Using a GoPro on a Cruise Ship

Maz85

I saw the latest Jane McDonald Cruising series on TV and noticed that she used a GoPro some of the time. Therefore, I was wondering if they are allowed on the ships or 'frowned upon'.

I think they would be really useful for taking selfies of us in the Fjords, or am I just being 'sad'!!! :-)

I've used a "GoPro" look alike for a couple of years for taking time lapse videos. Attached it to the railings or balcony. This was Oceana going through the Gatun Locks on the Panama Canal last year - taken from the back of the ship.

What is a GoPro? Or am I just thick?

Yes they are great fun .. It certainly saves having to keep asking for others to take

our photos,pop it on a selfie stick we had fab videos and pics of our selves on.

our aft balcony on Britannia, and for snorkelling the quality was excellent

I saw the latest Jane McDonald Cruising series on TV and noticed that she used a GoPro some of the time. Therefore, I was wondering if they are allowed on the ships or 'frowned upon'.

I think they would be really useful for taking selfies of us in the Fjords, or am I just being 'sad'!!! :-)

Sad:D

Yes they are great fun .. It certainly saves having to keep asking for others to take

our photos,pop it on a selfie stick we had fab videos and pics of our selves on.

our aft balcony on Britannia, and for snorkelling the quality was excellent

Sorry, but imho, Selfie Sticks are a menace and should be banned. Too many folks don't give a damn if they nearly poke your eye out or wallop you on the head with it. Rant over :D.

I've used a "GoPro" look alike for a couple of years for taking time lapse videos. Attached it to the railings or balcony. This was Oceana going through the Gatun Locks on the Panama Canal last year - taken from the back of the ship.

That's a fantastic film. Thanks for posting it. I have always wanted to go through the Panama Canal and loved seeing the railway 'tugs' in action. When viewed in fast motion, you also get the sense of the ship being raised in each lock as well. I believe that it's being widened (or changed) and the experience in future years may be less dramatic.

That's a fantastic film. Thanks for posting it. I have always wanted to go through the Panama Canal and loved seeing the railway 'tugs' in action. When viewed in fast motion, you also get the sense of the ship being raised in each lock as well. I believe that it's being widened (or changed) and the experience in future years may be less dramatic.

Thanks Selbourne. Only goes to show what can be done with cheap look alike action camera. Just £33 on Amazon couple of years ago and using free Microsoft software. My two minute or so video, covered the lock transit which took over two hours.

The new locks are open at the Panama canal but have yet to transit them. It is one of those items on a boys bucket list and I've been lucky enough to have done three full transits and three partial ones.

Thank you for your reply. Your video was really inspirational. I hadn't thought of doing time lapse videos, but I think they will be perfect in the Fjords.

Sorry, but imho, Selfie Sticks are a menace and should be banned. Too many folks don't give a damn if they nearly poke your eye out or wallop you on the head with it. Rant over :D.

Totally agree with you in some respect. I work in tourism and selfie sticks can certainly be annoying!

I was planning on being a considerate user though and, thanks to Cruiser1955, am now considering making a time lapse video of the Fjords! :)

Thank you for your reply. Your video was really inspirational. I hadn't thought of doing time lapse videos, but I think they will be perfect in the Fjords.

Maz, glad you enjoyed the video and that it has given you a few ideas. I've yet to visit the Norwegian fjords with the camera but I did use it in the New Zealand fjords and came away with some good videos. Don't forget to try time-lapse as you enter or leave port.

Jon

Totally agree with you in some respect. I work in tourism and selfie sticks can certainly be annoying!

I was planning on being a considerate user though and, thanks to Cruiser1955, am now considering making a time lapse video of the Fjords! :)

Good to hear that you will be a considerate user Maz. One of the worst places I have experienced inconsiderate use was in Gaudi's Parc Guell in Barcelona. I was on the verge of being arrested for assault there :D

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks Selbourne. Only goes to show what can be done with cheap look alike action camera. Just £33 on Amazon couple of years ago and using free Microsoft software. My two minute or so video, covered the lock transit which took over two hours.

The new locks are open at the Panama canal but have yet to transit them. It is one of those items on a boys bucket list and I've been lucky enough to have done three full transits and three partial ones.

Could you possibly tell me what make/model your cheap action camera was? Might get one for our travels!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Could you possibly tell me what make/model your cheap action camera was? Might get one for our travels!

Not the one I bought - can't remember what it was called but this looks to be a similar specification and comes with the same accessories. No brand name on mine and the manual is a simple sheet of paper so you need to play around with it a bit to get the hang of it. For trying time lapse, just recorded a trip in the car.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victure-Waterproof-Underwater-Accessories-Rechargeable-Black/dp/B06XKZ6VH4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1511641080&sr=8-9&keywords=action+cam

If you type "action cam" in the Amazon search box it will come up with a lot of options. I don't think many come with a memory card but I just bought a cheap 16GB micro SD card for around £5.

Not the one I bought - can't remember what it was called but this looks to be a similar specification and comes with the same accessories. No brand name on mine and the manual is a simple sheet of paper so you need to play around with it a bit to get the hang of it. For trying time lapse, just recorded a trip in the car.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Victure-Waterproof-Underwater-Accessories-Rechargeable-Black/dp/B06XKZ6VH4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1511641080&sr=8-9&keywords=action+cam

If you type "action cam" in the Amazon search box it will come up with a lot of options. I don't think many come with a memory card but I just bought a cheap 16GB micro SD card for around £5.

Thanks very much, I’ll check it out.

Agreed - and they stick out and ruin my photos too!

The old locks are still in use as well and those are the ones we went through on Aurora on her worldie this year.

• 1 month later...
Do you remember your time lapse settings? like a pic every 5 seconds etc.. thanks!

Hi Jeeperzz

I set take a pic to every 2 secs. I usually shoot in 1920*1080 mode as that is the resolution for creating HD videos. I am playing around with the 4000*3000 to try creating videos for use on a 4K tv, but that creates a few problems as it is a 4*3 format rather than 16*9.

Using Microsoft MovieMaker, I import all photos, then, select all phots once imported before clicking the click on the edit tab and set duration to 0.1 (you have to enter this value manually as it only shows duration in whole seconds). You may want to experiment with the duration value to make a smoother video depending on what you are filming but I find a setting between 0.1 and 0.05 seems to be best for what I've filmed - the smaller this value, the faster the movie will play..

Suggest you import just 100 or so photos to experiment with at first to get the settings right in MovieMaker.

Depending on your computer, I've imported up to 7,000 photos at a time and it has taken around 20 minutes to create the video - again, time will depend on which options you use to save the video.

If you want some further help, email me - address in my signature - and I'll see if I can help.

Good luck