Escape-Crowds

TUCSON9727

Parts of the ship are crowded. Parts are usually empty.

It's possible to avoid the crowds but if you are near the pool on a sea day.....shoulder to shoulder people in or out of the pool.

The Waterfront is usually quiet during the day. If there are loud people there, walk around the Waterfront until you find a quiet spot and relax.

The pool (as noted) was packed on sea days as were some of the water features. H20Spice was busy mid-day but other than that loungers were plentiful. Unless an event was going on, other locations were fairly empty unless the weather turned.

I don't like crowds. And the only place on the Escape I felt was crowded was the pool area. I avoided it like the plague lol. The buffet can get a bit busy but at typical times. Other than that, I thought people were dispersed pretty well all over the ship.

I was on the Spirit last month and that ship had half the people that the Escape does and only 1/3 of the pools. There seem to be a lot of hot tubs and such around. I’m excited to relax in the thermal spa for quiet and the pool for some cocktails and activity. I’m wondering what the docking process will be with so many people.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

As stated pool area on sea days is packed. Go up a couple of decks and loungers are available.

I think it's Deck 19 that has hot tubs and a bar, right outside Vibe Area!

Waterfront during the days isn't crowded at all, we would have spent more time there if we hadn't had Vibe passes.

Escape was pretty crowded everywhere the first day. But the masses were for the most part happy & ready for a week of fun & relaxation. Day two except for the pool area, the crowds dispersed with most people fanning out throughout the ship. We met a lot of nice people that were part of the crowds in various places on the ship. I just have to ask, if you don't like being around a lot of people, why would you choose a cruise ship with close to 4,000 people for your vacation?

Going on the Escape April 7th. Looks like it might be sold out. How bad are the crowds?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you want to avoid the crowds get a Vibe pass.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXeroHJikWI&t=14s

I just have to ask, if you don't like being around a lot of people, why would you choose a cruise ship with close to 4,000 people for your vacation?

I can't speak for OP, but I also dislike crowds and will be sailing on the Escape. For me, a large ship is appealing despite the crowds. I like having options for things to do, I love being able to take advantage of the water slides, I like the range of dining options. Besides that, there's the appeal of the itinerary, the thermal suite, and the studio cabins. With a little research (like OP is doing), even someone who dislikes crowds can have a good time on a mega-ship. I know I did last fall!

I can't speak for OP, but I also dislike crowds and will be sailing on the Escape. For me, a large ship is appealing despite the crowds. I like having options for things to do, I love being able to take advantage of the water slides, I like the range of dining options. Besides that, there's the appeal of the itinerary, the thermal suite, and the studio cabins. With a little research (like OP is doing), even someone who dislikes crowds can have a good time on a mega-ship. I know I did last fall!

I dislike crowds as well and sailed Breakaway in March, booked Escape for next May.

We just found our way around the crowds. Room near the staircase so we mostly avoid elevators, upper sundecks, earlier dining, early or late on/off the ship, got to shows early to get seats, etc. Not a problem on BA and I don't anticipate it to be on Escape.

I dislike crowds as well and sailed Breakaway in March, booked Escape for next May.

We just found our way around the crowds. Room near the staircase so we mostly avoid elevators, upper sundecks, earlier dining, early or late on/off the ship, got to shows early to get seats, etc. Not a problem on BA and I don't anticipate it to be on Escape.

Exactly! As long as you understand what you're getting into and you're a little familiar with the ship in advance, you can work around it. I found The Waterfront on the Breakaway to be lovely. And perhaps oddly, the buffet area at off hours was really nice. I found a table by a window and was able to write and watch the ocean for a good hour or so without feeling crowded at all.

I feel like the best advice I could give anyone regarding NCL is to do your research in advance. If I hadn't, I'd have been overwhelmed by the ship.

We felt Escape was more crowded than we would have liked. It felt way more crowded than Getaway, and it was hard to get into any specialty restaurants unless you like to eat really late if you hadn't booked them before you got onboard. The ship was gorgeous and the waterslides and ropes course were great, but the pool was always crowded. It was hard to get into a hot tub unless it was later at night or in port while everyone was off the ship. I don't think we'd sail the Escape again unless it was in the Haven or an off peak not full sailing. Your experience may differ.

I have only cruised once and it was a full sailing, but it had 1 pool and 4 hot tubs for 2k people. That was really busy. It seems that the Escape has double the people but more than double the water activities. This is what I keep telling myself at least! Ha! We are sailing at a peak time. Week before Easter because I get a few days off. I guess I wondering if anyone has ever been on a cruise (NCL or similar) without crowds?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were just on last week's Escape Western Caribbean sailing, fully booked. Echo comments above, pool can get crowded, buffet was a bit loony at breakfast and lunch on some port days when folks came back to eat (e.g. Harvest Caye). Atrium was busy when entertainment was happening (terrible layout, not a lot of room to move or sit, but worth it for the fun!).

Oh, and avoid the shops during the $10 sale -- total madness! :)