Best river cruise line for Danube for younger couple (one gluten free)?

Hamlette

The hubby and I are interested in doing a Danube river cruise (possibly in May of 2018 but starting to look now). We haven't decided on length but probably something in the 12-day range and we'd probably like to start in Budapest and make our way west. I realize there are a ton of "which is the best" threads, but rather than asking in general terms I'm interested in opinions (especially from those who have cruised with more than one line) on which you think would be the best for *US* given a couple of factors:

1. I have Celiac which means a strict "no cheating" gluten free diet. I realize no line can absolutely guarantee no cross-contamination but the effort put into accommodating gluten free diners can vary wildly and the cruise line's written policy often isn't indicative of the actual experience, in either direction. Sometimes they promise little but deliver much, sometimes they make it sound like it'll be fine and you have problems the entire trip. Despite my restriction I'm an adventurous foodie and unseasoned chicken breasts and naked salads (or no accommodation at all) aren't going to make for enjoyable dining. The main reason Scenic isn't on my list is that I've heard not great things about them regarding special diets.

2. We're younger than the average river cruising demographic. I'm in my 30s and my husband is in his 40s, we both work full time but like to save up both time and money for a good trip once a year. We don't mind being on the younger side and actually have quite a few good friends who are much older but I'm not sure if we would feel horribly out of place on certain cruise lines like Uniworld or Tauck (which would otherwise be my first choices based on reviews, itineraries and inclusions).

I'm drawn to the all-inclusive lines since we do like having options for tours and an evening cocktail or two and might end up spending just about as much on a line where those things were a la carte. We don't have a "sky's the limit" budget and will probably book a basic no frills room to keep costs down but ultimately we're more interested in a good value than a cheap price tag so if one of the boutique lines is really a bigger bang for your buck than Viking that's a consideration. We also enjoy classical music and would certainly take advantage of a concert in Vienna. Any advice or opinions are appreciated!

The hubby and I are interested in doing a Danube river cruise (possibly in May of 2018 but starting to look now). We haven't decided on length but probably something in the 12-day range and we'd probably like to start in Budapest and make our way west. I realize there are a ton of "which is the best" threads, but rather than asking in general terms I'm interested in opinions (especially from those who have cruised with more than one line) on which you think would be the best for *US* given a couple of factors:

1. I have Celiac which means a strict "no cheating" gluten free diet. I realize no line can absolutely guarantee no cross-contamination but the effort put into accommodating gluten free diners can vary wildly and the cruise line's written policy often isn't indicative of the actual experience, in either direction. Sometimes they promise little but deliver much, sometimes they make it sound like it'll be fine and you have problems the entire trip. Despite my restriction I'm an adventurous foodie and unseasoned chicken breasts and naked salads (or no accommodation at all) aren't going to make for enjoyable dining. The main reason Scenic isn't on my list is that I've heard not great things about them regarding special diets.

2. We're younger than the average river cruising demographic. I'm in my 30s and my husband is in his 40s, we both work full time but like to save up both time and money for a good trip once a year. We don't mind being on the younger side and actually have quite a few good friends who are much older but I'm not sure if we would feel horribly out of place on certain cruise lines like Uniworld or Tauck (which would otherwise be my first choices based on reviews, itineraries and inclusions).

I'm drawn to the all-inclusive lines since we do like having options for tours and an evening cocktail or two and might end up spending just about as much on a line where those things were a la carte. We don't have a "sky's the limit" budget and will probably book a basic no frills room to keep costs down but ultimately we're more interested in a good value than a cheap price tag so if one of the boutique lines is really a bigger bang for your buck than Viking that's a consideration. We also enjoy classical music and would certainly take advantage of a concert in Vienna. Any advice or opinions are appreciated!

Have a look at Crystal River Cruises. Whilst many will say they cater to an older demographic I have cruised with them onboard their ocean ships over the past ten years and have found a mix of ages on all my trips. The group of friends I travel with when I can are in the mid 40's to mid 60's age group, we are all active travellers and have no issues with the onboard experience not catering to our needs. The Crystal Mozart, which launches in mid July and was built specifically for the Danube, is a large river boat with multiple dining venues, lounges/bars, etc and all standard staterooms (either window or french balcony) are the same size and layout (200+ sq.ft.). They are fully inclusive throughout the ship (food and beverage, gratuities, tour guides, airport transfers, etc.) and offer a large selection of complimentary tours, active (e-bikes, hiking, etc.), full day and half day sightseeing tours and culinary tours plus a special event evening private gallery viewing and classical concert tour at the Belvedere Palace in Vienna.

I also have special dietary needs and stateroom allergy issues and Crystal have always met them (and remembered them from my guest profile) throughout the ten years I have cruised with them. You can contact them directly via their onboard guest services dept and specify your special needs both in the public areas as well as for your stateroom...

Looking at the prices on the website they may appear to be high, but I just did a quick comparison calculation on all the complimentary excursions/transfers (14 in total) I have pre-reserved for my early September sailing and I estimated that they must add up to well over $1,000. I also have an amount of OBC from my travel agent and to be honest I have no clue what I'm going to do with it as my time onboard is already filled with all that is inclusive!!!

Edited by Jayayeff

You are right about the general demographic of river cruisers, but have met honeymooning couples in their 20's and 30's on board Uniworld.

As far as GF, the Uniworld chef will speak with you directly and identify the items on the menu that will be suitable. The GF rolls they bake are very good. On one cruise, the chef admitted to me the pasta he served to all passengers was GF. Said it was just easier that way. But not sure if all ships do that.

The sights you will see will be the same no matter which cruise line you finally go with, but the experiences provided by the cruise lines will be what make the experience special.

Enjoy!

RB

1) I follow a specific diet and both AMA and Uniworld accommodated me very well. I never felt like an afterthought and my meals were creatively prepared and tasty. AMA has gluten free as a regular part of their menu. Scenic OTOH was much as you described above. Almost no effort was made to accommodate my diet and I was stuck with broiled chicken breast for the duration at dinner and picking through the buffet selections otherwise to find foods I could eat.

2) We started river cruising before I turned 50 and are both very active. To date, AMA offered us the best mix of active excursions and diverse demographic, especially on their wine theme cruises, which we really enjoy. Uniworld was definitely quieter and lacked evening entertainment on our cruise, as did Scenic. While they did offer some excursions that were active, they were not nearly as plentiful as we have experienced on our AMA cruises.

Re the all inclusive versus not, we have done both and have no preference. While it was nice not to have a bill at the end of the cruise, our tab on AMA has always been very reasonable. They include most excursions in the price, plentiful wine at lunch and dinner and reasonable prices for laundry services and cocktails.

Edited by caviargal

I will echo what both Ritabob and Caviargirl have said about Uniworld. Though I don't personally have any dietary restrictions, I witnessed the head chef on both of our cruises personally meet with people each day and go over the menu, and their restrictions. On our recent Avalon cruise, the menus were labeled, but I don't know if the chef met with people, or not (and, there may not have been anyone with dietary restrictions.....)

I have done 3 river cruises now, and have not yet reached 50. You can be as active, or as lazy, as you want:-) I will say this, however, 12 nights would be too long for me, to be on a cruise. I would recommend maybe a 7 night cruise, with 4-5 nights on land. We just did this, and loved having the mix. Trains in Europe are very easy to navigate. We had "land" nights in Munich, Salzburg, and Vienna. As far as cabin choice, on the Danube, you WILL raft with other boats, so the "aquarium class" will be fine.

We were among the youngest on all 3 of our cruises, but didn't feel out of place on either of the Uniworld ones. Avalon was a little different-it was a much more "sedate" mix of passengers.....but, that can vary from week to week.

Robin

I would recommend maybe a 7 night cruise, with 4-5 nights on land. We just did this, and loved having the mix. Trains in Europe are very easy to navigate. We had "land" nights in Munich, Salzburg, and Vienna. As far as cabin choice, on the Danube, you WILL raft with other boats, so the "aquarium class" will be fine.

We were among the youngest on all 3 of our cruises, but didn't feel out of place on either of the Uniworld ones. Avalon was a little different-it was a much more "sedate" mix of passengers.....but, that can vary from week to week.

Robin

I agree with the mix of land and cruise. For us, that is ideal! Also agree with Robin's take on Avalon. That is not a line we would repeat.

We travel in the off season and have not the amount of rafting experienced in busier times. We book outside or French balcony for most of our cruises as that is personal preference. It not a true balcony then I would be ok with aquarium class personally, but DH does not feel the same.:cool:

I have done 3 river cruises now, and have not yet reached 50. You can be as active, or as lazy, as you want:-) I will say this, however, 12 nights would be too long for me, to be on a cruise. I would recommend maybe a 7 night cruise, with 4-5 nights on land. We just did this, and loved having the mix. Trains in Europe are very easy to navigate. We had "land" nights in Munich, Salzburg, and Vienna. As far as cabin choice, on the Danube, you WILL raft with other boats, so the "aquarium class" will be fine.

Robin

And I would say go for something longer than 7 days..... with the shorter cruises you just get into the routine and blam, its over :( however three weeks would be too long and my clothes would shrink!

RB

Robin

Part of the reason we're interested in seeing Europe on a cruise (vs. land tour), a big part actually, is my dietary restriction because it's much harder to deal with on land in some parts of Europe. We backpacked through Germany and Switzerland a couple years ago making use of their fantastic train systems but there was a lot of hunter/gatherer mode involved in finding a restaurant meal I could eat and I ended up buying a loaf of gluten free bread at a supermarket and eating a lot of sandwiches in the hotel. :rolleyes: Depending on the cruise we end up taking though we would consider staying a couple extra nights in Munich because there were some things we didn't have time to do the last time we were there and I at least know where to get good gluten free pizza and doner kebap salads :)

Part of the reason we're interested in seeing Europe on a cruise (vs. land tour), a big part actually, is my dietary restriction because it's much harder to deal with on land in some parts of Europe. We backpacked through Germany and Switzerland a couple years ago making use of their fantastic train systems but there was a lot of hunter/gatherer mode involved in finding a restaurant meal I could eat and I ended up buying a loaf of gluten free bread at a supermarket and eating a lot of sandwiches in the hotel. :rolleyes: Depending on the cruise we end up taking though we would consider staying a couple extra nights in Munich because there were some things we didn't have time to do the last time we were there and I at least know where to get good gluten free pizza and doner kebap salads :)

Having just returned a month ago, I will say that a lot more restaurants had gluten free options on their menus, even when it came to beer. I think many restaurants are becoming more conscious and aware of the need to be accommodating to people's dietary needs.

Robin

Agree with the advice above. We're still in our 40s and we don't feel out of place on Uniworld. It takes a little effort to find something super active to do...even the active excursions are hardly strenuous.

For us, this is the major reason to mix a 7-day cruise with land time on one end or the other (or both). Go all out on the land portions, and then relax on the cruise (relatively speaking...river cruises are not so sedate as you may think).

I can't comment on dietary restrictions though; none here. Though maybe I should start to restrict the quantity! ;) Pesky shrinking clothes here too!

I'm 33 and I've taken two Uniworld cruises. I was by far the youngest on both of them, but had a great time. Like JP and Chris, we often chose to be out and about on a walk, climbing up to a landmark, etc., during free time when many of the other passengers just lounged on the ship.

On our last trip, out of the 30 guests I think 10 of them had dietary restrictions, ranging from the standard vegetarian or pescetarian or no pork to no garlic and gluten-free. They always had high-quality meals prepared for them that were as good or better than the standard options.

Once again I feel I have to put in a plug for the "forgotten" all-inclusive line Tauck. I have no dietary problems but a lady we cruised with did and the Chef went out of his way to ensure she had the best of her requirements. My daughter-in-law is a Celiac and I know just how hard it is to get gluten free food on the run.

As for a classical concert Tauck provide a great night out in Vienna with one of the very best shows I have ever seen. The night at the Palace was the highlight of our cruise. As an Australian I really like Tauck's all-inclusive price with everything covered.

I hope you find the cruise you are looking for but be aware that once you've cruised on the rivers you will be hooked.

Hamlette,

I have been on 5 cruises with Uniworld and I can not tell you how good they are with a gluten-free diet!!! On a Paris cruise, they made me a croque monsieur on gluten-free bread and it was great. It would be hard to remember all the special food the Uniworld chefs prepared for me. They have bread for me at every meal. Number 6 and 7 are later this year.

Second seating

Hamlette,

I have been on 5 cruises with Uniworld and I can not tell you how good they are with a gluten-free diet!!! On a Paris cruise, they made me a croque monsieur on gluten-free bread and it was great. It would be hard to remember all the special food the Uniworld chefs prepared for me. They have bread for me at every meal. Number 6 and 7 are later this year.

Second seating

High praise, indeed! Enjoy #6 and 7 :)

We are doing our first river cruise this July and one of the reasons we choose Tauck was due to its musical experiences in Prague, Vienna and Budapest. We are going with my mother and the number one thing on her bucket list was to experience Vienna and a musical concert.

My husband and I are in our early 50s, so I think that we will probably be youngest people on board (that is OK with us).

We don't have any dietary restrictions but Tauck asked us if we did, so they must accommodates those passengers that do.

If you like classical music then you might want to look at the Blue Danube trip with Tauck. It includes a “tour and dinner at 16th-century Lobkowicz Palace at Prague Castle, an evening of classical cultural treasures – Music and Art.” In Vienna it includes “a private Imperial Evening in a Viennese palace. Welcome cocktails and dinner precede an unforgettable evening of musical performance celebrating the legacy of Mozart.”

I can’t wait for our trip and will be doing a post trip write up when I get back.

We are doing our first river cruise this July and one of the reasons we choose Tauck was due to its musical experiences in Prague, Vienna and Budapest. We are going with my mother and the number one thing on her bucket list was to experience Vienna and a musical concert.

My husband and I are in our early 50s, so I think that we will probably be youngest people on board (that is OK with us).

We don't have any dietary restrictions but Tauck asked us if we did, so they must accommodates those passengers that do.

If you like classical music then you might want to look at the Blue Danube trip with Tauck. It includes a “tour and dinner at 16th-century Lobkowicz Palace at Prague Castle, an evening of classical cultural treasures – Music and Art.” In Vienna it includes “a private Imperial Evening in a Viennese palace. Welcome cocktails and dinner precede an unforgettable evening of musical performance celebrating the legacy of Mozart.”

I can’t wait for our trip and will be doing a post trip write up when I get back.

That sounds amazing. I know my husband in particular would love that trip, he's a real classical music buff. It sounds like we would probably be happy with either Tauck or Uniworld.