Australia $ Value, Economic Direction?

On the Aussie dollar, the latest number early this evening from the Wall Street Journal is $0.8934 for its value versus the U.S. dollar. Just dropped below 90 cents.

Now comes the more complicated part . . . The Aussie vs. NZ Dollar?

From the Herald-Sun in Melbourne tomorrow morning, they have this headline: "NZ dollar continues climb against Aussie" with these highlights: "New Zealand dollar approached 89 Australian cents on Thursday as investors favoured the reviving local economy over investment in Australia where the economy is slowing. The kiwi touched a new five-year high of 88.98 Australian cents. The local (NZ) currency was little changed at 79.84 US cents from 79.77 cents. The New Zealand dollar has surged 12 per cent against the Australian dollar this year as the rebuilding of earthquake-damaged Christchurch, rising house prices and high dairy prices underpin confidence and spending, bolstering the local economy and signalling higher interest rates. In contrast, Australia's economy is slowing as the mining boom comes off the boil. 'The Australian dollar has been under a lot of pressure,' said Kevin Morgan, a senior dealer at OM Financial. 'We have got two central banks diametrically opposed.' "

From the NZ Herald tomorrow in Auckland, they have this headline: "Kiwi dollar set to keep rising". Here are some of these story highlights: "The New Zealand dollar's rapid rise against Australia's currency is expected to continue. The kiwi has gained 11.6 per cent, against the aussie since the middle of March. Westpac senior market strategist Imre Speizer said the kiwi was expected to gain further. The economic outlook is rosier on this side of the Tasman, with Chinese demand for New Zealand's food exports remaining strong."

Bottom-line? As of right now, we'll do better in Australia for stretching our travel dollars, but maybe not quite as well as we might hope for in NZ. Clearly, the various "factors" are playing differently in these two countries. Different governments, economies and approaches for dealing with these economic strategies, etc. Have I confused things too much with the Aussie dollar value versus the NZ dollar versus the U.S. dollar? Haven't touched the euro, UK pound, etc. That would be too much added complexity.

Full stories at:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/business/breaking-news/nz-dollar-continues-climb-against-aussie/story-fni0xqe4-1226689231897

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10906256

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at over 9,254 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

Edited by TLCOhio

On the Aussie dollar, the latest number early this evening from the Wall Street Journal is $0.8934 for its value versus the U.S. dollar. Just dropped below 90 cents.

Now comes the more complicated part . . . The Aussie vs. NZ Dollar?

From the Herald-Sun in Melbourne tomorrow morning, they have this headline: "NZ dollar continues climb against Aussie" with these highlights: "New Zealand dollar approached 89 Australian cents on Thursday as investors favoured the reviving local economy over investment in Australia where the economy is slowing. The kiwi touched a new five-year high of 88.98 Australian cents. The local (NZ) currency was little changed at 79.84 US cents from 79.77 cents. The New Zealand dollar has surged 12 per cent against the Australian dollar this year as the rebuilding of earthquake-damaged Christchurch, rising house prices and high dairy prices underpin confidence and spending, bolstering the local economy and signalling higher interest rates. In contrast, Australia's economy is slowing as the mining boom comes off the boil. 'The Australian dollar has been under a lot of pressure,' said Kevin Morgan, a senior dealer at OM Financial. 'We have got two central banks diametrically opposed.' "

From the NZ Herald tomorrow in Auckland, they have this headline: "Kiwi dollar set to keep rising". Here are some of these story highlights: "The New Zealand dollar's rapid rise against Australia's currency is expected to continue. The kiwi has gained 11.6 per cent, against the aussie since the middle of March. Westpac senior market strategist Imre Speizer said the kiwi was expected to gain further. The economic outlook is rosier on this side of the Tasman, with Chinese demand for New Zealand's food exports remaining strong."

Bottom-line? As of right now, we'll do better in Australia for stretching our travel dollars, but maybe not quite as well as we might hope for in NZ. Clearly, the various "factors" are playing differently in these two countries. Different governments, economies and approaches for dealing with these economic strategies, etc. Have I confused things too much with the Aussie dollar value versus the NZ dollar versus the U.S. dollar? Haven't touched the euro, UK pound, etc. That would be too much added complexity.

Great news for tourists and the Kiwis.:D

Yes, I would suggest paying for as much (US based expenses) as you can now.:D

Glad we have paid off our next cruise, but knew I should have ordered some more US$ last week. Need some as most of the Asian tour operators want payment in US$. Is this telling us something:rolleyes:

I wish Terry in Ohio would not keep reminding us of the falling AUD, I have to go to the Americas and UK for 3 months next year, land travel and cruising.

Terry old son, you are depressing me and a few others no doubt.

Edited by NSWP

I wish Terry in Ohio would not keep reminding us of the falling AUD, I have to go to the Americas and UK for 3 months next year, land travel and cruising.

Terry old son, you are depressing me and a few others no doubt.

I can only imagine the response if one of us was posting in the mainline US forums when their dollar was dropping...

I can only imagine the response if one of us was posting in the mainline US forums when their dollar was dropping...

Yes, numerous Cruise Missiles or Tomahawk Missiles fired at us from their Nuclear Submarines in the Pacific.

Ah well, we can adjust our auto tips to the falling AUD, the Yanks would like that too, LOL.

Edited by NSWP

Terry I'm not sure if you entirely realize the purpose of this particular forum, it's for people from Australia and New Zealand to discuss with each other the particulars of cruising when you are from theses countries. Overseas people are always welcome, but posts like this may be better received on the Ports of Call board where the other posters are also visitors and this kind of information would be helpful and relevant. We already live here, WE KNOW what the economic situation is, you don't need to tell us ;) Your posts kind of read like you are trying to educate us in the matter, I'm sure there is no need for me to tell you about the economic situation of the USA, you would know all about. Same for us.

If you want some local input we can just reply in the same thread over on the Port of Call board, no need to have 2 separate conversations about the exact same thing, and saves anyone getting annoyed over here :D

I am not annoyed by this thread or by Terry's posts. I find it interesting what is in the articles that he is finding in the US. Having traveled in the US and not seeing anything of great substance (overseas news) on the bulk of their TV channels, it is refreshing that some news is making it onto the internet and also into their papers.:D

I am not annoyed by this thread or by Terry's posts. I find it interesting what is in the articles that he is finding in the US. Having traveled in the US and not seeing anything of great substance (overseas news) on the bulk of their TV channels, it is refreshing that some news is making it onto the internet and also into their papers.:D

Jacs: Terry I'm not sure if you entirely realize the purpose of this particular forum' date=' it's for [b']people from Australia and New Zealand to discuss with each other the particulars of cruising[/b] when you are from theses countries. Overseas people are always welcome, but posts like this may be better received on the Ports of Call board where the other posters are also visitors and this kind of information would be helpful and relevant. We already live here, WE KNOW what the economic situation is, you don't need to tell us Your posts kind of read like you are trying to educate us in the matter, I'm sure there is no need for me to tell you about the economic situation of the USA, you would know all about. Same for us. If you want some local input we can just reply in the same thread over on the Port of Call board, no need to have 2 separate conversations about the exact same thing, and saves anyone getting annoyed over here

Appreciate the added comments and viewpoints. Not trying to spread or rub in "bad news", but just trying to track and check what is being reported. It is always good to know as to whether and if those "items" are being reflected as either . . . totally accurate, somewhat correct, missing something major, etc.?? Whether coming from Australia, NZ, U.S., London, etc., sources, that media reporting is mostly fairly good. BUT, it is always good to check and verify. The excellent range of people on this board have been super smart and very helpful with their excellent range of info and insights. It's been a very good "learning experience" for me. And I have shared key items from people here on this board with our very active roll call. Nearly 37,000 views and over 2,400 posts on that roll call. That's why I have shared these various media items here and am glad to get the range of input, reactions, additions, comments and ideas. Understand fully the pro/con viewpoint to us "outsider" dropping by.

It's been interesting getting ready to visit Australia starting on Jan. 12, 2014. Reading certain of your two main newspaper chains down there is very much of value to capture a sampling of issues and interests there. Will be following your upcoming elections and that will be of interest to see how that turns out, what happens after the results come in, etc. Won't get into that "politics" here on this board, but I like to sample and better understand the character and style of a country when getting ready for visiting there.

THANKS for the wisdom and details on Australia and NZ! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 137,740 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

I find it interesting what is in the articles that he is finding in the US. Having traveled in the US and not seeing anything of great substance (overseas news) on the bulk of their TV channels, it is refreshing that some news is making it onto the internet and also into their papers.:D

Well, the latest links are from the Herald Sun (AU) and New Zealand Herald (NZ).

We're not that behind in Australia and NZ that we don't publish things on that newfangled internet thingammy!

Well, the latest links are from the Herald Sun (AU) and New Zealand Herald (NZ). We're not that behind in Australia and NZ that we don't publish things on that newfangled internet thingammy!

Here is from the Wall Street Journal this morning that I posted on our roll call. The WSJ had this headline: "Australian Dollar Is on Track to Be Biggest Loser" and reflected this cost for this currency being at $0.8986. What is of interest and question is for how NewsCorp owns major U.S. news operations, plus having its major and historic connection with large newspapers in Australia, London, etc. Certain of the content does get "shared" and it is not always clear what item came originally from the the U.K., U.S. or Australia. Or, another of their bureaus or locations.

Here are some of those story highlights today: "Close to being the worst-performing major currency globally in 2013, the tumbling Australian dollar is boosting parts of the sluggish economy Down Under, but further falls are needed to make a real difference. Down 13.8% since January 1, the Australian dollar has hit fresh three-year lows this week and now lags only the South African rand as the year’s biggest loser, which is 14% lower in the same period. Late Thursday, the Australian dollar was changing hands at US$0.8956. It traded as low as US$0.8926 in Asia. The Aussie began to fall sharply in April when it traded at close to US$1.06 as an economic slowdown in China and a recovery in the U.S. dollar hit it hard. Industries such as tourism are beginning to report an uptick in activity due to the more competitive currency. But the benefits of the currency’s slide aren’t yet feeding evenly through the resource-rich economy. The brakes have been put on economic growth in Australia in 2013 as a mining investment boom fades quickly, crunching business confidence and pushing unemployment higher. A survey of manufacturing Thursday showed conditions in the sector remained moribund in July, with little indication the lower Australian dollar is boosting exports."

Some in this above story is not new, but it does give an overall view for the many factors affecting your economy there and in other parts of the world such as China and the U.S.

Full story at:

http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/08/01/australian-dollar-on-track-to-be-biggest-loser/

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 114,310 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Terry I'm not sure if you entirely realize the purpose of this particular forum, it's for people from Australia and New Zealand to discuss with each other the particulars of cruising when you are from theses countries. Overseas people are always welcome, but posts like this may be better received on the Ports of Call board where the other posters are also visitors and this kind of information would be helpful and relevant. We already live here, WE KNOW what the economic situation is, you don't need to tell us ;) Your posts kind of read like you are trying to educate us in the matter, I'm sure there is no need for me to tell you about the economic situation of the USA, you would know all about. Same for us.

If you want some local input we can just reply in the same thread over on the Port of Call board, no need to have 2 separate conversations about the exact same thing, and saves anyone getting annoyed over here :D

Seems to me that there is only one person getting annoyed over here.

I find it quite refreshing that a fellow cruiser whom is coming to our shores is sharing information with us, his previous posts have been on a wide range of topics not just the economy. Keep it up Terry.

Not annoyed, just frustrated that our dollar is falling and someone keeps reminding me of it! :D I'm just grumpy our cruise is costing a lot more now lol.

Sorry Terry, I didn't intend to come across as rude, I need to stop posting at night when I'm tired lol. I still don't see the need to post local news articles seeing as we are reading them anyway, but I do find the overseas ones interesting :)

Not annoyed, just frustrated that our dollar is falling and someone keeps reminding me of it! :D I'm just grumpy our cruise is costing a lot more now lol.

Sorry Terry, I didn't intend to come across as rude, I need to stop posting at night when I'm tired lol. I still don't see the need to post local news articles seeing as we are reading them anyway, but I do find the overseas ones interesting :)

If you are concerned that the dollar will drop more , you can pay for the cruise in full before the final payment date........or withdraw the funds now and put them on deposit.

We've just had final payment, managed to do it at 92c, so thankful for that. We are leaving from Hawaii though so there is still hotel, spending money, plus funds onboard all in US dollars. Cash flow is tied up at the moment too so can't change over a couple of grand now unfortunately. So yeah, just grumpy and jaded lol.

Sorry everyone for stinking up the thread with my foul mood, will play nicely now, promise ;)

Yes, I would suggest paying for as much (US based expenses) as you can now.:D

I think i only have car hire left!

I haven't paid for my cruise in full, but it was in AUD & from a Aussie TA so don't think they can up the price on that!

....spending money I am planning to use my 28Degrees card which would give me the best rate on the day (although looking like it may be low to mid 80's!) but i'll then have an extra 30 days to pay if off ;) I know i will be dealing with the reprecussions later :o

We've just had final payment, managed to do it at 92c, so thankful for that. We are leaving from Hawaii though so there is still hotel, spending money, plus funds onboard all in US dollars. Cash flow is tied up at the moment too so can't change over a couple of grand now unfortunately. So yeah, just grumpy and jaded lol.

Sorry everyone for stinking up the thread with my foul mood, will play nicely now, promise ;)

Don't worry about it too much, we know that no one likes having to pay more than they were thinking it would cost. Our AUD was strong for a while , we all went crazy and booked cruises, and now they will cost more (unless we had already paid for them). There may always be a case for buyers remorse, just don't let it stress you out.:D

Well, the latest links are from the Herald Sun (AU) and New Zealand Herald (NZ).

We're not that behind in Australia and NZ that we don't publish things on that newfangled internet thingammy!

Terry has been getting articles from various sources (on varoius threads) and a lot of them are US based newspaper/magazines.:D

Now that "our Government" has finally revealed the true state of the Australian economy - as opposed to the fiction that it has been pushing for the past 2 years or so -- you can expect the Aussie Dollar to head much further south.

An election is desperately needed -- however I don't know what any incoming new Government can do to sort out this mess that we have been led into.. it is going to get messier whatever is done.

Barry

Edited by bazzaw

Now that "our Government" has finally revealed the true state of the Australian economy - as opposed to the fiction that it has been pushing for the past 2 years or so

Been reading to many" Right" leaning newspapers have we?:D

Edited by yatchet

Been reading to many" Right" leaning newspapers have we?:D

Right leaning newspapers pushing the fiction of how strong the Australian economy is???

Well - regardless of who has been pushing that fiction, it has all be explicitly revealed as such tonight.

Barry

Edited by bazzaw