Gem

123veranda

I was on the gem. This was after ncl made the big changes in the menu. We loved the food. So much flavour compared to the older menu. However I am def not a fan leaving from New York. We have done it twice now and we have now decided that it is not for us. The gem gets fantastic reviews and there are a huge amount of loyal followers. We also decided on this cruise we like bigger ships. This was just too small for us. Kids camp - our kids hated it and refused to go. However it was a very busy and there was lots of kids sit maybe a part of the problem. Over all it was a nice cruise but we know more and more what we like. You will enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Been on the Gem 3 times this past 10 months alone! Also did the Gem a few times prior to that. We really enjoy the convenience of leaving from NYC and it is a beautiful sail away! Our last Gem cruise was Jan 3 -13, 2018 and we very much enjoyed all the staff on the ship. The latest CD is Lorena, and she kept us busy with many staff run functions...games shows, dance classes, special themed party nights (previously, Gem only had White Hot Party theme) as well as the Gem's entertainment (dancers/singers) having a different show every night. There were 2 stand up comedians, an aerialist act, a magician and a hypnotist.

Cannot imagine anyone going hungry on a cruise ship, but I saw the complaint a few posts back, I guess it could happen? but unlikely. Morning breakfast is served in the MDR until 10 am (I think it shortens to 9:30 on port days) Buffet until at least then as well. Great outdoors, I believe still had breakfast until 11 and you can have breakfast, lunch, dinner or late night snacks at O'Sheehans, which is open 24 hours. Topsiders, by pool also served meals almost all day, along with later night snacks and there was an outdoor BBQ served weather permitting each day on the pool deck. The Orchid also serves an Asian menu. All of these venues are free.

If you wish to avoid crowded buffet area at breakfast/lunch, get your food and enjoy the overflow area of LaCucina or Great Outdoors during those times.

Sometimes the pool deck can seem very crowded, but if you want a nice lounge spot, without the view of the pool, head to deck 13 forward and enjoy the sundeck there with sweeping views of the ocean. It is rarely as crowded as the pool area. We also enjoy that you can walk around the ship outside on deck 7 as well as deck 12 &13 so you can feel that connection to the sea.

We did enjoy the a la carte restaurants on the ship as well, we had the dining plan. We enjoyed them very much as well.

I'm sure you will find many things about the Gem you will enjoy. And your friend should too! As a new cruiser, make sure she brings some Ginger Tablets, Bonine or other form of sea sickness remedy, as sea sickness will damper anyone's good time! :D

10 am is absolutely perfect time to arrive at NY Pier. You will spend less time getting thru the TSA check in and it will be easier to find an empty seat to wait until boarding (usually starts around 11:30 am) along with the added bonus of a lower boarding number for arriving early!

Enjoy exploring the ship since you will have most of the day before sail away. The crew tries to steer everyone toward the buffet upon boarding. However, if you prefer a slower pace, the MDR is open and serving a relaxing meal while you wait for your stateroom to be ready. Bring some items in your carry on so you may enjoy the ship until your luggage arrives (ie, bathing suit for hot tub or pool, etc)

Grab a ship map if you are new to the Gem, in atrium on deck 7 when you board. Take some photos in front of the balloon arch, and go explore each deck and familiarize yourself with the layout...be prepared for some strange dead ends and turn arounds on deck 6/7 between Grand Pacific MDR and Magenta dining room. Walk around outside decks on 7, 12 and 13 and head to Bali Hai near pool @ deck 13 or Great Outdoors @ aft on deck 12 for some great cocktails. By the time they announce muster drill, you've already begun your vacation!!!

Enjoy :cool::cool:

We are sailing out of NYC on 28th July on Gem for my good lady's special birthday. This will be our second cruise, the previous one was on MSC Musica, sailing out of Venice. We totally loved the cruise experience and we are very looking forward to this one. We have two girls who will be 14 & 16 so hopefully plenty to keep them occupied?

We are sailing out of NYC on 28th July on Gem for my good lady's special birthday. This will be our second cruise, the previous one was on MSC Musica, sailing out of Venice. We totally loved the cruise experience and we are very looking forward to this one. We have two girls who will be 14 & 16 so hopefully plenty to keep them occupied?

Make sure they go to entourage the first night. My kids LOVE NCL as teens. I had 14 and 16 year old girls on our last Gem cruise in May. Saw them for breakfast, dinner, and usually a show, plus in port. They are bff’s at home, but both found their own friend group. We did pass by them a lot, in the hot tubs, pool, and buffet.

Just booked Gem for June. No seeing much posed about her. Making me nervous. This will be my 1st time on NCL. Usually do RC. Anybody been her recently? Would love hear the good & bad. thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Make sure you join your roll call for this cruise. You would then be able to then sign up for the meet and greet as well as to see what other cruisers are doing or planning for the cruise.

For me, NCL Gem is perfect in term of a cruise ship size. It is not too big like NCL Breakaway or too small.

You can definitely read about past reviews of the NCL Gem to get an idea. However, one should not focus or to be concern about some particular reviews that might be low. Your cruise might not be going to the same destination that a poster posted on. Even if its going to the same place, your experience would be different.

On the Gem, you should visit the Great Outdoors and for breakfast, you should go to La Cucina whenever they offer it.

More room & space and you can also visit the Great Outdoors to quickly grab a drink or some breakfast items rather than walk all the way back to the buffet area for drink.

Just booked Gem for June. No seeing much posed about her. Making me nervous. This will be my 1st time on NCL. Usually do RC. Anybody been her recently? Would love hear the good & bad. thanks

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We were on the Gem last November. Everything, including the staff, were great. It is our favorite ship

Thanks for all of the great reviews and advice! My DH and I are going on our first cruise in April on Gem to Florida and the Bahamas - 37 days left! We are so excited! Two questions:

1. We aren't sure if we will go to any of the specialty restaurants or not. Guess it depends how happy we are with the complimentary options, which all look good to me! Plus we like to save money when possible. But Cagneys and La Cucina both look interesting to us. If we do go to a specialty restaurant, is pre-purchasing a meal package a "must?" What are the a la cart prices like, if we just go for one night? I noticed that the pre-purchased package of 2 meals ends up being $35 per person, per meal - would we end up spending that much or more if we just go and pay a la cart?

2. Being our first cruise, I'm new to the idea of a dress code on vacation. DH and I are usually pretty casual on vacation - jean shorts, t-shirts and flip flops are our go-to's. I like getting dressed up a little bit, DH not so much, so this will be an adjustment for him especially. Am I correct in saying the only time our "usual" clothing wouldn't be appropriate is for dining in the main dining room or specialty restaurants? Just want to make sure we are packing the right amount of each "type" of clothing, especially since we're doing a 7 night cruise.

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for all of the great reviews and advice! My DH and I are going on our first cruise in April on Gem to Florida and the Bahamas - 37 days left! We are so excited! Two questions:

1. We aren't sure if we will go to any of the specialty restaurants or not. Guess it depends how happy we are with the complimentary options, which all look good to me! Plus we like to save money when possible. But Cagneys and La Cucina both look interesting to us. If we do go to a specialty restaurant, is pre-purchasing a meal package a "must?" What are the a la cart prices like, if we just go for one night? I noticed that the pre-purchased package of 2 meals ends up being $35 per person, per meal - would we end up spending that much or more if we just go and pay a la cart?

2. Being our first cruise, I'm new to the idea of a dress code on vacation. DH and I are usually pretty casual on vacation - jean shorts, t-shirts and flip flops are our go-to's. I like getting dressed up a little bit, DH not so much, so this will be an adjustment for him especially. Am I correct in saying the only time our "usual" clothing wouldn't be appropriate is for dining in the main dining room or specialty restaurants? Just want to make sure we are packing the right amount of each "type" of clothing, especially since we're doing a 7 night cruise.

Thanks in advance!

The Orchid Garden (Chinese food) is also free.

If you are only going one or two nights (lowest package now is 2 nights) I'd just go ala carte. Depending how much you eat, you could obviously spend more or less than $35. Generally speaking though, you'd be right around that figure.

The Orchid Garden (Chinese food) is also free.

If you are only going one or two nights (lowest package now is 2 nights) I'd just go ala carte. Depending how much you eat, you could obviously spend more or less than $35. Generally speaking though, you'd be right around that figure.

That's true! I think we will just go ala carte, that way we aren't tied down to anything - and maybe one of us would end up spending less than $35, depending on the type of food. DH really likes steak and I really like Italian, so the person who likes each restaurant less could just get a smaller meal (less for me at Cagney's, and less for him at La Cucina). Thank you!

We just got back from an 10 day carribian cruise on the Gem and hated it, not so much ship but the food was lousy and the so was the service, they make u pay for tips upfront and u dont have a choice to pay cash it is already taken out. They also play this game called button button who's got the button except they do it with the food. If u r a late riser the buffet closes at 10.00am same with lunch and dinner and then u have to find where the put the left overs either on the aft deck or midships. I believe the reason for this is they want to pay extra for the pay per view restraunts. Also the entertainment was below our standards the best entertainer was Sean a one man band. We loved the cabin and steward was great but the rest of the crew didnt care because they knew they were going to get tipped. We will never do another NCL cruise

They list every food venue with type of service and hours in the Dailies. It is not a game of hide and seek, apples to apples, nor find the button.

Your wife must be a saint. Bless her heart!:halo:

We were on the NE/Canada route. If there was one thing that I would think could use improvement it would be the on ship customs process when you approach the first port in the US after leaving Canada

Was there still customs/immigration upon returning to NYC?

Sailing on NCL Gem Canada June 2 2018

If its anything similar to the Pearl (sister ship )

its great

Mid size ships are reminders of true ocean going ships not floating hotels

Been on NCL 5 times last 6 years Food has been Good on all

Escape -2017

Getaway -2016

Pearl *2015

Sky -2014 2013.2012

Epic -2014

A cruise is what you make of it.

Enjoy everything offered if it is not to your liking look at the "dailie of the day " for next activity

Have a Great Time

From relaxing to dining to sightseeing to entertainment what else is there??

We have sailed the Gem twice. Very nice ship, one cruise was 10 day in Feb 2008 out of New York, the other was 2011 out of New York to Caribbean. Both times shows were excellent and crew was great.

Is the Gem heading south into storm tonight?

Just got off the Gem this morning.

It appeared that the crew was preparing to sail tonight.

The last 3 days of cruising was pretty rough...

She's on her way, passed Lady Liberty down the Hudson, out to sea soon ... marine forecast not looking as bad as Sunday when the Breakaway sailed out late also. Captain likely plot a course/heading to hug along the coast, where seas are less choppy, 10' to 15', possibly 20' + further away from land - wind less of a factor. Nothing pushing near the limits of the Gem class ships - and she has faster speed to make a good run for the Carib.

Warm-up drills for a predicted, active 2018 hurricane season from early forecast models. Active CC regulars onboard the Gem, could possibly hear from live updates of any "developments".

On an off-topic, side note, BA got into PC later than scheduled this afternoon, around 2:30 PM (that's 90 minutes late) - that's a wasted stop for anyone even considering the theme parks or even KSC, probably cancelled shorex tours. Gem will be switching to the Bahamas run in April

She's on her way, passed Lady Liberty down the Hudson, out to sea soon ... marine forecast not looking as bad as Sunday when the Breakaway sailed out late also. Captain likely plot a course/heading to hug along the coast, where seas are less choppy, 10' to 15', possibly 20' + further away from land - wind less of a factor. Nothing pushing near the limits of the Gem class ships - and she has faster speed to make a good run for the Carib.

Warm-up drills for a predicted, active 2018 hurricane season from early forecast models. Active CC regulars onboard the Gem, could possibly hear from live updates of any "developments".

On an off-topic, side note, BA got into PC later than scheduled this afternoon, around 2:30 PM (that's 90 minutes late) - that's a wasted stop for anyone even considering the theme parks or even KSC, probably cancelled shorex tours. Gem will be switching to the Bahamas run in April

Gem is having a bumpy ride, but they will be thru it by this evening.