Alamo shuttle from Port Everglades to Airport?

speddog59

Returning a car next Tuesday to Alamo Rental Car at Fort Lauderdale Airport. We are going on the Celebrity Constellation later that day. Can anyone tell me if the complimentary shuttle service to the cruise terminals is still in existence and would it be operational on Tuesday.

Returning a car next Tuesday to Alamo Rental Car at Fort Lauderdale Airport. We are going on the Celebrity Constellation later that day. Can anyone tell me if the complimentary shuttle service to the cruise terminals is still in existence and would it be operational on Tuesday.

A safe bet would be to call Alamo and ask them if it is still available.:):)

Thanks to reading about it on the boards here I can say it was available from FLL to Port Everglades on January 2, 2016. We returned the car, walked up to the area they told us and had to show a proof we had rented through Alamo. Got on the shuttle and it left right away. We left on a Saturday, several people on the shuttle and we were the last ones dropped off at Celebrity Equinox. The would drop people off, then others would get on. It was nice, BUT there were rude people who would put carry on down on empty seat leaving some people to stand. :p

Enjoy your trip!

The shuttle does a constant circuit. When we took it a few weeks ago, they had a couple buses running. Look for big decorated airport buses like below (sorry the pic isn't a bit bigger, it's from the airport website). Don't look for the typical blue/green Alamo/National buses.

ShuttleBus.jpg

• 11 months later...

We are considering renting a car from Alamo for the day we get off our cruise in Apr and drop off the car at the airport in the evening to catch our flight home. Will we be able to use the shuttle to get to the cruise port on the day that we arrive to FLL? Or can the shuttle only be used on the day of our rental?

We are considering renting a car from Alamo for the day we get off our cruise in Apr and drop off the car at the airport in the evening to catch our flight home. Will we be able to use the shuttle to get to the cruise port on the day that we arrive to FLL? Or can the shuttle only be used on the day of our rental?

Only on rental day unless you lie to the driver, flash the upcoming rental agreement and hope he doesn't look closely.

We easily got the Alamo shuttle at terminal 2 (Regal Princess) on 2/12. They now drop you at a location close to the airport but NOT at the airport. Was actually easier than being dropped at the airport. This new location just opened earlier in February and they don't quite have all the kinks out but easy to navigate when we left with our car vs. navigation at the airport.

Car return was at the airport. There are NO drop-off-at-different-location-fee involved--YAY!

But DO compare the rental agreement printed out when you pick up your car to your reservation agreement. We did not and they had overcharged us ~$14 more. We caught it when we returned the car and Alamo customer service at the airport was able to correct the charges. But know that it takes quite a bit of time for them to make the correction: they said each line has to be corrected individually...not just the total. So had we been in a hurry and didn't have the extra time for the correction...just double check when you pick up your car!

We did like the new pickup location as closer to the port without the busyness of the airport.

We easily got the Alamo shuttle at terminal 2 (Regal Princess) on 2/12. They now drop you at a location close to the airport but NOT at the airport. Was actually easier than being dropped at the airport. This new location just opened earlier in February and they don't quite have all the kinks out but easy to navigate when we left with our car vs. navigation at the airport.

Car return was at the airport. There are NO drop-off-at-different-location-fee involved--YAY!

But DO compare the rental agreement printed out when you pick up your car to your reservation agreement. We did not and they had overcharged us ~$14 more. We caught it when we returned the car and Alamo customer service at the airport was able to correct the charges. But know that it takes quite a bit of time for them to make the correction: they said each line has to be corrected individually...not just the total. So had we been in a hurry and didn't have the extra time for the correction...just double check when you pick up your car!

We did like the new pickup location as closer to the port without the busyness of the airport.

The new location on Eller Drive is charging considerably more than cars picked up at FLL. Right now they are allowing people to return cars to Eller Drive that were booked to return at FLL, but sooner or later they may stop this courtesy so "buyer beware."

The new location on Eller Drive is charging considerably more than cars picked up at FLL. Right now they are allowing people to return cars to Eller Drive that were booked to return at FLL, but sooner or later they may stop this courtesy so "buyer beware."

As you will recall, we have already discussed this and I took note of your advice and have already moved the drop off of my inbound Budget rental to SE 17th.

In terms of picking up my Alamo rental on my return, I am seeing the same premium as you for a Port Everglades (Eller Drive) pick up with the premium, over the FLL rate, being comparable with what I would expect to pay on the meter for the 3.25 mile taxi ride to FLL ($2.50 +16 x $0.50).

Certainly at the moment Alamo seem to be operating on the basis that being so close to the cruise terminal, the level of demand is going to enable them to charge a premium over the airport and if that turns out to be the case, then, on busy port days with perhaps 10,000 people arriving at PE, the Eller Drive pick up may be extremely slow.

It will be interesting to see how it all works out and whether or not the level of demand will enable them to maintain the premium but, given the risk of Port Everglades being very busy, for the moment, I have decided to stick with an FLL pick up which I can always cancel without penalty if the premium goes away.

Obviously I will keep looking at prices to see if the premium disappears, but I must confess that, even then, I will remain concerned about the risk of long lines at Eller Drive on busy days.

As you will recall, we have already discussed this and I took note of your advice and have already moved the drop off of my inbound Budget rental to SE 17th.

In terms of picking up my Alamo rental on my return, I am seeing the same premium as you for a Port Everglades (Eller Drive) pick up with the premium, over the FLL rate, being comparable with what I would expect to pay on the meter for the 3.25 mile taxi ride to FLL ($2.50 +16 x $0.50).

Certainly at the moment Alamo seem to be operating on the basis that being so close to the cruise terminal, the level of demand is going to enable them to charge a premium over the airport and if that turns out to be the case, then, on busy port days with perhaps 10,000 people arriving at PE, the Eller Drive pick up may be extremely slow.

It will be interesting to see how it all works out and whether or not the level of demand will enable them to maintain the premium but, given the risk of Port Everglades being very busy, for the moment, I have decided to stick with an FLL pick up which I can always cancel without penalty if the premium goes away.

Obviously I will keep looking at prices to see if the premium disappears, but I must confess that, even then, I will remain concerned about the risk of long lines at Eller Drive on busy days.

I just spoke with James (I think he's Scottish) at the Eller location. Wow! Not only will the Eller Drive location allow you to pick up your Alamo rental reserved at FLL, they will match ANY car rental reservation from ANY car rental agency and accommodate you if you just walk in. James said they were an extension of the airport and was surprised their is a difference in rental price between their location and FLL. So I think you are good.

When I dropped off my car was shocked there is no longer a free shuttle from the airport. Nothing said on their website that I saw.

Took a cab to the pier. Compensated 15.00 which did not cover the cab cost. Will have to figure something else out. Been using Alamo for years

Perhaps you should read this entire thread.

• 10 months later...

I'll add to the discussion, for many years we have rented with Alamo at FLL pre cruise. The day of the cruise we brought the car back to FLL and they had a free transfer to the ship. On our last cruise back in Feb. 2017 we were surprised the there was no more free shuttle, they had opened a location in the port area (Eller Drive) and if we had retured the car there there would have been a free shuttle to the ship. Since no one had told us we just took an Uber from the airport to the ship, no big deal. We are sailing again out of Port Everglades in a few weeks and this time renting post cruise. I've booked the pickup location as Port Everglades and the drop off the next day at FLL. The car is costing me $39 for the 24 hour period. From what I've heard they will pick me up at the ship when we disembark, I hope that is correct. I also looked into renting at FLL and returning to FLL and it would have been $32....$7 less, however it would have cost me more than $7 to get back to FLL from the pier so I'm just going to leave it as is.

Just found this on Alamo website:

Follow these steps when you arrive at Port Everglades (FLLP71)

After exiting the cruise ship, please proceed to the shuttle bus/ bus pick up area.

An Alamo branded shuttle bus will be available to take you to our rental location that is 1 mile from the port of call. Shuttles are running continuously during all cruise departures/ arrivals and all business hours of operation.

If you have any questions or concerns during our normal business hours please call 1-954-524-8201 or after hours at 1-888-826-6893.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm, for the day after my cruise, I have reserved a FLL pick up return to same and an Eller Drive pick up FLL return. Trying to decide which to cancel. The cost was 14 more for the Eller to FLL vs FLL same return. Lyft Estimate cruise port to airport is $8, making it a wash cost wise. What I am wondering is if the wait in line would be longer at the airport or Eller Dr. Does anyone know which is the larger location?

We are only renting for the day as we have a flight out that evening. Wondering if it is worth the cost and the hassle at all. My thought was we could get some lunch, take an air boat tour, and have a place to keep our luggage. I know some air boat tour operators will pick up at the port, stow the luggage, then return to the airport. Wondering if that might be the better way to go. But we lose a little freedom if the tour starts later or gets finished earlier and we have a few more hours to kill.

Edited by imescaping
typos