Any experiences to share about a craft-themed cruise?

oddsshop

I am going to be leading a jewelry-making themed cruise next year. 5 nights, going to Cozumel and Key West. Some stringing, wire working and bead weaving. Some discussion seminars about buying gemstones; history of central american jewelry. Some mixers. Some suggested shopping itineraries for both ports.

I was wondering if any of you had been on a craft-themed cruise, beading, jewelry making, other craft, and what you felt worked well and what you felt needed improvement.

Feedback would be very helpful. I'd like to make this a great experience for everyone.

I would love to do a craft themed cruise, but had no idea they existed! If I were going, I would like to have some choices in what activities to do (say, out of 8 workshops offered, each person can choose up to 6), a variety in times of day they're offered so that I can take advantage of other onboard activities, and maybe some semi-organized opportunities for the crafters to have social time together - maybe a gathering for drinks, or an excursion off the ship to a craft workshop or something. Good luck! I hope this becomes a "thing" and lots more are offered!

I am going to be leading a jewelry-making themed cruise next year. .

I'm not sure I understand the situation. Is this a whole ship charter for this theme cruise, or is it a large group booking sponsored by some group or company? It sounds like this is something you haven't had experience with before - I hope you've been working with the activities coordinator on board to arrange all of the logistics well ahead. As well as the various classes to be offered, don't forget that the socializing aspect can be just as important- no different than similar events on land.

I will make an educated guess that the OP is talking about a Celebrity Infinity cruise (since they have several 5 day cruises that go to Key West and Cozumel). My 2nd guess is that its something organized by a specific travel/cruise agency.....not the cruise line. That itinerary has 2 sea days which would lend themselves to activities such as crafts. We once had dinner with a craft expert that actually ran some official activities on cruises (I thought most of the lines had stopped doing that kind of thing). She actually got a free cruise, but the down side was that she had to bring all of her own materials (for her classes) on the cruise.

Hank

I did a scrap booking cruise on RCI several years ago. We had a dedicated conference room; every participant had a six foot table. We had classes/challenges on sea day mornings and the room was available to us at any time during the cruise. It was arranged by a scrap booking group in Florida who hired a consultant to run the sessions and used a travel agent to arrange everything on the ship. I thoroughly enjoyed the sessions, learned a lot!