[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 08:37 PM.
Sydney, Australia
14,562 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by MicCanberra
Yeah, but better for who? There are always winners and losers.
Very true.

There's also a bit of mythmaking going on. The economic credentials under the last Liberal government were poor for the time. However, the times were very good externally and hence government dividends were good.

Just like investing in shares, it's easy to be a winning stock selector when the market's up overall. The true mettle is when the market's down. Some seem to think market = investor!
Canberra Australia
43,255 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
No matter how bad some people think the economy is, I think Australia is in a great place over all, and going from strength to strength. Australians are becoming whingers and it is all about 'whats in it for me' and 'what about me', when they should just get on with life and make it happen for themselves.
Sydney, Australia
14,562 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
If our economy wasn't that good, we wouldn't have attracted so many new ships here. Nor had so much of an increase in cruisers locally that's brought the foreign lines here. Nor had so many Aussies able to travel overseas on holidays as they are.

Times have been good! Will they stay that way...?
Columbus, Ohio
19,464 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by The_Big_M
Very true. There's also a bit of mythmaking going on. The economic credentials under the last Liberal government were poor for the time. However, the times were very good externally and hence government dividends were good. Just like investing in shares, it's easy to be a winning stock selector when the market's up overall. The true mettle is when the market's down. Some seem to think market = investor!
Appreciate the added comments and insights. Personally, I am very interested and love to engage in political "debate" and discussions. BUT, we have to "follow the rules" for these boards in not going there. I will follow with interest how your election battles play out in the next five months, but discussions here need to focus on cruises and certain of those indirect issues such as costs, currency values, etc., that impact our upcoming trips.

Australia and NZ have unique resources, histories, challenges, economics, etc., compared to other parts of the world. It's been fun to be reading and learning more on how all of those factors have played out and create the current situations in both countries.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 129,387 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:
http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s....php?t=1426474
Canberra Australia
43,255 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Yes, that is why I do not talk politics or religion. I think optimism is a much better way of life when thinking about what may or may not happen in the future. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
BTW, dollar dropped again last night, down to $100.88 USD.
Orewa , Auckland , N.Z.
19,500 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
If our economy wasn't that good, we wouldn't have attracted so many new ships here. Nor had so much of an increase in cruisers locally that's brought the foreign lines here. Nor had so many Aussies able to travel overseas on holidays as they are.

Times have been good! Will they stay that way...?

I think one of the biggest reasons that ships have been attracted downunder is the wealth of our Senior Citizens.
They have the time and resources to cruise, whether it be self or government funded.
Where else in the world are Seniors so lucky?
The cruise lines are just chasing those discretionary dollars.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
DAVID

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

*Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
*The only "dumb" question is the one you don't ask
Canberra Australia
43,255 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by Kiwi Kruzer
I think one of the biggest reasons that ships have been attracted downunder is the wealth of our Senior Citizens.
They have the time and resources to cruise, whether it be self or government funded.
Where else in the world are Seniors so lucky?
The cruise lines are just chasing those discretionary dollars.
Yes, the baby boomers have money to spend and they want a piece of it.
Batehaven, Australia
11,480 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Baby Boomer, that's me, retired at 55 and been cruising and travelling for the last 10 years. You cannot use that Visa Card in heaven.

Adventure before Dementia ! Spend Kids Inheritance and all that. LOL.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cheers..(Uncle) LES - Princess Captains Circle Elite. - 480 days.

Cruised with Princess, Celebrity, Cunard, P&O Australia, P&O UK, Carnival, Sitmar, Sydney Harbour Ferries. World Cruise, plus British Isles, Europe, Med, Greek Isles, Transatlantic, Asia, USA, Panama Canal, South America, Central America, Caribbean, Alaska, Canada, Japan, South Pacific, Australia, New Zealand.!

**Last cruise: Queen Mary 2 - Sydney - HK, 16 nights, 2 - 18 March 2017.

**Next: (We were booked on Adonia x 2, but they sold the ship on us.)
Sapphire Princess - 26 May 2018, Scandinavia, ex Southampton - 7 nights B2B with..
Sapphire Princess - 2 June 2018, Baltic Heritage, ex Southampton - 14 nights.
Royal Princess - 18 June 2018 - British Isles, ex Southampton - 12 nights.

'Adventure before Dementia - Live for Today !!'
Melbourne/AUS
736 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
My father has finally joined that group, had absolutely no interest in travelling the world, yet we scoured every inch of Australia growing up. Now he's retired he suddenly has a thirst for adventure, and is setting off in June over to Europe for the first time, loading his touring motorbike onto a ship and picking it up in the UK. Doing the LeMan's, then biking around the UK and Europe, and has somehow managed to get an invite to go yaghting in Turkey! All this from a man who said there was no point in ever leaving this country

I've very proud of him for expanding is horizons, but I think I have to forget the idea of ever getting an inheritence
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Oct 2012 - RCI Mariner of the Seas 11 night Holy Lands Cruise
Oct 2013 - Celebrity Solstice 19 night Transpacific Hawaii - Sydney
Dec 2014 - RCI Radiance of the Seas 10 night South Pacific

Canberra Australia
43,255 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by Jacs
My father has finally joined that group, had absolutely no interest in travelling the world, yet we scoured every inch of Australia growing up. Now he's retired he suddenly has a thirst for adventure, and is setting off in June over to Europe for the first time, loading his touring motorbike onto a ship and picking it up in the UK. Doing the LeMan's, then biking around the UK and Europe, and has somehow managed to get an invite to go yaghting in Turkey! All this from a man who said there was no point in ever leaving this country

I've very proud of him for expanding is horizons, but I think I have to forget the idea of ever getting an inheritence
Yes, but then you never know what is around the corner in anycase. At least he is enjoying himself.
1,333 Posts
Joined Oct 2011
I have been encouraging all my older relatives to go out and travel and spend their money. It is thanks to me that my grandparents started cruising and it was only after I went on one first and gave them computers, internet so they could discover more about it. Its better to enjoy your own money rather than some fat-cat banker or financial guru "stealing" it in the GFC.

Come September I will be very happy to vote out one part and get back in the true professionals. Australias boom times for me and my cruising was money earned and saved prior to when the current goverment came into power. Ever since savings and ability to earn have taken a tumble compared to pre 2007.
Wherever
1,059 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Sutho
Ever since savings and ability to earn have taken a tumble compared to pre 2007.
If you can cast your mind back to 2007/8, a thing begun called the GFC.
It all began in the US. Not here, but you can blame the current Govt if it makes you feel better.
Melbourne, Australia
5,291 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Honesty, where people in australia really that badly affected in the gfc. I could understand if you lost your job. But even though super funds took a hit most have bounced back. Not to the highs pre gfc. But mine returned 11 percent last year
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sarah (icat2000)

Upcoming Cruise
Golden Princess 6 April 2020, Melbourne to Perth - Northern Explorer - 19 nights (cabin on hold)

Completed Cruises
Ruby Princess TA October 2012| Dawn Princess New Zealand December 2012 | Ruby Princess Eastern Caribbean | Celebrity Equinox TA April 2013 | Sea Princess Auckland to Sydney August 2013| Dawn Princess Sydney - Hobart - Melbourne November 2013 |Diamond Princess Tasmania December 2013 | Rhapsody of Seas South Pacific January 2014 | PO UK Arcadia - Sydney to Melbourne February 2014 | Dawn Princess - Melbourne to Auckland March 2014 |Carnival Spirit South Pacific August 2014|Dawn Princess - Melbourne to Auckland October 2014 | Sun Princess - Fiji & New Caledonia December 2014 |Diamond Princess - Sydney to Singapore March 2015 |Caribbean Princess - Iceland TA September 2015 |PO UK Oceana - Mediterranean September 2015 |Pacific Jewel - Eden December 2015 |Golden Princess - Tasmania January 2016 |Diamond Princess - Perth to Singapore March 2016 |Celebrity Constellation - Greek Islands April 2016 | Carnival Spirit South Pacific October 2017 |
Canberra, Australia
393 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
Well!
After the original posts, the Australian unemployment rate for April was announced. it was lower than the previous month, so the idea that the Australian economy is about to go soft is not so likely now.

But with respect to cruises - tipping is just not done, unless your service staff perform the impossible! The prices for food are higher here, but so are the wages in the hospitality industry.

Australia is a very carefree and safe country, so enjoy your shore excursions!

As for our political situation, the differences are not as real as many like to imagine. The major parties huff and puff, and try to pretend everything will be different, but the numbers say something quite different!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Wherever
1,059 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by Blue Elephant

As for our political situation, the differences are not as real as many like to imagine. The major parties huff and puff, and try to pretend everything will be different, but the numbers say something quite different!
Couldn't agree more!
Sydney, Australia
14,562 Posts
Joined Oct 2008
Originally posted by icat2000
Honesty, where people in australia really that badly affected in the gfc. I could understand if you lost your job.
People were losing their jobs, including many in the mining industries.

Then there was a lot of government stimulus that boosted domestic confidence to reduce the number of layoffs, Chinese demand picked up and mining recovered. However, the rest of the global economy has remained in the doldrums so there's a lot of gloom that kept everyone cautious. So while there weren't a lot more layoffs in general, there wasn't a great deal more hiring either. It's at a degree of equilibrium.
Columbus, Ohio
19,464 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
People were losing their jobs, including many in the mining industries. Then there was a lot of government stimulus that boosted domestic confidence to reduce the number of layoffs, Chinese demand picked up and mining recovered. However, the rest of the global economy has remained in the doldrums so there's a lot of gloom that kept everyone cautious. So while there weren't a lot more layoffs in general, there wasn't a great deal more hiring either. It's at a degree of equilibrium.
Appreciate the various added insights and comments that help "educate" me on the various aspects of the Australia economy. The latest Aussie dollar is shown at $1.0014 this morning in the Wall Street Journal. Glad, for us, that things are moving in the "right" direction to help our US dollars buy more when we visit down under in early 2014. Obviously, what is "right" for us, might not be best for everyone. From following these issues, I now have a better idea for what has been happening recently with their economy. It will be interesting to see if and how their September elections affect these currency values.

From this original post I made on the Aust.-NZ board that attracted lots of comments from Aussies, this item was shared by Blue Elephant and I have posted it on our roll call: "with respect to cruises - tipping is just not done, unless your service staff perform the impossible! The prices for food are higher here, but so are the wages in the hospitality industry. Australia is a very carefree and safe country, so enjoy your shore excursions!"

I like that term "very carefree and safe"!! Very good and encouraging. Appreciate these various added background items and information.

From The Australian newspaper yesterday, they have this headline: "WA jobless reflects slower economic growth" with these highlights: "Unemployment in Western Australia has jumped above five per cent for the first time since February 2010 but the state still has the nation's lowest jobless rate. Last month, 5.2 per cent of people in WA didn't have a job, up from 4.8 per cent in March. It is a substantial jump considering the state's unemployment rate a year ago was 3.7 per cent. Western Australia still has the lowest jobless rate in Australia, slightly ahead of NSW at 5.3 per cent. Premier Colin Barnett admitted some of the heat had come out of the WA economy, particularly in the mining sector. 'While the WA economy is still growing faster than any other state, the pace is slowing from peak levels and that is reflected in the higher than anticipated increase in the unemployment rate for April,' he said."

Full story at:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news...-1226638644409

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at 5,089 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477