Butchart Gardens - Solstice docks at 5:30 p.m. Will we see much in May?

CruisinCooperSt

First timers!! We understand that Butchart Gardens are beautiful, but Solstice doesn't arrive until 5:30 p.m. (sailing in May). Will there be enough time to see the gardens before the sun sets? Or should we just poke around Victoria and do our own thing? We just want to maximize our time in Victoria. Experienced opinions greatly appreciated!!

First timers!! We understand that Butchart Gardens are beautiful, but Solstice doesn't arrive until 5:30 p.m. (sailing in May). Will there be enough time to see the gardens before the sun sets? Or should we just poke around Victoria and do our own thing? We just want to maximize our time in Victoria. Experienced opinions greatly appreciated!!

I looked at their website here, and the Gardens close at 5 pm in May, unfortunately. Not the news you were hoping for, I’m sure, but at least you can make decisions accordingly!

Apr1 1 to May 31 9am to 5pm, Celebrity has several excursions with the wrong times and / or days. One example is our Hawaii cruise and Pacific Coast on the overnight ports, several tours are programmed at 8:31AM when they are Night Tours.

Wouldn't they stay open for Solstice since the Celebrity site is selling excursions?

It sounds as though they should, if the excursion is booked through the ship!

There’s a table of sunrise and sunset times for Victoria, for May, and sunset is getting on for 9 pm by mid-May, so you should be able to see pretty well for at least a while, depending on how soon they get you there..

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/canada/victoria?month=5

In past seasons they have stayed open late to accommodate ship tours. You could confirm directly with Butchart for this season in case there have been changes, but you are correct that the cruise lines (all of them) are still selling excursions with the intention of their passengers seeing the gardens during evening calls in May.

It does take a while to get to the gardens from the port, so your viewing time is probably going to be a couple of hours to maybe 3 hours in May. The gardens are beautiful but you do need more time than that to do them justice. Our ship got there in the morning, and I was fortunate enough to spend a good part of the day viewing the gardens. It will take at least 5 to 6 hours to see most of the park and truly enjoy what it has to offer, and that is rushing it in my opinion.

I think that advice is accurate if you're really, really into gardens, but you can get the gist in an hour or two. A "taster" is still much more impressive than most other gardens you'll see. If you know you'll be back and want to spend more time, then I'd just stay around the harbor in Victoria proper. But if you think this is likely your only trip, I think it's well worth a visit to Butchart.

In past seasons they have stayed open late to accommodate ship tours. You could confirm directly with Butchart for this season in case there have been changes, but you are correct that the cruise lines (all of them) are still selling excursions with the intention of their passengers seeing the gardens during evening calls in May.

We did this tour May 2016 . Gardens stay open for cruise ship tours only .It's beautiful but maybe 2 hours of daylight no crowds .We have Tea & Gardens tour....tea was at the park pavilion. Butchard is big there's not enough time to see all. We saw the Parliament and Victoria harbour in our way to the ship from the bus . Back to Solstice around 10:30pm was freezing and long walk from drop off to the gangway. Very nice tour will do it again.

Greta

Dress warm in layers as it gets cool in Victoria at night. A wind or water proof jacket would be a good idea. It cools off fast at night. I live in Victoria and always take a sweater or jacket when going out at night even in the summer when it seem hot as the temp can drop fast.

The garden also has lights at night. It depends on your priorities. If you are a gardener or nature lover and think you won't ever likely be in Vancouver again, then Butchart is a must see.

Agreed. Unless you are a real garden nerd, a couple of hours is just fine. Lots of rare trees as well as interesting plants. Very fine traditional spring show of bulbs. Different garden sections: small alpine, large english, japenese. Lovely nifty gifty shop. The teas are very nice too.

Victoria is not somewhere with many attractions open late. Your realistic options are downtown shopping and general wandering - none of the sites stay open beyond about 5pm at this time of year so you can't get inside. The one exception would be a cruiseline bus tour to Butchart - which are generally overpriced by a hefty sum, but are the only way you could get into the gardens with that arrival time.

I concur with the 'if it is a one and done visit, suck up the spendiness and take a cruiseline bus to the gardens' advice. But if you ever plan to return, do it right - spend at least couple of nights on the Island, see all the many things that are not in Victoria as well as hitting the gardens in daylight on your own schedule - so this time around just go and have a walk around Beacon Hill Park and downtown, then enjoy a few beers.

I agree that if this is a one and done chance to visit and you are a garden fanatic (like we are), then go ahead and book the tour. We were not there in May, but we were there late season in September. We had a couple hours (maybe a little less) of daylight time, and then the garden was lit up, very pretty. That said, even a couple hours to see the whole gardens is pushing it for anyone who is really into gardens. We liked it so much we wanted to spend more time there so we went again, renting a car, when we had a port stop in Victoria. Very, very beautiful gardens not to be missed for garden fanatics.

Unfortunately you would not make it to the gardens no matter what you did. You take a ferry over to Victoria, which is about 90 minutes and then you need to drive to the Gardens, which is about 30 minutes. Butchart is absolutely beautiful but you need at least a half day to really appreciate it. If you really want to see the gardens, I would recommend spending 2 nights in Vancouver....loads to see and do there and you could take a tour that brings you to the gardens and back to the hotel....or take the ferry and go on your own, but getting from Victoria to the Gardens could be difficult....it's not that close.

Unfortunately you would not make it to the gardens no matter what you did. You take a ferry over to Victoria, which is about 90 minutes and then you need to drive to the Gardens, which is about 30 minutes. Butchart is absolutely beautiful but you need at least a half day to really appreciate it. If you really want to see the gardens, I would recommend spending 2 nights in Vancouver....loads to see and do there and you could take a tour that brings you to the gardens and back to the hotel....or take the ferry and go on your own, but getting from Victoria to the Gardens could be difficult....it's not that close.

I'm confused by your post. On our Solstice cruise two years ago, we stopped in Victoria and took the ship's tour to the gardens. It was a fairly long bus ride, but there was no ferry involved. The ship actually docked in Victoria.

I'm confused by your (hydrokitty's) post. On our Solstice cruise two years ago, we stopped in Victoria and took the ship's tour to the gardens. It was a fairly long bus ride, but there was no ferry involved. The ship actually docked in Victoria.

Pretty sure Hydrokitty missed the mention of Victoria in OP's question and has answered as if they were coming from Vancouver... Butchart is ~30mins drive from Victoria without traffic issues.

Pretty sure Hydrokitty missed the mention of Victoria in OP's question and has answered as if they were coming from Vancouver... Butchart is ~30mins drive from Victoria without traffic issues.

Correct. The gardens are located in a more rural area outside of the city itself and awkward to get to unless you cab, drive yourself or take a tour.

Another point to make is that to tour the garden there is a lot of walking, some up and down and stairs to the lovely central part where the original quarry was replanted. So if you have some mobility challenges, be aware, it will take you a bit more time to visit.

I lived on Vancouver Island for many years and have visited the gardens many many times. How long you need really is dependent on the type of garden interest you have. My husband is perfectly happy with a couple of hours. I, like a previous respondent, could spend the day. I think an evening tour would be a lovely first taste.

I also echo the comments of a previous respondent, Victoria does "roll up the carpets" in the evening. Some lovely restaurants to enjoy (Pescatore across from the Empress is great for seafood) and the parliament buildings are beautifully lit for your 'walkabout' pictures but other options of things to do are limited.

Have a 'Rogers' chocolate while you are there and, look at the original Rogers shop on Government street (not the ice cream one), a fine example of Art Deco. The provincial museum is very much worth a visit but will close for the evening unless the ship has arranged something (they do have private evening openings for corporate functions so maybe?).

One the best experiences we ever had was high time tea. They served us the traditional tea in porcelain cups followed by finger sandwiches on a there tier tray and then they brought out warm scones with clotted cream and various jams. We had a outside table and the food was great but the view was one you don’t forget.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I'm confused by your post. On our Solstice cruise two years ago, we stopped in Victoria and took the ship's tour to the gardens. It was a fairly long bus ride, but there was no ferry involved. The ship actually docked in Victoria.

That explains a lot!! When we docked from HAL, we docked in Vancouver and stayed at the Pan Pacific. From Vancouver we took a ferry and then a bus! If you're docking in Victoria, I take it all back and you should have plenty of time to enjoy the gardens.....they are magnificent.

Actually, I saw the mention of Victoria...I just didn't catch that they were docking there! :D To be truthful, I didn't realize ships docked in Victoria, I thought everyone docked in Vancouver, hence my negative response...thanks to you both for clarifying for me and OP.