Australia $ Value, Economic Direction?

From the Wall Street Journal this afternoon, they have this headline: "Australian Opposition Ahead in Polls, But Its Leader Isn't So Popular" with this subhead: "Conservative Tony Abbott Chafes Voters, Though Marshalls His Coalition Toward Power". Why is this important for anybody cruising there? As I have mentioned earlier, it is, indirectly, about your challenged economy and the future value of their Aussie dollar. Personally, I always to do my "homework" on a country's history, culture, politics, economy, etc. That is part of the learning experience for me. Others could care less. Each to their own for what "floats their boat"!! All of us have varied interests. Appreciate the many comments on this thread. It has been very, very interesting and informative.

Lots more details and background in the full story. To my eye and from I have read in the major Aussie newspaper, this seems to be a decent summary on the battle going on there. Hopefully this sampling gives a little flavor for what is happening in the next ten days in Australia before the Sept. 7 election. I am a regular subscriber to major newspapers such as the Wall Street Journal and New York Times. Not sure how getting this story through their website will work for others. Will follow-up in September to learn how things are moving on their economy down under after the election. Don't want to touch off a political debate here. That's a no-no on these boards. Hopefully this view from a visiting reporting team is of interest.

Full story at:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323407104579038632378881654.html?mod=WSJ_LatestHeadlines

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Yes, aussie politics have always been quite different to the US's, mainly due to the election process, but interesting none the less.

BTW, the aussie dollar has slipped below the 90 mark today and is currently $0.896.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

Terry. I have always noticed that you Americans say "Could care less" -- when we say "couldn't care less". I have always wondered why you say that. Being pedantic - but "could care less" surely means that you do care somewhat but "could care less".. whereas our "couldn't care less" means exactly that. So I couldn't care less what the polls are saying now - I have bought the popcorn for Saturday night next week and others in the street are bringing the beer and wine. They won't bring too much though because it is going to be an early night this time. Barry

MicCanberra: Yes' date=' aussie politics have always been quite different to the US's, mainly due to the election process, but interesting none the less. BTW, the dolloar has slipped below 0.90 today and is currently $0.896. [/quote']

Appreciate so much the keen insights and follow-ups from both of you. We'll see soon if your prediction of an "early night" proves true.

Totally clueless on your "Could care less" -- when we say "couldn't care less" question. Haven't thought about it. We both speak "English", but clearly there are unique differences in meanings, uses, etc. That's what makes things different and . . . FUN!!!

Right now, the Wall Street Journal has the Aussie dollar at $0.8956. Close to your $0.896 number.

It's just 146 days till boarding the Solstice in scenic Sydney harbor. But, who's counting and excitedly waiting? Me!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 140,458 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Yes, English is an ever evolving language and I do find it interesting that due to language, pronounciation, and accent can make so many differences in how it is spoken across the country and in different countries.:D

The amazing thing is that some TV shows have subtitles when they are actually speaking english. :eek:

Yes, aussie politics have always been quite different to the US's, mainly due to the election process, but interesting none the less.

.:D

I will be glad when this election is over.Labor brought over some Americans that worked on the Obama campaign with the result that we are getting American style politics of digging up dirt and and at times destroying the reputations of honest people.

Elaine.

I will be glad when this election is over.Labor brought over some Americans that worked on the Obama campaign with the result that we are getting American style politics of digging up dirt and and at times destroying the reputations of honest people.

Elaine.

I think that behaviour has been going on by both sides for the last 100 years.:D

Edited by MicCanberra

I think that behaviour has been going on by both sides for the last 100 years.:D

Agree. Dirty campaigning is not an American thing rather a worldwide trend, sadly. And BTW I never say "could care less" as it makes no sense, nor do most of my American friends ;)

Terry

I have always noticed that you Americans say "Could care less" -- when we say "couldn't care less". I have always wondered why you say that. Being pedantic - but "could care less" surely means that you do care somewhat but "could care less".. whereas our "couldn't care less" means exactly that.

Just one of those things where one word/saying means one thing, and reversing it also means, um, the same thing.

Inflammable = flammable

Unthaw = thaw

"Could care less" = "Couldn't care less"

What's more interesting, is if you come here (as an American) and say the American equivalent of bum bag, or to cheer for a sports team (i.e. "I'm rooting for the Dallas Cowboys!"). Fun times, fun times....

just one of those things where one word/saying means one thing, and reversing it also means, um, the same thing.

Inflammable = flammable

unthaw = thaw

"could care less" = "couldn't care less"

what's more interesting, is if you come here (as an american) and say the american equivalent of bum bag, or to cheer for a sports team (i.e. "i'm rooting for the dallas cowboys!"). Fun times, fun times....

lol, :D

Edited by MicCanberra

I don't agree.Thankfully this election campaign is short but parts of it have been particularly grubby.Have you been following what is happening in the seat of McMahon?

Elaine.

So what is happening in McMahon? And where is it? :)

It is in Sydney I presume. Mothballs said 'they have brought over some Americans that worked on the Obama campaign with the result that they are getting American style politics of digging up dirt and and at times destroying the reputations of honest people'.

This 'discrediting your opposition' behaviour goes back as far as the Egyptians in 3000 BC and probably earlier.

It is in Sydney I presume. Mothballs said 'they have brought over some Americans that worked on the Obama campaign with the result that they are getting American style politics of digging up dirt and and at times destroying the reputations of honest people'.

This 'discrediting your opposition' behaviour goes back as far as the Egyptians in 3000 BC and probably earlier.

Perhaps, though elements of American campaigns have been FAR more aggressive at it than we have been, which is what I think Mothballs is getting at.

That said, I haven't seen anything to those standards here yet - but I'm not in McMahon either.

I would also say that muckraking predates Obama, and both sides in the US are equally culpable of it.

I'm just disappointed this campaign there's barely any attention to policy quality. There's way too much spin, which isn't justified by the reality.

Edited by The_Big_M

Perhaps, though elements of American campaigns have been FAR more aggressive at it than we have been, which is what I think Mothballs is getting at.

That said, I haven't seen anything to those standards here yet - but I'm not in McMahon either.

I would also say that muckraking predates Obama, and both sides in the US are equally culpable of it.

I'm just disappointed this campaign there's barely any attention to policy quality. There's way too much spin, which isn't justified by the reality.

Definately agree, and in safe seats there is just no mention of anything locally.:D

There's way too much spin

Wait until the "History wars" start on the left hand side of politics - starting sometime around 8PM this Saturday night. THEN - you will see some spin!! - from both sides of the Left. :)

Barry

Wait until the "History wars" start on the left hand side of politics - starting sometime around 8PM this Saturday night. THEN - you will see some spin!! - from both sides of the Left. :)

Barry

I love listening to the losing side after it is clear they have lost the election. I think it is the only time we hear some truth, not spin. At the moment, Labor have to keep insisting they can win. :)

I love listening to the losing side after it is clear they have lost the election. I think it is the only time we hear some truth, not spin. At the moment, Labor have to keep insisting they can win. :)

Unfortunately (for us), Labour have no chance to reform Government in any capacity. The ACT will now be in a recession (all the sackings and subsequent businesses going under) for the next 6 years.:(

Labor probably lost this election when Kevin said "Trust Me". LOL.

Post election the big question is how does Labor move forward. If Rudd still holds his seat, do they remove him as the leader, if so will he go quitely or will he plot to undermine like he did the Gillard Government.

Kindest blessing for Labor would be if Rudd loses his seat and then they can go back and revisit what they actually stood for.

I don't think Rudd will go quietly. His ego is too big.

Labor probably lost this election when Kevin said "Trust Me". LOL.

Post election the big question is how does Labor move forward. If Rudd still holds his seat, do they remove him as the leader, if so will he go quitely or will he plot to undermine like he did the Gillard Government.

Kindest blessing for Labor would be if Rudd loses his seat and then they can go back and revisit what they actually stood for.

I don't think Rudd will go quietly. His ego is too big.

Time will tell.:rolleyes: