Australia $ Value, Economic Direction?

It's a special pen. If the bill is made from the right material (starch-free paper), it's virtually colorless (looks to be a light yellow that fades away). But in wood-based paper, the iodine reacts with the starch and it turns black.

It's only useful to detect really obvious fakes. Any halfway legitimate (ha!) counterfeiter would use the right paper (or at least, starch-free). It is definitely much quicker to check an ink mark than taking 30 seconds to examine each bill for security marks and what-not.

Thanks, now I understand.:D

It's a special pen. If the bill is made from the right material (starch-free paper), it's virtually colorless (looks to be a light yellow that fades away). But in wood-based paper, the iodine reacts with the starch and it turns black.

It's only useful to detect really obvious fakes. Any halfway legitimate (ha!) counterfeiter would use the right paper (or at least, starch-free). It is definitely much quicker to check an ink mark than taking 30 seconds to examine each bill for security marks and what-not.

Glad we have an counterfeiting expert here! ;)

It seems to be different over there though as I saw a variety of markers used, and even a biro on at least one occasion! Although maybe some staff also had no idea and were just going through the motions.

As a result the notes they scribbled on retained the black marks they left and they had no issue. And I handed over marked notes as well (most of the time they had no issue accepting them).

I always got worried about what if they found something though, since I had no idea what they were testing for.

We have found the opposite. When we have bought currency from a bank we can either nominate exactly what we want, or take their 'pack' that has a range of currency, even US$1 notes. When we purchased from the Post Office it was all in large denomination notes. I think they were all $100 US which are very difficult to use. Most places won't take them at all.

Sorry, my comment was tongue in cheek, any vender would love the big note if they didn't have to make change. The small notes are what you really need as they sometimes will not give change or the change is in local currency which (if you are there for just the day) is no good to you unless you are buying more items elsewhere. :D

Thats why you always try to take small denominations. Banks will try and off load big notes onto you. Do not accept them , as you will have no end of bother trying to cash them.

Big notes are OK to pay your shipboard account , but are a No No ashore.:D

If you order them in advance from the bank you should be okay.

The issue with banks is unless you go to their main branches you can only get what they have on hand which can be an odd, or limited smattering of notes.

Best approach either way is to order in advance, unless you're in the city and can go to their main forex branches.

If you order them in advance from the bank you should be okay.

The issue with banks is unless you go to their main branches you can only get what they have on hand which can be an odd, or limited smattering of notes.

Best approach either way is to order in advance, unless you're in the city and can go to their main forex branches.

I like the Western union (George street near Central and Chinatown) for foreign exchanges, great rates, choice of notes and no fees.:D

From Bloomberg News/Business Week this morning in the U.S., they have this headline: "Aussie Has Best Week Since 2011 as Data Signal China’s Stability" with many details explaining why the Aussie dollar has gone up in recent days. Now at $0.9196 per Wall Street Journal within the past hour.

Here are some of the key story highlights: "Australia’s dollar had its biggest weekly gain since 2011 after industrial output data today added to signs of economic stabilization in China, the South Pacific nation’s largest trading partner. The currency rose for a fifth day as the Reserve Bank damped expectations for further easing after cutting its key interest rate to a record low this week. 'The industrial production number was the one that everyone was looking for; it’s been a good read on the real economy and it blew expectations out of the water,' said Chris Weston, chief market strategist at IG Markets Ltd. in Melbourne. Australia’s dollar rose 0.5 percent to 91.46 U.S. cents at 5:15 p.m. in Sydney, after touching 91.54, the highest since July 30. It has gained 2.7 percent this week, the most since December 2011. New Zealand’s currency was little changed at 80.14 U.S. cents, after reaching 80.47 yesterday, the most since July 29. It has advanced 2.3 percent since Aug. 2. Industrial production in China rose 9.7 percent in July from a year ago. The Reserve Bank of Australia said in its quarterly policy outlook that gross domestic product will grow 2.25 percent in the year to December 2013, compared with 2.5 percent forecast three months earlier. Core consumer prices will rise 2.25 percent in the year to June 2014. The Aussie has fallen 9.7 percent in the past three months, the most among 10 developed-market currencies tracked by Bloomberg Correlation-Weighted Indexes. The kiwi was the second-biggest loser, with a 4.2 percent decline.".

Full story at:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-08-09/aussie-set-for-best-week-in-more-than-a-year-before-china-data.html

THANKS for the various Aussie and down under insights and comments! Interesting reading!! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 115,384 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

I'm a happier camper with the Australian dollar going up. I got a cruise booked through US agent. And I like to book another one. Though, going to wait until after final payment date to book the second one as the price is a little too pricey.

I'm a happier camper with the Australian dollar going up. I got a cruise booked through US agent. And I like to book another one. Though, going to wait until after final payment date to book the second one as the price is a little too pricey.

Picking the best time to buy is like picking the winning lotto numbers. You know what was best for the last cruise but not what will be the best for the next one.:D

Thanks Terry, that news should cheer some people up.:D

Appreciate your mention and various comments, insights. The currency values will be bouncing around during the coming months. One key, immediate factor, from what I understand, will be the upcoming election in Australia. Don't want to get into politics here, but the BBC just posted in the past few minutes a story on the debate between the two main candidates today. This is the headline: "Australian election rivals Rudd and Abbott hold first debate" with these highlights: "Australia's Labor Prime Minister Kevin Rudd and opposition leader Tony Abbott have sparred over the economy and immigration in the first televised debate of the election campaign. Current opinion polls put Mr Abbott's Liberal-National coalition in the lead for the 7 September election. But Labor has narrowed its lead since Mr Rudd returned to office in June. And while his party lags behind, Mr Rudd is seen by polls as Australians' preferred choice as prime minister."

This BBC story has lots more on the various issues being debated, kicked around, etc. The story also noted: "Sunday's debate was the first of three such possible meetings before polling day. Analysts had been predicting a fiery exchange between the two men, but Australian media said the tone of the debate had been far more cordial than expected."

From the two major newspaper chains there, I have been reading in the past week some of the other stories and background/analysis, etc. Highly fascinating. Not boring!! I do many political projects, including on-air televisions shows here in Central Ohio. Reading these details and the strong back-and-forth in Australia gives a refreshing look at how the issues and personalities and media play out there. Your election day is only four weeks away. Will be reading with interest. Both the Fairfax and NewsCorp papers are devoting lots of coverage and attention.

Full story at:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-23654148

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 138,895 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

It's was interesting watching "the worm" on Channel 7s broadcast in Melbourne, every time Rudd started speaking, worm went down, the minute Abbott cleared his throat, worm went up lol. I think it showed more about the demographic of channel 7 viewers than anything else, seeing as all the other networks had Rudd as the winner.

But I agree, very underwhelming for a first debate, and a bit of scandal brewing in some circles about Rudd reading from notes which is apparently against the rules :eek:

It's was interesting watching "the worm" on Channel 7s broadcast in Melbourne, every time Rudd started speaking, worm went down, the minute Abbott cleared his throat, worm went up lol. I think it showed more about the demographic of channel 7 viewers than anything else, seeing as all the other networks had Rudd as the winner.

But I agree, very underwhelming for a first debate, and a bit of scandal brewing in some circles about Rudd reading from notes which is apparently against the rules :eek:

I watched the ABC so no 'worm' and no commentary on who they thought won, just what the key points were. When I debated at school (a long time ago) we were allowed to take notes / dot points, especially useful for rebutals.:D

I watched the ABC so no 'worm' and no commentary on who they thought won, just what the key points were. When I debated at school (a long time ago) we were allowed to take notes / dot points, especially useful for rebutals.:D

Yes -- the agreed "rules" did allow for paper and pen -- but NOT brought in notes :)

Both parties are in a bit of a bind -- in that most Aussies don't want to hear what is necessary to bring the Budget back under control (it is currently WAAAY out of control - with a new "Budget" having to be formulated recently only 3 months after the Budget was brought down). Hence if either Party come clean about what is required, then probably they will be immediately rejected by the voters.

Barry

Yes -- the agreed "rules" did allow for paper and pen -- but NOT brought in notes :)

Both parties are in a bit of a bind -- in that most Aussies don't want to hear what is necessary to bring the Budget back under control (it is currently WAAAY out of control - with a new "Budget" having to be formulated recently only 3 months after the Budget was brought down). Hence if either Party come clean about what is required, then probably they will be immediately rejected by the voters.

Barry

I do not think the budget is out of hand, and if you are talking about the budget deficit, it is one of the lowest in the world.

BTW, If it is so bad why do we have AAA ratings.

Edited by MicCanberra

I do not think the budget is out of hand, and if you are talking about the budget deficit, it is one of the lowest in the world.

BTW, If it is so bad why do we have AAA ratings.

"Out of control" are the words I used :) -- and I don't know what else could describe the necessity for a Government (any Government) to have to downgrade it's own Budget ( and to the degree that it did) so soon after it has been published. ???

Possibly the only saving grace for the Labor Government of today (as opposed to that of the past almost 6 years ) is that someone called Wayne Swan is no longer our Treasurer.

Barry

I watched the debate on Channel 2 so didn't have a worm to gauge the audience reaction. I felt that Abbott won. Rudd kept harking back to (his idea) that the Coalition would raise the GST when Abbott said clearly the first time it was mentioned that they would not change it. I also thought that Rudd 'lost it' at the end when he wasn't supposed to speak again but insisted on having another say.

I know where you're coming from, but I'm not sure about the conclusion.

I think the issue is that the Opposition are going hard on opposing most things. And there's a significant number of followers who will strongly support that, and of course the News media are keen to be negative about that too. So it generates a negative force opposing any increase in costs.

However, when both parties come together as with the NDIS (initially the Opposition were also against it but ultimately approved it), increases in costs do go through. Our taxes are going up 0.5 per cent next year.

There was a good piece by Gittins today on this point entirely.

"Out of control" are the words I used :) -- and I don't know what else could describe the necessity for a Government (any Government) to have to downgrade it's own Budget ( and to the degree that it did) so soon after it has been published. ???

That change was due to one thing which is the resources revenue, so it only goes to show the amount of dollars going through the resources industry.

I don't really see any alternative. 3 months earlier I didn't hear people thinking the fall would be greater, or that the figures then were wrong.

And 3 months later it's generally better to get the news released, especially as we went into an election campaign. If they'd stood by the original figure then it would not have been so fair to the opposition.

Had there not been an election due though, the estimate may well have sat as it was, and not been updated due to volatility. For example, prices have improved since then.

Edited by The_Big_M

With any projections it is always difficult as you are working with 'what was' and trying to predict 'what is most likely to be'. Sometimes this works out to be more or less than 'what will be'.

If you knew what was going to happen exactly then it wouldn't be a forecast but a fact. :D

Edited by MicCanberra

I think the issue is that the Opposition are going hard on opposing most things. And there's a significant number of followers who will strongly support that, and of course the News media are keen to be negative about that too. So it generates a negative force opposing any increase in costs.

However, when both parties come together as with the NDIS (initially the Opposition were also against it but ultimately approved it), increases in costs do go through. Our taxes are going up 0.5 per cent next year.

yes -- I know where you are coming from -- I have heard it many times before. If only the Opposition wasn't so negative - and worked with the Government for the good of the country, everything would be great.??? This is true.

Do you think we will see this happen when the Labor Party is in opposition after 07 Sep?? ( for the good of the country , of course :) )

Barry

yes -- I know where you are coming from -- I have heard it many times before. If only the Opposition wasn't so negative - and worked with the Government for the good of the country, everything would be great.??? This is true.

Do you think we will see this happen when the Labor Party is in opposition after 07 Sep?? ( for the good of the country , of course :) )

Barry

Yes, they worked with the Howard government for 11 years and progressed a lot of the good policies in a bi-partisan manner.

Of course, it all depends on the policy proposal.:D

Edited by MicCanberra