The Haven - On other lines

Chris Bz

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out if there are other Lines out there that have a separate area on the ship that is nicer/less crowded like NCL Haven rooms? The Haven is almost like a boutique hotel located on the top deck front of certain ships. It requires a key card to get into that part of the boat. It has it's own nice restaurant, bar, pool/hot tubs/sauna etc. And has 2-BR suites for a family. I've stayed in the Haven several times and really love it...mainly because I don't like crowds and like to sit peacefully and read by the pool.

I travel with Teens, so I do like the bigger/fun Ships (rather than the high end luxury cruisers out there).

If anyone has stayed in something like this, I'd love some input.

Thanks,

Chris

Edited by Chris Bz

Cunard has their own approach to a "class" system which approximates NCL's - but it really just applies to cabins and separate dining rooms. NCL has a distinct approach with distinct classes: the run of the mill passengers experience what is probably the smallest space/passenger ratio at sea, while those willing to pay premium prices enjoy premium dining as well as exclusive spaces.

Royal Caribbean has a couple lounges on Oasis class ships for the passengers staying in the top level suites, and their higher tiered frequent cruisers, but nothing to the extent that NCL has in regards to private pool areas and dining.

Cunard has separate Grill Lounges in addition to the Grill restaurants. On Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth there is Tuscan styled outside grill reserved for Grill passengers.

MSC - Yacht Club is the most similar NCL's Haven. From everything I've read the Yacht Club on MSC is extremely luxurious.

Royal Caribbean provides separate lounges for suite guest, private sun decks on some ships like Anthem of the seas.

Most cruise lines provide some sort of private lounge for suite guests and in some cases butlers as well on Celebrity and Cunard.

Jonathan

No one does "suite perks" like NCL... You won't find the same "haven" experience on any line but NCL

That is NCL's approach: bare bones for the majority of passengers, with minimal common areas and charges for many items; and very comfortable space for the top tier. It will be interesting to see if their approach is widely copied by other lines trying to enhance bottom line by adding special charges to the tempting low fares used to attract customers.

To some degree, all lines have started to reverse the trend away from the rigid class structure which existed on liners for the first 2/3rds of the 20th century

My own view is that NCL has taken it too far - essentially pricing themselves on a par with luxury lines for people who want a quality experience - but basically failing to deliver.

My own view is that NCL has taken it too far - essentially pricing themselves on a par with luxury lines for people who want a quality experience - but basically failing to deliver.

That's exactly how I feel. Booking such a nice suite on an otherwise minimalist ship is such an oxymoron to me. If I'm made to feel like I don't want to leave my own little compound, that tells me I'm on the wrong ship.