Alaska HAL or NCL?

caesarmaxy

I am having a hard time selecting my cruise for September 2017. I narrowed it down to two for about the same price

Holland America -(Eurodam) Neptune Suite, Back corner with wrap around balcony. Huge balcony and access to Neptune Suite

NCL(Pearl) - Haven Balcony Suite, Side of ship (small balcony, access to haven private areas)

We are not big fans of cruises but really want to do one to Alaska. We are not big on cruise activities and shows. Most likely will spend time walking around and being on our balcony or having a drink in the bar. I would like to pick the nicer cruise, with top notch service and with quality food. We will most likely spend each night in a specialty restaurant if not in port. Less interested in quantity of food and more with the quality.

Most of you seem to really know your stuff so I figured you can help me choose.

*Room/ship quality

*Food Quality

*Service

Thanks in Advance!

***Oh and there is the option of taking the Oosterdam for $500 less but this goes to Hubbard Glacier rather than Glacier Bay. I have been writing off Hubbard Glacier but really don't have a good reason as to why and would love to hear thoughts.

I know it's subjective, but if food/dining is an important factor for you.....go with HAL. And if you are going to add a land portion to your trip, Princess and HAL offer the best and most options.

HAL. And Glacier Bay for your first and maybe only experience with Alaska. Spend some time in the Crows Nest with the National Park Rangers and other enrichment people! And of course some time on deck waiting for the calving experience!

HAL service people will make you feel special 90+% of the time (everybody has an off-day sometimes). I *never* had that experience on NCL! No, wait, in the Neptune, I'm sure the % is higher than that! You will want to do traditional "fixed" dining -- those stewards are particularly wonderful.

Have sailed on HAL, Princess and NCL for Alaskan cruises.

Of all the glaciers, we really like Glacier Bay the best -- have seen more calving there than anywhere else. And the ice is bluer.

We like the Eurodam -- especially the Tamarind Restaurant. The Oostersam doesn't have that specialty restaurant.

Definitely HAL. We did the land/sea tour of Alaska with HAL and it was truly way beyond our expectations. If you have the time, I would seriously look into doing the one week land tour before the cruise. Just spending the one day on the HAL Mt. McKinley Explorer Train is something you'll never forget! Regardless, enjoy your trip, I know you will too.