Australia $ Value, Economic Direction?

Been reading to many" Right" leaning newspapers have we?:D

If we are going to bring politics into this thread probably the most accurate statement made by our Prime Minister Mr K Rudd is that last nights DRS decision made in the Manchester Test Match is the worst umpiring decision ever made.:D:D:D

The economy will always be cyclic just think how many cruisers have benefited from the strong Aussie Dollar over the last 12-18 Months it will happen again.:rolleyes:

Now that "our Government" has finally revealed the true state of the Australian economy - as opposed to the fiction that it has been pushing for the past 2 years or so -- you can expect the Aussie Dollar to head much further south.

So the economy wasn't good 2 years ago? But I thought that was when the AUD hit its peak. :confused:

Clearly the statements above are not consistent.

In any case, things change. The economy certainly changes all the time - otherwise it would be the same now, as it was 2 years ago, as it was 5 years ago, as it was 10 years ago, as it was 20 years ago...

As for the dollar, which precipitated these comments, it doesn't operate in isolation. The rest of the world knocked their interest rates down a few years ago, so ours became very popular - good returns, and safe, in a risky and otherwise poorly returning environment.

Now people are starting to think prospects are better in the US - Hey! Facebook has finally recovered to its IPO price :p:D and our rates aren't so good so it's not so attractive for them to keep their money here.

We're still a TINY economy in the world so the big money's going to take its funds back when things look better over there, and our currency will fall. It has very little to do with what's going on here, and much more about there.

As for the comments about politics relating to currency, it's amusing as when was our currency at its lowest in recent history? Late 2001, under the previous government. Which based on the comments above, must have meant they made the economy its messiest.

So the economy wasn't good 2 years ago? But I thought that was when the AUD hit its peak. :confused:

Clearly the statements above are not consistent.

In any case, things change. The economy certainly changes all the time - otherwise it would be the same now, as it was 2 years ago, as it was 5 years ago, as it was 10 years ago, as it was 20 years ago...

As for the dollar, which precipitated these comments, it doesn't operate in isolation. The rest of the world knocked their interest rates down a few years ago, so ours became very popular - good returns, and safe, in a risky and otherwise poorly returning environment.

Now people are starting to think prospects are better in the US - Hey! Facebook has finally recovered to its IPO price :p:D and our rates aren't so good so it's not so attractive for them to keep their money here.

We're still a TINY economy in the world so the big money's going to take its funds back when things look better over there, and our currency will fall. It has very little to do with what's going on here, and much more about there.

As for the comments about politics relating to currency, it's amusing as when was our currency at its lowest in recent history? Late 2001, under the previous government. Which based on the comments above, must have meant they made the economy its messiest.

Yes, the global economy has much more to do with our economy than just government decisions.:D

This is not about politics -- it is about simple management. Our current Government has been in office for 6 years. For each of those six years, it has drawn up a Budget for the coming year. On each and every occasion, at the end of the year, they have not come within cooee of arriving at a destination within that budget. They drew up their last Budget only 3 months ago -- and they now have sheepishly had to admit that only after a short 3 months, their estimates (both income and expenditure) were grossly incorrect -- to the tune of some 33 Billion Dollars.

Australia's currency rises and falls for a number of reasons - the rise over the past few years has largely been because of the fairytale that this Government has been telling us and the rest of the World. The rest of the World is now starting to understand this -- and so, just watch this space.

Barry

Well we all know the election won't be before Kevin gets to swan around at the G20 summit.

I bet we only got the glossy annoucement yesterday. The economy and the level of debt probably much worse.

Edited by icat2000

September 14 anyone?

Sydney Morning Herald is claiming 07 September http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/pm-decides-election-set-for-sept-7-20130802-2r4x4.html

But, as I write this, Bill Shorten is unusually upset with the Vic Govt over Education. He wants to make a deal this weekend with the Vics over Gonski - but the Vic Govt have basically said "come back Monday" -- there is talk that this will interfere with Rudds desire to name the day sometime this weekend and is the reason for Shorten's ire :)

Barry

Sydney Morning Herald is claiming 07 September http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/federal-election-2013/pm-decides-election-set-for-sept-7-20130802-2r4x4.html

But, as I write this, Bill Shorten is unusually upset with the Vic Govt over Education. He wants to make a deal this weekend with the Vics over Gonski - but the Vic Govt have basically said "come back Monday" -- there is talk that this will interfere with Rudds desire to name the day sometime this weekend and is the reason for Shorten's ire :)

Barry

Of course,

The Liberal Vic govt is playing politics.:D

Edited by yatchet

Australia $ Value, Economic Direction?

Its all supply and demand and it all tends to go around in cycles.

Its just like the property market.. ... :D

Spot on, and there is not much the current Govt or ANY future Govt can do about it.

Spot on, and there is not much the current Govt or ANY future Govt can do about it.

What a lot of rubbish!! Are you saying that no Government anywhere can have any kind of say in their own destiny?? Have you ever been to Germany. It isn't a large country by any means -- very little natural resources compared to us -- but their GovernmentS (plural) management since the war have made them very strong economically.

Of course, Governments can determine their own countries destiny -- in either a good way or a bad way. Unfortunately, lately we have had management of the bad kind here.

Barry

September 14 anyone?

I go for Sept 7, Kevin 737 is not going to Russia for the G20, so I am told anyway.

Now it is Kevin 737 not 747 because the Prime Ministers RAAF VIP Aircraft is a Boeing 737. Not a 747 like Mr Obama.

But then who really cares. Bazzaw talks about wealthy Germany, wealthy yes, because they are workers the German people and don't forget the USA and GB put billions into Germany, post war. I lived in Germany as a kid for 6 years in the early - mid 1950's and saw their recovery.

Edited by NSWP

What a lot of rubbish!! Are you saying that no Government anywhere can have any kind of say in their own destiny??

Barry

No. The topic was the value of the AUD. Not economic management.

BTW..

Is this a cruise forum? or have I mistakenly logged onto a branch of the LNP.

Just asking....

Woke up to the news of the 7th of September election day. I will be departing Sydney for Honolulu that day after working 9 nights straight. Another thing to put on the to do list and I hope I don't forget to vote.

Elaine.

Woke up to the news of the 7th of September election day. I will be departing Sydney for Honolulu that day after working 9 nights straight. Another thing to put on the to do list and I hope I don't forget to vote.

Elaine.

You can vote early with the Pre-polling system in place. It might be a good idea when you are leaving on that day, although I see that you are working 9 days straight prior to the cruise. You can probably vote before your 9 days working - if you want to get it out of the way so you can concentrate on more important matters on the 7th. :D

You can vote early with the Pre-polling system in place. It might be a good idea when you are leaving on that day, although I see that you are working 9 days straight prior to the cruise. You can probably vote before your 9 days working - if you want to get it out of the way so you can concentrate on more important matters on the 7th. :D

Good idea. I forgot about pre-polling. I think it will make life easier on the day. Thankyou.

Elaine.

What a lot of rubbish!! Are you saying that no Government anywhere can have any kind of say in their own destiny?? Have you ever been to Germany. It isn't a large country by any means -- very little natural resources compared to us -- but their GovernmentS (plural) management since the war have made them very strong economically.

You're right they don't have a lot of resources, but they have the benefit of a massive market around them and therefore negligible trading, and freight costs, and now a single currency.

To compare the very different economic markets is unfathomable.

Politically, their government has more similar views to our current government as well.

Of course, Governments can determine their own countries destiny -- in either a good way or a bad way. Unfortunately, lately we have had management of the bad kind here.

Barry

Not so lately - for some time there's been management of a bad kind here.

My strategy to reduce my outlay in Europe next month is to buy crusty bread and cheese plus some vegetables and have this for lunch instead of eating at cafes.

Are you allowed to take sharp fruit knives in your suitcase on a cruise? Our cruise falls in the middle of 6 weeks in Europe.

My strategy to reduce my outlay in Europe next month is to buy crusty bread and cheese plus some vegetables and have this for lunch instead of eating at cafes.

Are you allowed to take sharp fruit knives in your suitcase on a cruise? Our cruise falls in the middle of 6 weeks in Europe.

Way to go, yes I have put a fruit knife in my checked baggage. Now where is Terry in Ohio, we need an update of the currencies, LOL.