this shows how serious this accident was:

rog747

this video clip of the actual night time recovery film shot by by the coast guard chopper

it is heart stopping and breathtaking...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwmz9LN8wcE&feature=related

using night vision camera shows amazing film of how scores of people were clinging to the upturned hull of Concordia in the middle of the night in darkness.

the heat shows up black in the shot so you see how many people were clinging on for their lives

with complete chaos going on around them...

you will not believe it and you will wonder if this film is a fake?

it is not....it is real and

makes you think how so lucky and how so many got away ok...

sadly some didn't...

this was no incident

this was almost a total and utter disaster for 1000's by a hare's breath

An "accident" is caused by an Act of God or something beyond human control. Had a rat chewed through wiring and knocked out the rudder control, that would have been an accident. Same thing with having your prop bent after hitting a whale or a deck fire caused by a lightning strike. This was a "collision" caused by grave human error.

Good day my fellow posters,

I find it quite intriguing how the in the video the ship is almost, if not completely at a 90 degree angle.

She appears to be slowly slipping further and further into the abyss.

Rog747, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share the video with all of us here at Cruise Critic.

Respectfully yours,

-Tutankhamen

Good day my fellow posters,

I find it quite intriguing how the in the video the ship is almost, if not completely at a 90 degree angle.

She appears to be slowly slipping further and further into the abyss.

Rog747, I would like to thank you for taking the time to share the video with all of us here at Cruise Critic.

Respectfully yours,

-Tutankhamen

re http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwmz9LN8wcE&feature=related

yes i too was gob smacked at this footage clip...Tutankhamen

we all watch cops and choppers on TV chasing crooks with night vision cameras but when you watch this video clip shot of the last people being rescued in pitch black in chaos and scared witless you really feel for these poor (but oh so lucky) survivors awaiting rescue on the upturned hull,

never seen anything like it since WW2 footage of a battleship rolling over with sailors clinging on, terrible

Not sure if this really can be genuine... none of the news channels have picked it up and the ship wasn't that tilted on the rescue night... unless its a visual illusion... Still would think news channels would have it if so.

the people on the rocks must have swum there, I can't imagine how cold it must have been.

yes the water temp was reported as 8c (that's very cold) but the air temp was 60f

which puzzles me...but yes cold whatever...its not far but a long way in a life jacket and when you are scared and bloody cold

some did swim to the rocks you are correct...

Not sure if this really can be genuine... none of the news channels have picked it up and the ship wasn't that tilted on the rescue night... unless its a visual illusion... Still would think news channels would have it if so.

yes i wondered before i posted this if it was fake clip or not!

i have watched it over and over and sometimes i think it is fake and done on

some kids flight simulator game but when you look closely you see it looks

real in many aspects...

i am a bit flumaxed now TBH...am so sorry

perhaps we can found out soon....i have no wish to post stupid fakes and

be disrespectful in anyway... can anyone help check this clip too please

It's made it to the Italian websites:

http://video.corriere.it/prime-immagini-naufragio/e51f6cfe-406c-11e1-a5d2-75a8a88b1277

An "accident" is caused by an Act of God or something beyond human control. Had a rat chewed through wiring and knocked out the rudder control, that would have been an accident. Same thing with having your prop bent after hitting a whale or a deck fire caused by a lightning strike. This was a "collision" caused by grave human error.

That's simply not true. An accident is simply an unforeseen or unplanned event. That there was likely human error or negligence doesn't change the fact that the event was accidental. Accidents are in no way limited to "Acts of God" or something beyond human control.

If you are parking your car and your bumper brushes the fender of a car in the next parking space, it is an accident. You may be negligent for not properly judging how close your were to the other car and liable for the damage you cause, but it is an accident none the less. You didn't do it intentionally did you? Give it some thought. Did the captain of the ship intentionally hit that reef? Of course not...so it was an accident.

That's a pretty incredible video, though I don't see anything that I would be described as chaos or people clinging on for their lives. It looked to me like they had stretched some sort of ladder down the side of the ship so people could climb down to rescue boats, which in itself would probably have been pretty terrifying, but it looked like everyone else was just standing or sitting on the side!! of the boat waiting.

I imagine the reason the boat is completely on its side like that is that the tide was low, or it just hadn't sunk to where it is now. I think it's a good illustration that it was a good thing the ship was that close to shore, as it prevented it from sinking completely, and probably killing scores more.

and how brave they were! This was around 9:30 pm so it was pitch dark. Who would know how close the rocks were.

yes quite,

the ship still had its lights on at 9.30 and was very bright then but later on it lost power...so then the rocks would not be visible well...

but i do not know what time that power loss happened nor how many left on-board exactly.

whether this film is real or a reconstruction or not it shows really well

how this disaster unravelled....

If you are parking your car and your bumper brushes the fender of a car in the next parking space, it is an accident. You may be negligent for not properly judging how close your were to the other car and liable for the damage you cause, but it is an accident none the less. You didn't do it intentionally did you? Give it some thought. Did the captain of the ship intentionally hit that reef? Of course not...so it was an accident.

What if you were drunk?

There is some pretty good evidence that the captain was joyriding in the cruise ship entrusted to his care. Showing off for his buddies on shore. :rolleyes:

But you are right when it comes to intent. He didn't intend to kill anyone, which is why he was arrested for manslaughter and not murder.

What if you were drunk?

There is some pretty good evidence that the captain was joyriding in the cruise ship entrusted to his care. Showing off for his buddies on shore. :rolleyes:

But you are right when it comes to intent. He didn't intend to kill anyone, which is why he was arrested for manslaughter and not murder.

The effect of those actions have to be examined within the context of maritime law and Italian law. Similarly, the crime you can be charged with, and the potential penalty you might incur if someone is killed as a result of your driving drunk vary from state to state.

It doesn't change the underlying definition of accident.

The effect of those actions have to be examined within the context of maritime law and Italian law. Similarly, the crime you can be charged with, and the potential penalty you might incur if someone is killed as a result of your driving drunk vary from state to state.

It doesn't change the underlying definition of accident.

My husband is a first responder. They no longer use the word accident to describe a collision. They use collision or incident. That is what the 9-1-1 dispatch uses as well.

CNN is showing this video and reporting it is from the Italian Coast Guard. It is real. It is absolutely terrifying. These passengers and crew were so brave. They were clinging to nothing but a rope on the exposed, slippery hull of a sinking ship in the dark while knowing the ship might go under at any time. I hope I would have the same courage in that situation, but I don't know. I admire and am moved by their courage and determination to live.

Archived