Sailing Divina out of Miami 9/9 - Getting Nervous

Grandmimie

Even if it isn't a direct hit getting a little nervous by the new models. Looks like it going to be pretty close to Miami and pretty close to us boarding.

Wondering about flights... we fly in on the 9th too. We could drive and arrive early but wondering if the Divina will even make it back to port on time if the waters ruff. Or if we will possibly be canceled [emoji30]. Hate to drive that far only to be cancelled. Wondering when they will make the call? I know it's to soon today but would like enough notice to change travel plans if needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It is impossible to tell! Every storm is different. And you guys have a double quandary -- worrying about your flight and your cruise.

In 2004 when Charlie came through, we were delayed sailing on a Princess ship out of Miami by three days, but since we just drove the 4+ hours down, it wasn't a terrible thing.

My first instinct would be to suggest you drive down and stop in central Florida the day before so you are staged to drive the final leg, but we're up in the air here too!

So sorry -- just keep watching the weather!

The 11:00 AM report shows a shift to the South...and that puts Irma on a path over Cuba by Saturday. At this point nobody knows where she will go. If she continues on a southerly course she could easily skip Florida and head into the Yucatan. You will know the answers by Friday AM. Good Luck!!

I am on the same cruise. Everyday it changes. We are flying in at Fort Lauderdale Friday at 5pm. At that point it's suppose to be in Cancun. I know exactly how you feel. I can only hope things with change, the boat will return on time, we can get on safety and just go! I was curious and wondered if the actual boat would consider leaving early. Idk a million thoughts...

Not going on the Divina again until Jan. but have friends on her now, I think they had an Eastern itinerary that might have changed to Western, any know if that happened?

Yes, a post on another thread said that they had rerouted to a Western itinerary.

http://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2539378

We are on divina now sitting in Jamaica. Going to grand cayman tomorrow then Costa maya. The captain is playing everything day to day keeping us updated. He is keeping us safe away from the storm so we will see.

Enjoy! I love Costa Maya - have fun!

Thanks for letting us know. Safe travels and enjoy! !

We are on divina now sitting in Jamaica. Going to grand cayman tomorrow then Costa maya. The captain is playing everything day to day keeping us updated. He is keeping us safe away from the storm so we will see.

I am frustrated too. I'm supposed to drive down from DC but my understanding is if the models hold as they are, officials will do mandatory evacuations of Miami for Saturday.

Then, the models have it not leaving the area until MONDAY at the earliest. If that's the case, we are totally screwed. The cruise would be down to 4 nights, and I don't even know if I can convince my friends to drive down there to *maybe* get on a cruise, and MSC won't refund us if it actually goes out.

We are supposed to leave in two days, I just wish they gave us options.

Even if it isn't a direct hit getting a little nervous by the new models. Looks like it going to be pretty close to Miami and pretty close to us boarding.

Wondering about flights... we fly in on the 9th too. We could drive and arrive early but wondering if the Divina will even make it back to port on time if the waters ruff. Or if we will possibly be canceled [emoji30]. Hate to drive that far only to be cancelled. Wondering when they will make the call? I know it's to soon today but would like enough notice to change travel plans if needed.

It will be better if you arrive a day early because of flight cancellations.

I will be concerned too. Better to be there a day before, just in case.

My concern now is that they may evaluate Miami. If so ships won't port will they? Looks like it will be way to windy even if Irma hasn't arrived Saturday. I hate to fly in early only to be evacuated and not be able to get on the ship. I guess a few more days will tell. But at this point it's not looking good.

6b3f0c0f1cc2e8771b27c0f393edf50c.jpg

Have a great time. We did that route a couple weeks back. The week after us NCL Escape got routed to Eastern from Western so the opposite of you.

I remember staying in your city when on spring break many years ago - and the large Gar snake.

If the storm takes a turn north over FL, perhaps MSC would head from this week's Western Caribbean itinerary to another port nowhere near Miami or even Tampa for that matter for safety. Even if the storm is headed over Miami, it could easily shift to another area in FL as Hurricane Charlie did years ago.

Unfortunately, it looks like we won't know where the storm is headed until it reaches Cuba from what I read this morning.

A very tentative prediction said Irma would reach US late this week or early weekend.

Really hoping it does avoid FL and heads out to sea after encountering the islands.

Here is the link to check for MSC weather updates: https://www.msccruisesusa.com/en-us/About-MSC/News/itinerary-weather-updates.aspx

Edited by tbmrt
added

I I just looked at the most uptodate info on Irma and the projections do not look good for Miami. Looks like she will be arriving by 2:00 AM on Saturday morning. The European projection is more southerly and headed over Cuba and going into Gulf of Mexico.

Hi Grandmimi,

If you don't have insurance you might want to consider going a day or two early and maybe flying into Fort Lauderdale instead of Miami taking Irma into consideration. Or simply keep an eye on Divina...as she might not be in Miami on the 9th. Remain flexible and hopefully you will get lucky...keep those positive thoughts flowing.:)

If the storm takes a turn north over FL, perhaps MSC would head from this week's Western Caribbean itinerary to another port nowhere near Miami or even Tampa for that matter for safety. Even if the storm is headed over Miami, it could easily shift to another area in FL as Hurricane Charlie did years ago.

I don't think the Divina can fit under the bridge to get to Port of Tampa.:eek:

We live a bit North of Daytona Beach just back from the Atlantic, Charlie surprised us, we were not prepared but thankfully only lost a few shingles and the pool enclosure.

Hi Grandmimi,

The latest news is that Irma is moving slower and will NOT reach Miami until late Sunday...if at all. It looks like Irma is poised to hit Cuba big time. Stay tuned...you might be able to make it. Where Divina will go on Saturday night is a big question mark. You could be going to Bermuda.:cool:

I have friends currently on the 9/2 Divina - if she gets back in safely this Saturday I'd bet that they will pull out MUCH earlier than the stated 17:00hours. I have seen this happen in other situations with a very fast turnaround to get out of harm's way. Get pax off (if it is safe), reload, and ske-daddle!

I'm hoping we all get on the sailing for Sept 9th... its very sad where it will hit its a cat 5 and will be a lot of damage. I pray for everyone's safety.

If the ports changed that a-ok for me...we are all safe! Question tho if they have to port elsewhere do they need permission from the island:confused:?

Hi Grandmimi,

The latest news is that Irma is moving slower and will NOT reach Miami until late Sunday...if at all. It looks like Irma is poised to hit Cuba big time. Stay tuned...you might be able to make it. Where Divina will go on Saturday night is a big question mark. You could be going to Bermuda.:cool:

Honestly I wondered the same thing??? My plan is to be at the port 11am I'm sure everyone else will do the same if they can. Some ppl are flying in on Saturday :eek: I would never fly in the same day as embarking. Does the ship have to have a certain capacity to sail out??

I have friends currently on the 9/2 Divina - if she gets back in safely this Saturday I'd bet that they will pull out MUCH earlier than the stated 17:00hours. I have seen this happen in other situations with a very fast turnaround to get out of harm's way. Get pax off (if it is safe), reload, and ske-daddle!