Jeans or Capris/Bermuda Shorts or a Combo Plate?

Hi All,

I know, it is pitiful, I am already thinking about what to pack in May for our Bermuda cruise.

I'm a little conflicted. During the day, I am thinking jeans for the cruise between Boston and Hamilton and the reverse. Not sure if it will be warm enough over the open ocean for anything else (??) Once in Hamilton, do you think it will be warm enough for capris/bermuda length shorts or possibly too cool yet in mid May? I am thinking I am going to have to bring both jeans and capris/bermuda shorts for during the day due to uncertain climate. Am I right? Need some opinions from folks who have cruised to Bermuda in mid May....!

(In the evening, I always dress in something a little nicer to go to dinner. I leave the jeans and capris etc. for during the day)

Thanks for the assistance...opinions needed!

I know, it is pitiful, I am already thinking about what to pack in May for our Bermuda cruise.

What are you talking about? I'm already beginning to plot out my packing list for our Alaska cruise at the end of June.

This post may have been entered by voice recognition. Please excuse any typographical errors.

And to make you feel even better, I'm not leaving until mid July and started a few weeks ago! :D

Well, we all think alike....we are pro-active and plan ahead. That is a good thing IMO!;)

Now if somebody only has some ideas about jeans vs capris/shorts.......really need opinions. I don't want to take my whole closet with me..again....groan!:o

Hi All,

I'm a little conflicted. During the day, I am thinking jeans for the cruise between Boston and Hamilton and the reverse. Not sure if it will be warm enough over the open ocean for anything else (??) Once in Hamilton, do you think it will be warm enough for capris/bermuda length shorts or possibly too cool yet in mid May? I am thinking I am going to have to bring both jeans and capris/bermuda shorts for during the day due to uncertain climate. Am I right? Need some opinions from folks who have cruised to Bermuda in mid May....!

(In the evening, I always dress in something a little nicer to go to dinner. I leave the jeans and capris etc. for during the day)

Thanks for the assistance...opinions needed![/qu

Linda, It is not the least pitiful and you are on the right track jean s for durin g the sea days are fine t's, and ss polos are perfect I have ben to Bermuda for Memorial day week end stwice and both times it rained and was cool but you cnanot know in advancb ut to read weagther predictions online When Bermuda is beautiful it is truly beautiful weaht er We were in Bermuda end of Otober once for resort stay and expected cold/ rainy wseather and it was glorious and we spent all day sunning at pool or beach :) B ring your capris and your knee length shorts, You are bound to want them at least a few days

Enjoy and dont ' worry, some of our all season fabrics really do work all season Ponte knit shorts /ca pris work well

Thank you Sails, I appreciate the help!

I figured it would be a "Combo Plate" kind of trip...you confirmed that.

Kind of like Alaska.. it can be very cool or warm...you never know!

The Caribbean you know what you're getting and can just bring clothing for warm/hot weather.....

You are headed just rght and will do fine A light w eight jacket if you want but well might not need it :) stuff one in a front pocket of suitcase or carr y on, just in case

Have a wondeful cruise :)

We've taken the Veendam to Bermuda in early May and also mid June, and both crossings were mainly on the cool side and foggy. I needed a sweater or light jacket on the open decks. The weather in Bermuda on both trips was hot and sunny during the day, and then it cooled down a bit in the evenings. We wore shorts, even in May, so I think you are wise to pack some warm and cool options. Weather is unpredictable, but that was our experience. Happy sailing!

We've taken the Veendam to Bermuda in early May and also mid June, and both crossings were mainly on the cool side and foggy. I needed a sweater or light jacket on the open decks. The weather in Bermuda on both trips was hot and sunny during the day, and then it cooled down a bit in the evenings. We wore shorts, even in May, so I think you are wise to pack some warm and cool options. Weather is unpredictable, but that was our experience. Happy sailing!

Thank you for sharing your experience. ...I appreciate the advice!

Did this trip on the May 20 sailing last year. Bermuda was HOT; we would have been very uncomfortable had we gone on one of the June sailings. I would bring both the jeans and the shorts, plus a sweatshirt/light sweater or fleece for the ocean. Have a great trip! We really enjoyed it.

Did this trip on the May 20 sailing last year. Bermuda was HOT; we would have been very uncomfortable had we gone on one of the June sailings. I would bring both the jeans and the shorts, plus a sweatshirt/light sweater or fleece for the ocean. Have a great trip! We really enjoyed it.

Thank you for sharing this.... with not just me..... it benefits all who want to know. Everybody seems to be on the same page judging from the responses....

I will take the whole closet as usual! Haha...just joking.

But,sometimes it seems I am taking it all even though I am not!;)

One thing for sure, no matter how hot it is anywhere, this old gal of close to 65 isn't wearing "short" shorts :eek:...or in my day they called them "hot pants"....I don't even wear shorts much unless they are "bermuda length" and mostly wear capri pants in a lighter fabric. And it gets hot here in Charlotte in the summer! Believe me!

Too "mature" for the shorts of my younger years....I like dressing age appropriate!

I know Bermuda is conservative from what i have read, and even if I were young, I would dress modestly. I hope visitors realize that when they sail there.

And to make you feel even better, I'm not leaving until mid July and started a few weeks ago! :D

I love you guys, I pack in October for a March cruise, then I just have to throw in the last minute items before flying off to meet my cruise ship....I thought I was the only crazy one who did that.....

I love you guys, I pack in October for a March cruise, then I just have to throw in the last minute items before flying off to meet my cruise ship....I thought I was the only crazy one who did that.....

Nope, move over, you've got company! Every time we go out, I look for something else to hang in the cruise closet. Here's my criteria: will it go with things I've already got; do I have any scarves I can wear with it; is it washable; is it lightweight? That's the most important to me - is it lightweight, because if it is, that means I can bring more for variety! PS: We leave Oct 23rd. LOL

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

Gerry

One thing for sure, no matter how hot it is anywhere, this old gal of close to 65 isn't wearing "short" shorts :eek:...or in my day they called them "hot pants"....I don't even wear shorts much unless they are "bermuda length" and mostly wear capri pants in a lighter fabric. And it gets hot here in Charlotte in the summer! Believe me!

Too "mature" for the shorts of my younger years....I like dressing age appropriate!

I know Bermuda is conservative from what i have read, and even if I were young, I would dress modestly. I hope visitors realize that when they sail there.

Actually on my two cruises to Bermuda of the last few summers, most of the a pax seemed to use reasonably good raste when going off the ship in Bemuda I can'tr say what swimwsuits they may have worn as I DID NOt go to the beach but the ladies and most of the gfuys wore respectable walk around clothes on the tsreets of Hamilton, IMO They were decently covered up and I suppose that is bout the besg we can hope for :)

NO shorts for this senior lady , :) capri pants and pants that come to at least top to middle of knee

One thing for sure, no matter how hot it is anywhere, this old gal of close to 65 isn't wearing "short" shorts :eek:...or in my day they called them "hot pants"....I don't even wear shorts much unless they are "bermuda length" and mostly wear capri pants in a lighter fabric. And it gets hot here in Charlotte in the summer! Believe me! Too "mature" for the shorts of my younger years....I like dressing age appropriate! I know Bermuda is conservative from what i have read, and even if I were young, I would dress modestly. I hope visitors realize that when they sail there.
NO shorts for this senior lady , :) capri pants and pants that come to at least top to middle of knee... no matter how hot out it gets.... that is what sundresses are for. :)

Actually, my two cruises to Bermuda the last few summers, the pax wre decently dressed in walk around clothes on the streets of Hamilton I can't speak about swimsuits as i did not go to the beach but, they were modestly dressed when walking out and about and I thought tha t about the best we can hope for Everyone looked decent leaving the ship in Bermuda from what I notiiced

Edited by sail7seas

Well my Carry on is almost completely packed. Shoes, purses, jewellery and day wear have made it through round one. Two more rounds to go.

We fly out Oct 12.

Oh my Lord, do you think about packing in the middle of the night too? I'll bet you do........

I am so surprised there are so many like me that plan so far ahead.....in fact, way farther than I do.....Whew!!!:o

NO shorts for this senior lady , :) capri pants and pants that come to at least top to middle of knee... no matter how hot out it gets.... that is what sundresses are for. :)

Actually, my two cruises to Bermuda the last few summers, the pax wre decently dressed in walk around clothes on the streets of Hamilton I can't speak about swimsuits as i did not go to the beach but, they were modestly dressed when walking out and about and I thought tha t about the best we can hope for Everyone looked decent leaving the ship in Bermuda from what I notiiced

I am glad to hear that, I had read it was quite conservative and I had "shivers" thinking about some passengers invading the island in their usual Caribbean wear, which sometimes is quite revealing or skimpy from what I have seen. Hey, if you are young and have a good figure, flaunt it, but there are times and places that are appropriate to flaunt it. And one needs to be aware of local customs where they are visiting IMO.

Yes, Sails, I am of the age where my "Hollywood Days" are over, and I recognize that fact, and dress appropriately as I am sure you and many others do.......it is only right to do so. No one wants to see my old figure in something appropriate for a 25 year old.....it would be very scary!!:eek: Just trying to find an age appropriate bathing suit is a tough job. I did find a good style on LLBean that fits well and covers in all the right places. I was so glad........! I try not to wear a bathing suit very often, even though I have a decent figure for a mid 60's person, but I am no glamour-puss, and I know it! Just something that looks pretty good, has good coverage for "the girls" and doesn't embarrass myself or anyone else is the perfect ticket for me!;)

Hi LInda

We have 5 weeks until we sail (and even earlier for flying out) and I am contemplating and perplexed too.

What I can tell you is that we have done a couple of TA's with a stop in Bermuda and the weather there was gorgeous. I'm hoping it is the same again.

Obviously from other reports, it's a pack "layered clothing" scenario but if you are used to any kind of winter at all, I'm pretty sure you wil enjoy the change ;)

I am glad to hear that, I had read it was quite conservative and I had "shivers" thinking about some passengers invading the island in their usual Caribbean wear, which sometimes is quite revealing or skimpy from what I have seen. Hey, if you are young and have a good figure, flaunt it, but there are times and places that are appropriate to flaunt it. And one needs to be aware of local customs where they are visiting IMO.

Yes, Sails, I am of the age where my "Hollywood Days" are over, and I recognize that fact, and dress appropriately as I am sure you and many others do.......it is only right to do so. No one wants to see my old figure in something appropriate for a 25 year old.....it would be very scary!!:eek: Just trying to find an age appropriate bathing suit is a tough job. I did find a good style on LLBean that fits well and covers in all the right places. I was so glad........! I try not to wear a bathing suit very often, even though I have a decent figure for a mid 60's person, but I am no glamour-puss, and I know it! Just something that looks pretty good, has good coverage for "the girls" and doesn't embarrass myself or anyone else is the perfect ticket for me!;)

Linda, I SO hope we meet soon on one ship or another. What you just wrot e are words I have spoken. I think we may be alike in many ways. You 'rock', lady as the kids say.

LOL!! Me, too! I've been trying out various packing strategies -- picture the computer game "Tetris" -- to see how to get things to fit most efficiently. I need to decide which luggage pieces I need to take so I can make the reservation with Luggage Forward (no way I'm going to schlep luggage for a 38-day cruise through 2 airports and 2 hotels BEFORE I even get on the ship, plus 2 airports and 1 hotel on the way home).

And I'm already doing some pre-planning for my September cruise (29 days Vancouver --> Miami via Alaska & Panama Canal on the Regent Seven Seas Mariner). I head to Vancouver exactly 16 days after I get home from Boston, so I have to repack and have everything ready to go for Luggage Forward about 10 days after I get home. Not complaining -- but it does require planning.

So for Irish Eyes Are Smiling -- you've got this covered. Planning will always pay off, and it sounds like you're thinking about the right things. Have a great time!

Lana in Bellingham, WA