Don't Understand MDR

Cinders411

When I completed my cruise documents it had me indicate a time for lunch and dinner. I plan on eating my dinners in the MDR but, what if I am doing a port excursion during my lunch time? Will a table of people be sitting and waiting on me to show up? I am really confused about this.

Based on the crowds in the Lido buffet at lunchtime, I'd say that a minority of passengers go to the MDR for lunch.

On the rare occasions we've going to the MDR at lunch, we've been seated at tables with other passengers who've just arrived -- we didn't eat at the table we were assigned to for dinner.

Breakfast and Lunch in MDR is on your own. You show up and get seated with whoever is already there. You don't go to your normal table.

The assigned table is for dinner. If you are early seating and on an excursion that you think might run late, let the waiter know the night before at dinner that you might miss it so they don't wait an inordinate amount of time.

We took lots of all day excursions but always managed to get a quick clean up and run to the MDR, which we love. Once we were 5 minutes late, but that's it. We always tried to let them know that it was a chance.

You aren't assigned a table for lunch, only for dinner....which is the evening meal that many southerners call supper. (I do!) For lunch, only the aft dining room is open, and you are seated at the next available table, like in a restaurant. The difference from a restaurant, though, is that you will usually be seated with other people that you don't know. Also, you are not required to take your evening meals (dinner) in the dining room, and they will not wait for you to arrive before ordering, should you decide to dine elsewhere. Some people never eat in the dining room or they only do once or twice, but they still have a table assigned.

When I completed my cruise documents it had me indicate a time for lunch and dinner. I plan on eating my dinners in the MDR but, what if I am doing a port excursion during my lunch time? Will a table of people be sitting and waiting on me to show up? I am really confused about this.

The MDR is not open on port days for lunch, so no need to worry about that. And if you choose to go to the MDR for lunch on sea days, it is open seating. Have a great cruise.:)

Normally at lunch time you are seated where ever a table is open. Dinner, you will be seated with your table mates at your assigned table. Normally port excursions will NOT be longer that you will miss your dinner as the ship will be underway.

Are you looking at "early" and "late" seating..and thinking that "early" refers to lunch, maybe?

Otherwise, indeed you only need to indicate when you want to eat dinner in the MDR --"early" (5:30) or "late" (8:30). Whichever time you choose, you will sit at an assigned table at that assigned time, and eat dinner with whoever else is there. If for some reason you choose NOT to go to dinner, it is helpful (if you can) if you tell either one of your tablemates, or the staff at the dining room, so folks won't be waiting for you.

For lunch, you can go to the MDR if you're on board, and either eat at a table with others, or ask for a table by yourself. Or you can go to the buffet, or elsewhere..or on shore, somewhere.

what if I am doing a port excursion during my lunch time? Will a table of people be sitting and waiting on me to show up?
No, as the MDR is not open for lunch on port days.

This changed about 20 years ago. Previously the MDR had two seatings for breakfast and lunch as well as dinner. On port days, it would be open seating for lunch as the vast majority of passengers were ashore. But of course, this was all back in the days before there was even a lido buffet.

Normally port excursions will NOT be longer that you will miss your dinner as the ship will be underway.

Except for when the ship leaves a port at night, like when the Liberty left Cozumel at 10 p.m. We missed dinner and grabbed something on the Lido deck instead.

They don't ask about lunch, so I"m not sure where you saw that. You should have selected your preference for early dining, late dining or anytime dining when you booked the cruise. On your docs it should just be confirming your choice.

Archived