take longer than usual.

There is no need to apply for a visa if you use a Government approved agency, SPB, Alla etc. We used SPB in 2015 and were very pleased.

This year (23./06/18 sailing) we are using Celebrity for a multitude of reasons:

1) Last year, the smaller agencies were not allowed on to the port to pick up passengers, until the larger coaches had been cleared.

2) We are in St Petersburg 2 days before a World Cup Match. I would prefer the security of a larger coach.

3) I don’t want to repeat what I saw in 2015 and so I am going with Celebrity, as they have excursions that are ‘different.’

4) If there is trouble, Celebrity will not visit, so I am ensured I will get my money back.

Dear Critics,

Whilst I booked my cruise to Russia a year ago, I wasn't going to be aware that there would be diplomatic conflict and the threat of war between the UK and Russia.

The Celebrity Silhouette docks for 3 days in St. Petersburg. I've been twice before and love the destination. Sadly, I'm VERY concerned about my families safety as I fear the people of "mother Russia" may not be hospitable or even worse.

What do you guys think? Should I be fearful?

Should I ask to swap cruises?

kindest regards

Rhodesgolfer

We'll be there on June 1 and 2 and hopefully there won't be any problems. Don't go if you don't hear from me.

• 4 weeks later...
Hmmm. It's June 5. Need we be worried? :-)

Nope, absolutely no problem. Everyone was as friendly and kind. No problems getting off the ship on the first day. Celebrity let us off the ship at 8:00 am it only took about 20 - 30 min to clear immigration. The second day was a breeze that only took about 1 min. The only potential issue is if you have a problem the Embassy is in Moscow so that may take a few days. Watch out for pickpockets and protect your passport.

Otherwise St Petersburg was great, enjoy your trip.

On a side note we had a great day in Stockholm yesterday, but during the Captains announcement this morning he told us that he was worried about getting to Stockholm. It is a beautiful trip into Stockholm with several narrow passages. The Captain said that the port was closed today, presumably because of winds. I’d never heard of problems getting to Stockholm. If your Trip is scheduled for Stockholm, I hope you make it.

Edited by bigbeergut