Please tell me no-one has experienced unwanted 'visitors' in their bed?

Caravancruisers

OK, so this has got me thinking now. I am in my fifties and have never encountered Bed Bugs anywhere. I did a CC search and find many complaints of bed bugs on lots of different cruise ships, including some photographic evidence. The common theme seems to be however, that the overwhelming majority of complainants are in fact Americans. Therefore I must ask the question, are bed bugs racist?

I do accept that these boards are frequented by many more from the US than anywhere else, but of the posts that I quickly scanned, there didn't appear to be any Brits affected by these horrible little creatures.

I'm sure someone will come back now with hundreds of posts that I have missed. :confused:

I'll add that my friend that contracted the bed bugs on QV is in fact European and lives in Europe. I believe the cruise she took on QV originated out of Southampton.

Bed bugs in the US were pretty much eradicated until fairly recently. They have made a comeback, most likely being brought in from overseas. One of the downfalls of a global economy and a highly mobile population.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

OK, so this has got me thinking now. I am in my fifties and have never encountered Bed Bugs anywhere. I did a CC search and find many complaints of bed bugs on lots of different cruise ships, including some photographic evidence. The common theme seems to be however, that the overwhelming majority of complainants are in fact Americans. Therefore I must ask the question, are bed bugs racist?

I do accept that these boards are frequented by many more from the US than anywhere else, but of the posts that I quickly scanned, there didn't appear to be any Brits affected by these horrible little creatures.

I'm sure someone will come back now with hundreds of posts that I have missed. :confused:

On this thread, see Post #5 (Brit affected) and post #27 (European affected). If you google "Bed bugs in Britain", you will find further evidence that Brits are indeed affected by bed bugs, as are many people around the world, unfortunately.

On this thread, see Post #5 (Brit affected) and post #27 (European affected). If you google "Bed bugs in Britain", you will find further evidence that Brits are indeed affected by bed bugs, as are many people around the world, unfortunately.
Hi Salacia,

Bed bugs have been with us since humans invented beds. Many of them can only survive long-term by feeding on our blood (but will live briefly on our pets if needed). They can survive months without feeding (on us :eek: ). Apparently they had all but died out in the western world by 1940, but since then, with the help of our modern living styles (constant temperature homes via central heating or air-conditioning), air travel, and a resistance to pesticides, they've thrived :eek: ! About the last place on earth still free of them was the southern tip of South America, so I understand. But now, they are almost everywhere, due in large part, to our lifestyles. Only extreme and prolonged cold can kill them (and their eggs) so I'm told. Nasty little bitters!

Sweet dreams everyone and "don't let the bed bugs bite" :D .

There you go see, post #5, they had never encountered such things ever, until they stepped onto a Princess ship. Aren't they the American version of P&O?

Salacia, don't take me too seriously, my comments are very much tongue in cheek.

I know everyone can be affected. As someone has already pointed out, it's a bit cold here for them to be a major problem. I really don't want to contemplate checking for the blighters everywhere I go though.

There you go see, post #5, they had never encountered such things ever, until they stepped onto a Princess ship. Aren't they the American version of P&O?

Salacia, don't take me too seriously, my comments are very much tongue in cheek.

I know everyone can be affected. As someone has already pointed out, it's a bit cold here for them to be a major problem. I really don't want to contemplate checking for the blighters everywhere I go though.

It's not the cold in Scotland that keeps the bed bugs under control, it's the wool. Moths love wool and they eat up the bed bugs. Just to add that the worst bug infestation in NY happens in some of the most expensive real estate - for example, Trump Towers. It has been reported that there is a serious bug infestation there (some kind of Russian bug), but no doubt that is also FAKE NEWS.

Like it or not, best to check for biters where ever you go. SAD.:')

[Laughing] Salacia

Edited by Salacia

Hi Salacia,

Bed bugs have been with us since humans invented beds. Many of them can only survive long-term by feeding on our blood (but will live briefly on our pets if needed). They can survive months without feeding (on us :eek: ). Apparently they had all but died out in the western world by 1940, but since then, with the help of our modern living styles (constant temperature homes via central heating or air-conditioning), air travel, and a resistance to pesticides, they've thrived :eek: ! About the last place on earth still free of them was the southern tip of South America, so I understand. But now, they are almost everywhere, due in large part, to our lifestyles. Only extreme and prolonged cold can kill them (and their eggs) so I'm told. Nasty little bitters!

Sweet dreams everyone and "don't let the bed bugs bite" :D .

Hi Pepper. Thanks very much for that info. One of the things I like best about this forum is learning new things on a wide variety of topics. The best thing is the nice people one meets :)

Regards,

Salacia

Hi Pepper. Thanks very much for that info. One of the things I like best about this forum is learning new things on a wide variety of topics. The best thing is the nice people one meets :)

Regards,

Salacia

Salacia,

I so agree with you. I've met some of the nicest people I've ever encountered in my life on board Cunard's ships, esp, it seems to me, in QM2's Commodore Club :) .

Best wishes,

Yeh, but the difference is they don't bite us so we don't know they're there.

When a Yank comes along though.....

David.

• 2 months later...

Well, I was on the Queen Victoria only last week. Cabin 6195. this cabin definitely has bed bugs and I have numerous bites to show for it. I complained twice to the room steward and at the main desk before we left the ship. I suggested that they burn the mattress. Since coming back home I am scared to take my suitcases upstairs in case any of the little blighters have survived my extermination programme, ie being sprayed with the bed bug spray that I bought as soon as we got back. I would be very interested to know whether Cunard destroyed the mattress or if the unfortunate subsequent guests have had the same problem.

Well, I was on the Queen Victoria only last week. Cabin 6195. this cabin definitely has bed bugs and I have numerous bites to show for it. I complained twice to the room steward and at the main desk before we left the ship. I suggested that they burn the mattress. Since coming back home I am scared to take my suitcases upstairs in case any of the little blighters have survived my extermination programme, ie being sprayed with the bed bug spray that I bought as soon as we got back. I would be very interested to know whether Cunard destroyed the mattress or if the unfortunate subsequent guests have had the same problem.

So you don't think your bites have anything to do with your (port intensive) visits ashore. You complained twice :confused: yet you were content to sleep in the bed for the remainder of your cruise.

I doubt very much it had anything to do with the ships mattress on Cunard Line.

So you don't think your bites have anything to do with your (port intensive) visits ashore. You complained twice :confused: yet you were content to sleep in the bed for the remainder of your cruise.

I doubt very much it had anything to do with the ships mattress on Cunard Line.

Thank you for expressing what crossed my mind as I read recent posts on this thread.

I have seen TV commercials here in the USA that a certain bed bug exterminator uses a certain dog breed, I think that the dog breed is a beagle, is used because the dog is trained to sniff out where the bed bugs may be hiding and then the room is fumigated with a cold chemical to kill the bed bugs. Maybe the time has come for Cunard and the other cruise lines to have a resident bed bug sniffing dog and bed bug exterminator aboard their ships. Regards,Jerry

I sometimes become a pedantic skeptic. In that mode, let me assure you that, considering that the critters are introduced by (often unaware) guests, so by the simple odds, given the millions of passengers aboard, there have been incidents. None that I've heard of. Nor any that are likely to be noted here. But even with impeccable care, bedbugs can be introduced.

Is there zero risk? Of course not. I'd place the risk somewhere between the ship being attacked by a giant squid and your needing the Heimlich maneuver after choking on a fish bone.

- Mark

Apparently you never rode the 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea ride