Thanksgiving flights

Wilson

Our cruise leaves the day after Thanksgiving. After one too many close calls, we no longer fly on the day of sailing.

We were originally going to fly on Thanksgiving day, but since the dogs have to be kenneled the day before (boarding facility closed for drop-offs on Thurs turkey day) we are considering a Wed flight. The extra night of hotel is no big deal, as we are getting a GREAT rate, and the flight fare is the same. Additionally if the weather is nice we can have a pre-cruise beach day and being Thanksgiving there will probably not be many folks there. If the weather is predicted to by less than favorable we will reserve Thanksgiving brunch and do some sightseeing.

We have absolutely no experience flying around the holidays but hear and read about crazy lines and delays. There is a 5:30 pm flight on Wed that leaves DFW and arrives in Miami at 9 pm. Does anyone have experience flying on the day before Thanksgiving? Will the biggest rush be earlier in the day?

It's true that Thanksgiving day is a better day for flying than the day before. Every point of airport contact, i.e., parking/drop off, check-in, bag drop, security, and boarding will be very crowded on Wednesday - even in the late afternoon. However, most of the time all those masses of people do make their flights. Just plan on arriving at the airport earlier than you normally would and expect long lines.

Your other option would be to kennel the dogs on Wednesday and fly on Thursday. I would recommend making a final decision sooner rather than later. Last year we flew on Thanksgiving day having purchased tickets about 9 months ahead. By September the prices for our air tickets had tripled and hotel rates had also increased significantly.

I have heard on numerous occasions that the day before Thanksgiving is THE biggest travel day of the year...both on land and in the skies.

As another poster suggested, kennel the pets on Wednesday and fly out Thanksgiving Day. It may be busy, but not nearly as much as it will be on Wednesday.

• 1 year later...

We flew the Wednesday before Thanksgiving last year. First time we traveled for Thanksgiving in years. Everyone we told said we were crazy. It was fine. Give yourself some extra time in Dallas. If you're not connecting, once you're through security it won't feel any different and with the time difference you'll be getting in late to Miami and it will probably be pretty empty that late on the night before Thanksgiving.

If the 5:30 flight works best for you, don't stress too much about it. You'll be fine.

Edit: Oh jeez, old thread! Sorry!!!

Thx for the replies. Looks like we will fly out early on Thanksgiving.

Good approach.

We used to live up in north Texas.

DFW will be relatively quiet on the morning of Thanksgiving.

There should be a very early flight and I would take it.

If you think it's too early to get to the airport consider staying over at the Hyatt Hotel.

There are two of them and one is connected to one of the terminals (the international one) but once checked in you can take the tram to get to the terminal you need to.

Keith

Good approach.

We used to live up in north Texas.

DFW will be relatively quiet on the morning of Thanksgiving.

There should be a very early flight and I would take it.

If you think it's too early to get to the airport consider staying over at the Hyatt Hotel.

There are two of them and one is connected to one of the terminals (the international one) but once checked in you can take the tram to get to the terminal you need to.

Keith

Thx Keith. This is an old thread that I forgot to update. We ended up taking an Uber (tipped well for working on Thanksgiving) and flew out Thanksgiving morning. The only thing that topped “no lines” was not having to deal with my drama driven in laws!

That was a good choice. We flew out on Turkey Day a few years ago to Ft Lauderdale and stayed 2 night before the cruise. There were no lines and it was so much less stressful.