NCL Onboard Account

bcuser1

We are are brand new to cruising and going to be four of us and plan to use a prepaid credit card that will only be used for the onboard account. We have prepaid all of our excursions, meals, gratuity. I am not sure how much I need to have on the account with the knowledge that they will authorize the card up to three times per day. We do not gamble or do shows.Thanks!

Never, ever use a debit card for this.

Check carefully the terms and conditions of the pre-paid credit card. Some of these card providers disallow their use on things like cruise ships and hotels. You can usually find this info on the provider's website.

An alternative would be to pre-purchase on board credit in the amount you think you might spend. Sounds like you've pre-paid most of the onboard expenses. So consider things like alcohol/soda and any specialty dining you might want to enjoy.

Again, never use a debit card for your onboard account.

Never, ever use a debit card for this...

Can you expand on that please triptolemus. Noticing your strength of feeling, I assume this is a security issue so why is a debit card any less secure than a credit card?

I was planning to use my prepaid debit card for this year's cruise so am off to checkout their t & c's now and wait to hear back from you too.

One major problem with the use of a Debit Card is that they place a hold on it, I think USD300 to start with. Then if you approach that limit they again put on another hold and so on. The holds may well not drop off for up to a month depending on the bank. It could leave you short of available funds if you run "close to the wind" normally.

Can you expand on that please triptolemus. Noticing your strength of feeling, I assume this is a security issue so why is a debit card any less secure than a credit card?

I was planning to use my prepaid debit card for this year's cruise so am off to checkout their t & c's now and wait to hear back from you too.

In general NEVER use a debit card. If your card is compromised it will be your bank account that loses money. Yes, you'll eventually get it back from your bank, but in the meantime you could have payments (mortgage, car, utilities, etc) rejected. Whereas, if your credit card is compromised, it's not your money that's at risk. Eighteen years in banking, with most of that time handling deposit accounts and adjustments...don't assume the bank can or will get your money back into your checking account right away.

One major problem with the use of a Debit Card is that they place a hold on it, I think USD300 to start with. Then if you approach that limit they again put on another hold and so on. The holds may well not drop off for up to a month depending on the bank. It could leave you short of available funds if you run "close to the wind" normally.

Thanks for that. My intention is to offer my credit card as security, but at the end of the cruise use my prepaid debit card to actually settle the account. I did read earlier in the thread that some debit card companies do not allow the use of their card on cruises, but thankfully mine is not one of them. Now I just need to check with NCL that they will accept the prepaid card.

In general NEVER use a debit card. If your card is compromised it will be your bank account that loses money. Yes, you'll eventually get it back from your bank, but in the meantime you could have payments (mortgage, car, utilities, etc) rejected. Whereas, if your credit card is compromised, it's not your money that's at risk. Eighteen years in banking, with most of that time handling deposit accounts and adjustments...don't assume the bank can or will get your money back into your checking account right away.

That's sound advice irishgal and something I will keep in mind for the future. Thanks.

Never, ever use a debit card for this.

Check carefully the terms and conditions of the pre-paid credit card. Some of these card providers disallow their use on things like cruise ships and hotels. You can usually find this info on the provider's website.

An alternative would be to pre-purchase on board credit in the amount you think you might spend. Sounds like you've pre-paid most of the onboard expenses. So consider things like alcohol/soda and any specialty dining you might want to enjoy.

How do you managed to jump from OP's question about a prepaid CC to using a debit card. Clearly in your world 2 + 2 = 5.5

The only reason not to use a debit card is that holds are placed on it, and it may take up to 30 days for the hold to fall off. If you have large balances in the bank it really isn't an issue but if you don't keep a large balance in that account it can be an issue. If the card is compromised you have fewer safety features than you do with a CC, If it is truly a prepaid debit card, the most you can be out is what is on the card and it is not an issue. Security is not the reason most people say not to use a debit card.

Thanks for that. My intention is to offer my credit card as security, but at the end of the cruise use my prepaid debit card to actually settle the account. I did read earlier in the thread that some debit card companies do not allow the use of their card on cruises, but thankfully mine is not one of them. Now I just need to check with NCL that they will accept the prepaid card.

This should not be an issue. You should be able to pay your account on the last night using the prepaid card, even if they won't accept it for the security on your account at check in.

Have a great cruise.

The only reason not to use a debit card is that holds are placed on it, and it may take up to 30 days for the hold to fall off. If you have large balances in the bank it really isn't an issue but if you don't keep a large balance in that account it can be an issue. If the card is compromised you have fewer safety features than you do with a CC, If it is truly a prepaid debit card, the most you can be out is what is on the card and it is not an issue. Security is not the reason most people say not to use a debit card.

This should not be an issue. You should be able to pay your account on the last night using the prepaid card, even if they won't accept it for the security on your account at check in.

Have a great cruise.

Thank you. My particular card is fairly new to the market and has additional features that I have never come across before, upping the security level. Using a smartphone app, users of this card can disable the card completely or just individual features of it. So, I only load it when I know I'm going to use it and then immediately disable it until needed.

Unless anyone can see a flaw in my plan to guarantee with a CC and use this particular card, I think I've got it covered.

Getting back to the OP, to summarise, it would seem that they will manage their way, but will also have to remember that NCL will put a block on a part of the available funds and that is probably $300. As far as security goes, a prepaid card is only as good as the value it holds, so as far as I can see, is more secure than any regular CC or DC. Does that about cover it or have I missed anything?

My thanks to you all for your help.

Thank you. My particular card is fairly new to the market and has additional features that I have never come across before, upping the security level. Using a smartphone app, users of this card can disable the card completely or just individual features of it. So, I only load it when I know I'm going to use it and then immediately disable it until needed.

Unless anyone can see a flaw in my plan to guarantee with a CC and use this particular card, I think I've got it covered.

Getting back to the OP, to summarise, it would seem that they will manage their way, but will also have to remember that NCL will put a block on a part of the available funds and that is probably $300. As far as security goes, a prepaid card is only as good as the value it holds, so as far as I can see, is more secure than any regular CC or DC. Does that about cover it or have I missed anything?

My thanks to you all for your help.

The only thing you could be missing, and would have to go to NCL for this, is that I've never read a post on this board about someone using a prepaid card to secure their account at the beginning of a cruise - therefore I don't know if their system will take it. The plan someone mentioned of using their debit card to open the account and then the prepaid card to settle it stands more chance of working IMO, but then they just have the holds on the debit card.

That being said, I really do hope everyone who is trying to work out how to not use a credit card for their account does bring a credit card on vacation with them! Keep in mind that if you break a leg in another country they are going to want payment secured upfront (and many travel insurance won't they just reimburse afterwards). Emergencies happen where you need access to move cash than you have in your checking account and being out of the country will make it really difficult to work something else out on the fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by sanger727

The only thing you could be missing, and would have to go to NCL for this, is that I've never read a post on this board about someone using a prepaid card to secure their account at the beginning of a cruise - therefore I don't know if their system will take it. The plan someone mentioned of using their debit card to open the account and then the prepaid card to settle it stands more chance of working IMO, but then they just have the holds on the debit card.

That being said, I really do hope everyone who is trying to work out how to not use a credit card for their account does bring a credit card on vacation with them! Keep in mind that if you break a leg in another country they are going to want payment secured upfront (and many travel insurance won't they just reimburse afterwards). Emergencies happen where you need access to move cash than you have in your checking account and being out of the country will make it really difficult to work something else out on the fly.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I could not agree more sanger and always travel with two credit cards and now I also have the prepaid debit card.

That is an interesting comment that you made about insurance. I think possibly that only applies in the case of US insurers. I worked for some years with a UK travel company and part of my remit was to help holidaymakers who had been taken ill or suffered accidents on holiday. It was a matter that I was involved in on a daily basis. You cannot imagine how many people unexpectedly get a two-centre holiday; beach and hospital bed! As far as UK insurers are concerned, once they have established that the claim is justified, they deal directly with the relevant hospital or clinic, leaving the holidaymaker come patient to concentrate on getting fit enough to get back to their holiday or return home.

• 1 month later...

Irishgal, thanks for your banking insight.

This pre-paid credit card thing to pay off the regular credit card seems like too many steps.

Rather than buying the prepaid credit card, leave the money in your bank. Secure your on board account with the credit card. Take a copy of your bill home. Immediate pay your credit card that amount. Viola . . .no high credit card bill.

My philosophy is never ever use a debit card for absolutely anything...except...emergency cash from a secured inside a bank lobby ATM machine....and only if the branch is closed and you can't get cash from a teller

I use credit cards for everything except perhaps the tips for the hairdresser etc and I always have enough cash in the house to grab $200 if need be

I charge the stuff and then pay the credit card via my secure online banking account on a weekly basis and never pay interest

Oh and for the record I was a banker in my previous life and was part of the roll out of the first 24 hour banking kiosks in NYC back in the day....you know before hacking/cloning etc...so I'm not the sky is falling type at all...credit cards are the best not debit and definitely not a prepaid visa or MC

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This pre-paid credit card thing to pay off the regular credit card seems like too many steps.

Rather than buying the prepaid credit card, leave the money in your bank. Secure your on board account with the credit card. Take a copy of your bill home. Immediate pay your credit card that amount. Viola . . .no high credit card bill.

This!!!

But let's be honest here...when a poster says they "don't" use credit cards...I ask why?

The theory I come up with isn't that they "don't use credit cards" but that they "can't use credit cards"

Yes I know there is a double negative there. I really hate that but want to make the point lol

Listen to the bankers on this thread!!!