Cruising out of Los Angeles...need help!

kskelley40

We stayed at the Best Western Plus in San Pedro and had a quiet and relaxing stay. It came with free breakfast as well. They have a shuttle that runs as well to the cruise terminal.

We flew into LAX in December for our cruise, and it was easy enough Ubering our to the hotel in San Pedro.

OP, Long Beach is much closer and much less hectic than LAX. I think LAX is one of the worst airports in the country, but Long Beach also has a min number of airlines that fly in and out, so you might have even more than one connection to make. That might lean you toward LAX. As for hotels I would look at Embassy Suites near LAX or Crown Plaza in San Pedro. We have done both. Of course I also like Hilton in San Pedro. If you choose to go with NCLs transfers you will probably be better off staying at Embassy suites. Then going back to LAX the day of the cruise and using NCL's shuttle. Embassy suites is only a couple of minutes from LAX and has free shuttle service back and forth.

Have a great cruise.

That's a good idea. I think we will do that. Take a shuttle to the hotel and then back to the airport and grab the NCL shuttle.

I am still looking at flights to Long Beach though....it is not too bad so far since it is a one way trip - we fly home from Miami.

We stayed at the Best Western Plus in San Pedro and had a quiet and relaxing stay. It came with free breakfast as well. They have a shuttle that runs as well to the cruise terminal.

We flew into LAX in December for our cruise, and it was easy enough Ubering our to the hotel in San Pedro.

Do you remember how much it was for the UBER to San Pedro from LAX?

Other airports are Long Beach and Santa Ana Orange County (San Diego a distant third option)

Long Beach airport is a short cab ride to the pier.

Santa Ana Orange County is about a half hour ride (traffic permitting) to the pier.

I agree with Long Beach first, LAX second choice, and Santa Ana Orange County as a third choice based on distance from the port. Possibly Hollywood Burbank (BUR) that is about 40 miles away from the port. Or Ontario International that is 60 miles away. But San Diego? It's almost 120 miles away.

That's a good idea. I think we will do that. Take a shuttle to the hotel and then back to the airport and grab the NCL shuttle.

I am still looking at flights to Long Beach though....it is not too bad so far since it is a one way trip - we fly home from Miami.

I am planning to take the shuttle from the hotel to the ship in San Pedro. For me as a solo passenger it is much easier to just go from the hotel. When I arrive there will either be someone from shuttle company in the lobby waiting to check you in or you receive instructions when you check in for how the shuttle system the next morning will work. Usually someone from the shuttle company will come to the hotel on the morning of embarkation to make sure things run smoothly. A bus pulls up in front of the hotel, you load and off you go.

I have got back to LAX several times when a shuttle from the hotel was not available. Because the shuttle will pick you from the baggage claim area (in my case Delta), you have to go there, find the person from the shuttle company and check in. Then wait for the shuttle. Sometimes you might have to walk a bit just to board the bus and then board.

For me it is just simpler to go from the hotel.

Not everyone's cup of tea or whatever drink knocks your socks off -

my San Diego cousin frequently rents a car one-way to solve the transportation issue.

Takes a bit of planning and coordination with the rent a car company.

Side note: works best with someone savvy about southern California roads.

Car rentals like this arrangement as it repositions cars for them instead of deadheading

non revenue movements.

So in this case - Fly to San Diego rent the car and drop in the Long Beach area.

Could just as well do this on the return.

And at any airport city in the area - - -

San Diego may not have the bargain fares of the Los Angeles airport but the flight/destination

schedule may be to your advantage if Los Angeles is booked with little or no other recourse.

Don't be cooped up inside that box - Shirley if Phineas Fogg can go around the world in 80

days you can catch that dream cruise - planes trains automobiles cabs taxis shuttles buses limos etc.

anything to get me to that cruise on time !

• 2 weeks later...

The Best Western Plus in San Pedro is a good hotel. I have stayed there twice. They have free breakfast and a shuttle service to the port. Just make sure when you check in that you reserve your shuttle time before you head up to your room. They fill up fast.

Candi

The Best Western Plus in San Pedro is a good hotel. I have stayed there twice. They have free breakfast and a shuttle service to the port. Just make sure when you check in that you reserve your shuttle time before you head up to your room. They fill up fast.

Candi

Already made our reservation for the Best Western in San Pedro. Will either do the shuttle or just use UBER from the hotel.

Waiting to book our flight reservation. We are still about 190 days out and I read somewhere that the best rates for flights are about 100 days out. Really wanting to go into Long Beach but will probably end up doing LAX for a non-stop flight.

We stayed at the Crown Plaza in San Pedro. It's a couple of blocks from the Port. They have a free shuttle to the port.

One of our 3 times leaving out of San Pedro we did the same. It was fine, but regardless there still is the cost from LAX or Long Beach to San Pedro.

Already made our reservation for the Best Western in San Pedro. Will either do the shuttle or just use UBER from the hotel.

Waiting to book our flight reservation. We are still about 190 days out and I read somewhere that the best rates for flights are about 100 days out. Really wanting to go into Long Beach but will probably end up doing LAX for a non-stop flight.

I see you are in Georgia. We are flying from ATL and found there are no direct flights to Long Beach. We booked our flights nonstop to LAX and will either book a Limo (two couples) for about $100.00 including tip, or a cab for about $70.00 plus tip. If you have not booked your Miami to home, keep in mind that it is Thanksgiving week.

Sent from my iPad using Forums