Australia $ Value, Economic Direction?

My strategy to reduce my outlay in Europe next month is to buy crusty bread and cheese plus some vegetables and have this for lunch instead of eating at cafes.

Are you allowed to take sharp fruit knives in your suitcase on a cruise? Our cruise falls in the middle of 6 weeks in Europe.

Won't any knife do, just make sure you check it with your luggage.:D

LOL, :D maybe he is but doesn't want to rub our face in it.:eek:

Ah, I was only having a stir with poor Terry in Ohio, he is harmless. A bit of transpacific banter is good for the heart and soul, not for the wallet though, at this time. LOL.

Edited by NSWP

Ah, I was only having a stir with poor Terry in Ohio, he is harmless. A bit of transpacific banter is good for the heart and soul, not for the wallet though, at this time. LOL.

Never mind, it won't stop me from travelling, it just affects where we go, what we will do and the duration of the trip:D.

Hehe, we wait for the next doomy report on the AUD with baited breath. :D

So what sort of effect can we expect to see on the dollar now the election has been called? Drop, rise, stagnate? Do you think they will touch the interest rates in the period? I've never had to pay attention to the dollar during an election period before, no idea what to expect lol.

Jacs: So what sort of effect can we expect to see on the dollar now the election has been called? Drop' date=' rise, stagnate? [/b']Do you think they will touch the interest rates in the period? I've never had to pay attention to the dollar during an election period before, no idea what to expect lol.

The_Big_M: Not much effect of itself.

Appreciate the various views for what is upcoming as Australia moves into its election season.

On these boards' date=' we are not allowed to get into the pro/con factors with "politics", but it is good to know this general background for is happening in the next month as this high-pitched election contest might affect the Aussie dollar value for us in early 2014 on our 14-day Solstice cruise. Then, after Sept. 7, there will be the fall-out, putting policies into places, etc. As I noted earlier, that is what makes it even harder to predict and/or guess how much lower will the Aussie dollar go, etc. In Australia, your election cycle is fairly short (compared to what some of us in states like Ohio suffer during an almost two-year election cycle). BUT, in a potentially tight race, [b']the battle lines get much more intense (and loud and sharp). As I understand, there are two major newspaper chains in Australia. Fairfax owns papers in many in key cities such as Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, etc. Then, even bigger in many of these various large cities, also, is NewsCorp, the chain controlled by Rupert Murdoch. The Fairfax newspapers are already going after Murdoch saying he's trying to rig the results against Rudd and his Labor Party. The more conservative party is called the "Liberal-National coalition". This can get a little confusing, right?? By the way, the Wall Street Journal below is controlled by NewsCorp, but the part quoted seems to be a fairly balanced sampling for what maybe down" or it is about in the next month.

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they have this headline: "Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd Calls Election for Sept. 7" with these highlights: "Australia's Prime Minister Kevin Rudd on Sunday called an election for Sept. 7, seeking to capitalize on a surge in support for the Labor Party since seizing the leadership from Julia Gillard in June. The announcement sets the scene for a tense contest between Mr. Rudd and Tony Abbott, who leads the center-right Liberal-National coalition, in an election that opinion polls suggest is neck and neck. In their early pitch to voters, both party leaders put their economic management credentials at the center of the debate. Mr. Rudd warned that promises by the center-right opposition to cut spending as growth slows runs the risk of pushing Australia into its first recession in more than 20 years. One of the world's best-performing developed economies, the prime minister said that Australia now faces a "profound" transition away from a reliance on the resources sector as commodities demand weakens from China, its biggest trading partner. Mr. Abbott accused Labor of excessive borrowing and spending and promised tighter stewardship of the nation's finances. 'If you can't manage the budget, you can't run the country,' Mr. Abbott told reporters. On Friday, the government warned that growth this year would be slower, unemployment higher and tax revenues sharply below what it previously expected as a steep decline in commodity prices prompts mining companies to shed staff and shutter mines."

Economics always makes it interesting!! And buying in 2012 a large share of Fairfax media was mining billionaire, Gina Rinehart. This western Australian, said to be the richest woman in the country, has became Fairfax's biggest shareholder. Am I following things somewhat correctly or close? Now, to watch "IT" all play out and evolve!!??

Full story at:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324635904578647091338565934.html?mod=WSJ_hps_LEFTTopStories

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Celebrity Solstice Visual Highlights? From our June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in France, Italy, Kotor and Dubrovnik, I have pull together a number of wonderful visuals of the Solstice, its features, food, entertainment, options, etc. We are now at over 9,315 views for this shorter version of my larger full review of that cruise and all of the port pictures/details. Check these postings and added info at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1803477

It is rather confusing that our Conservative party is called the Liberals :)

Traditionally, the Liberal party will be conservative with money, cut back on services and boost the economy. The Labor party is more traditionally focused on providing services and will increase spending. So we go through cycles of spending and cuts, spending and cuts. Just depends what side of the fence you sit on as to which you prefer :D

I do think we've seen I seen in the last 6 years since Labor has been in a shift of both sides more towards the center. Labor has become a little more conservative and Liberal a little less so.

It is rather confusing that our Conservative party is called the Liberals :)

Traditionally, the Liberal party will be conservative with money, cut back on services and boost the economy. The Labor party is more traditionally focused on providing services and will increase spending. So we go through cycles of spending and cuts, spending and cuts. Just depends what side of the fence you sit on as to which you prefer :D

I do think we've seen I seen in the last 6 years since Labor has been in a shift of both sides more towards the center. Labor has become a little more conservative and Liberal a little less so.

Except in the case of Rudd radical boat people policy, he went so far to the right he fell off the edge.

Appreciate the various views for what is upcoming as Australia moves into its election season.

On these boards, we are not allowed to get into the pro/con factors with "politics", but it is good to know this general background for is happening in the next month as this high-pitched election contest might affect the Aussie dollar value for us in early 2014 on our 14-day Solstice cruise. Then, after Sept. 7, there will be the fall-out, putting policies into places, etc. As I noted earlier, that is what makes it even harder to predict and/or guess how much lower will the Aussie dollar go, etc. In Australia, your election cycle is fairly short (compared to what some of us in states like Ohio suffer during an almost two-year election cycle). BUT, in a potentially tight race, the battle lines get much more intense (and loud and sharp). As I understand, there are two major newspaper chains in Australia. Fairfax owns papers in many in key cities such as Sydney, Brisbane, Melbourne, etc. Then, even bigger in many of these various large cities, also, is NewsCorp, the chain controlled by Rupert Murdoch. The Fairfax newspapers are already going after Murdoch saying he's trying to rig the results against Rudd and his Labor Party. The more conservative party is called the "Liberal-National coalition". This can get a little confusing, right?? By the way, the Wall Street Journal below is controlled by NewsCorp, but the part quoted seems to be a fairly balanced sampling for what maybe down" or it is about in the next month.

From the Wall Street Journal this morning, they have this headline: "Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd Calls Election for Sept. 7" with these highlights: "Australia's Prime Minister Kevin Rudd on Sunday called an election for Sept. 7, seeking to capitalize on a surge in support for the Labor Party since seizing the leadership from Julia Gillard in June. The announcement sets the scene for a tense contest between Mr. Rudd and Tony Abbott, who leads the center-right Liberal-National coalition, in an election that opinion polls suggest is neck and neck. In their early pitch to voters, both party leaders put their economic management credentials at the center of the debate. Mr. Rudd warned that promises by the center-right opposition to cut spending as growth slows runs the risk of pushing Australia into its first recession in more than 20 years. One of the world's best-performing developed economies, the prime minister said that Australia now faces a "profound" transition away from a reliance on the resources sector as commodities demand weakens from China, its biggest trading partner. Mr. Abbott accused Labor of excessive borrowing and spending and promised tighter stewardship of the nation's finances. 'If you can't manage the budget, you can't run the country,' Mr. Abbott told reporters. On Friday, the government warned that growth this year would be slower, unemployment higher and tax revenues sharply below what it previously expected as a steep decline in commodity prices prompts mining companies to shed staff and shutter mines."

Economics always makes it interesting!! And buying in 2012 a large share of Fairfax media was mining billionaire, Gina Rinehart. This western Australian, said to be the richest woman in the country, has became Fairfax's biggest shareholder. Am I following things somewhat correctly or close? Now, to watch "IT" all play out and evolve!!??

Full story at:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324635904578647091338565934.html?mod=WSJ_hps_LEFTTopStories

Thanks Terry, good to see we make headlines overseas even if the story is of no particular bent for how it will effect the US. It will however, give US citizens travelling here some insight to our political system/players.

Except in the case of Rudd radical boat people policy, he went so far to the right he fell off the edge.

Tell me about it, although I think that was more of a case of trying to neutralize all the arguments Abbott was using against him rather than labor ideals. He lost a lot of the left supporters back to the Greens that day.

I seem to remember having an election in 2010:D

That's what I said -- it has been a long SIX years! :) -and it has been very confusing over those six years . I just can't keep up with who is what Minister of State for what portfolio. Talk about a total shemozzle! :)

Barry

Now that the election has been called, I think the rates will drop tomorrow which will have the AUD drop even further.:D

Appreciate this above insight/educated guess. Plus, other comments. Time will tell that currency value for us in early 2014. . As of this evening's Wall Street Journal, they have the rate/value of the Aussie dollar at $0.8850.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 138,340 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Now that the election has been called, I think the rates will drop tomorrow which will have the AUD drop even further.:D

I don't believe the rate decision will be coloured by whether the election is called or not.

Actually, I remember one of the claims of the previous government was that interest rates would always be lower under them. They were trying to build fear that interest rates would be 15%+ under the current government. Another economic claim wrong...