Is Cream Tea available?

islanderr

We have been urgently advised that we have simply not lived until we enjoy a Cream Tea including Devonshire Clotted Cream. Has anyone who has recently traveled aboard the QM2 enjoyed a Cream Tea at any of the ship's afternoon teas?

Afternoon tea is served most days in the Queens Room, Queens Grill Lounge, Kings Court (self serve) and via room service.

Clotted Cream is usually not available sadly. They use a thick cream substitute.

When I am in Southampton or Hythe immediately before sailing I have gone into Marks and Spencer (Southampton) or Waitrose (Hythe) and purchased a tub of clotted cream and taken it onboard (or brought some from home). Costs £2.00-£2.50. Stored in the cabin fridge and taken with me to Afternoon Tea, it lasts for many days of Afternoon Tea when shared between a couple, and as a solo traveller I easily made a tub last a whole crossing.

Afternoon Tea with Cunard is iconic (or high camp), and shouldn't be missed when on board (at least once in a voyage, maybe more!).

In the Queens Room a seat near the dance floor is perfect when a string quartet or harpist is playing.

When a "tea dance" then near the windows (the band can be deafening).

Avoid tables with lamps on them (you can't see the person opposite you and there is nowhere to put plates, cup and saucers).

In the Grills it is even better (or even camper if you wish!) with an amazing selection of teas, cakes, dainty sandwiches, rolls, pastries and even a triple tea-timer.

However, Afternoon Tea in the Pump Room in Bath, at the Ritz (or other top London hotels) is in a higher league again (But at eye-watering cost!).

Hope this helps :) Bon Voyage!

Edited by pepperrn

Afternoon Tea with Cunard is iconic (or high camp)...

Dale Winton minces in with the cucumber sandwiches !

In the Grills it is even better (or even camper if you wish!) ...

Whilst in the grills, Julian Clarey totters over with your tea, Larry Grayson serves the cream puffs and Kenneth Williams presents the scones with a gay flourish !

We have been urgently advised that we have simply not lived until we enjoy a Cream Tea including Devonshire Clotted Cream. Has anyone who has recently traveled aboard the QM2 enjoyed a Cream Tea at any of the ship's afternoon teas?

It all depends Devonshire Cream Tea or a Cornish Cream Tea there is a difference even if only subtle.

Afternoon tea is served most days in the Queens Room, Queens Grill Lounge, Kings Court (self serve) and via room service.

Clotted Cream is usually not available sadly. They use a thick cream substitute.

When I am in Southampton or Hythe immediately before sailing I have gone into Marks and Spencer (Southampton) or Waitrose (Hythe) and purchased a tub of clotted cream and taken it onboard (or brought some from home). Costs £2.00-£2.50. Stored in the cabin fridge and taken with me to Afternoon Tea, it lasts for many days of Afternoon Tea when shared between a couple, and as a solo traveller I easily made a tub last a whole crossing.

Afternoon Tea with Cunard is iconic (or high camp), and shouldn't be missed when on board (at least once in a voyage, maybe more!).

In the Queens Room a seat near the dance floor is perfect when a string quartet or harpist is playing.

Avoid tables with lamps on them (you can't see the person opposite you and there is nowhere to put plates, cup and saucers).

In the Grills it is even better (or even camper if you wish!) with an amazing selection of teas, cakes, dainty sandwiches, rolls, pastries and even a triple tea-timer.

However, Afternoon Tea in the Pump Room in Bath, at the Ritz (or other top London hotels) is in a higher league again (But at eye-watering cost!).

(bold is mine) Dainty is right! I had a sandwich on the world's smallest croissant in the grills lounge. But they redeemed themselves with an excellent chocolate cake.

Thanks for the tip about the clotted cream, I wouldn't have thought of buying my own. M&S is near our hotel, so it's an easy errand.

Prices for afternoon tea in London generally put us off going. We had a lovely tea in the British Museum many years ago. Classic goodies served on a tiered plate, lovely china, nice glass of fizz, and our table had a view down into the reading room. The next time we went, they'd gone "modern" and the teacup was a heavy wide cup, more appropriate for coffee than tea. They'd modernized the sandwiches and sweets, too. :(

Do they serve afternoon tea in the Carinthia?

... Thanks for the tip about the clotted cream, I wouldn't have thought of buying my own. M&S is near our hotel, so it's an easy errand. ...
Hi 3rdGenCunarder, Glad to help.

Be sure to check the "best before/consume by" date on the tub. I made a mistake on one crossing and just picked up the first tub I saw (it "ran out" the day after sailing).

One one trip I simply had to share with others on my table as they all looked longingly at my "real" clotted cream :) . One couple had never tasted it previously.

Best wishes to you for your crossing, happy sailing :) .

Edited by pepperrn

I consider myself a bit of an afternoon tea expert... I've been to loads on land.

I took my first Cunard cruise last year and it was AMAZING! The highlight of the cruise for me completely.

LOOK AT THOSE CAKES [emoji7][emoji7][emoji7] http://cruisingisntjustforoldpeople.co.uk/2016/11/12/cunard-afternoon-tea/ (my review there if you're interested)

My favourite was the one that looks like a huge Jammy dodger?? Love that they have twining tea too.

I am not an expert on clotted cream!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree with checking the best buy date and get the latest one. I don't necessarily agree that you have to dispose of it by that date. What did we do before they used to put dates on things. When I was little, it was after the war, and I remember my mother would always smell and if it smelt "off" it was disposed of, if not we ate it. Anyone else remember these days?

When I was little, it was after the war, and I remember my mother would always smell and if it smelt "off" it was disposed of, if not we ate it. Anyone else remember these days?

Those days were before my time, but I grew up quite poor and I still do this. I can't ever remember anything being "off" a day after the expiration date. My husband is skeptical, but I tell him those dates are more of a guideline than a rule. He's still alive :')

Do not get confused with afternoon tea and cream tea. Usually afternoon tea is finger sandwiches, cakes with scones and jam and cream (not usually clotted) and tea where a cream tea is normally just a scone with clotted cream and jam and tea. The difference between a Cornish cream tea and a Devonshire cream tea is cream on the scone first and then jam, Cornish cream tea is jam on the scone and then cream.

I agree with checking the best buy date and get the latest one. I don't necessarily agree that you have to dispose of it by that date. What did we do before they used to put dates on things. When I was little, it was after the war, and I remember my mother would always smell and if it smelt "off" it was disposed of, if not we ate it. Anyone else remember these days?

Like it was yesterday. Oh wait, it was! (And I'm still here this morning)

I'm a firm believer in the sniff test. Milk sometimes goes off before its date, so anything approaching the sell-by gets the sniff test.

Like it was yesterday. Oh wait, it was! (And I'm still here this morning)

I'm a firm believer in the sniff test. Milk sometimes goes off before its date, so anything approaching the sell-by gets the sniff test.

Me too with the sniff test! So many of my friends will throw away the minute it's over the best before date which is just mad!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do not get confused with afternoon tea and cream tea. Usually afternoon tea is finger sandwiches, cakes with scones and jam and cream (not usually clotted) and tea where a cream tea is normally just a scone with clotted cream and jam and tea. The difference between a Cornish cream tea and a Devonshire cream tea is cream on the scone first and then jam, Cornish cream tea is jam on the scone and then cream.

I take a slight issue with this comment. Afternoon tea is very definitely usually with clotted cream. I have tried a lot of afternoon teas around the country (currently nearing 100 different venues) and only about 2 or 3 have not included clotted cream.

Personally I favour the Cornish method of jam topped with clotted cream for my scones.

I'm a sniffer too rather than a strict 'use by' follower.

I take a slight issue with this comment. Afternoon tea is very definitely usually with clotted cream. I have tried a lot of afternoon teas around the country (currently nearing 100 different venues) and only about 2 or 3 have not included clotted cream.

Personally I favour the Cornish method of jam topped with clotted cream for my scones.

I believe that you can get real Clotted Cream at the Queens Room tea if you ask. On a past cruise we had tea with Jim's Girl in the Queens Room and when she saw the clotted cream version they brought out she told the server "Oh no, we want the real clotted cream you have in the kitchen". Well low and behold in 5 minutes we got several dishes of Real Clotted Cream and it was delicious and real. Maybe those in the Grills also get the "REAL THING"....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

... I don't necessarily agree that you have to dispose of it by that date. ... ?
Hi DreamflightPat and ExpatBride and 3rdGenCunarder and Eleteace and Camgirl (phew!),

I totally agree with the "sniff test", and nothing goes "off" the day after the "sell by" date, or even one day after the "use by" date. Of course it doesn't :) . I regularly eat things that are a couple or more days past their "date". I hate the waste that modern shopping encourages in many ways "throw it out the day it goes out of date" is total nonsense. The only things I am very careful with is shellfish (mainly prawns/shrimp) and poultry.

However, I was making a suggestion to someone who was about to spend some time on holiday when they surely wouldn't want to be ill by taking any risk at all. So I made what I thought was a sensible suggestion, and something I now do each time (check the date). It is also a waste of money if can't enjoy it all the way across.

In my one case (where the "eat by" date was a day after sailing) I continued to eat it until it failed the "sniff test" half way across. And I certainly wouldn't have shared it with fellow passengers (I couldn't live with myself if they had fallen ill :eek: ).

Hope this explains :) .Sorry I wasn't clearer.

I did not say that it was never used with clotted cream if you read my comment I said "not usually clotted" and like yourself we have had many afternoon teas throughout the UK and had a variety of clotted and thick cream served. "Very definitely usually" is a rather contradictory statement it is either "definitely" or "usually" not both.

Hi DreamflightPat and ExpatBride and 3rdGenCunarder and Eleteace and Camgirl (phew!),

I totally agree with the "sniff test", and nothing goes "off" the day after the "sell by" date, or even one day after the "use by" date. Of course it doesn't :) . I regularly eat things that are a couple or more days past their "date". I hate the waste that modern shopping encourages in many ways "throw it out the day it goes out of date" is total nonsense. The only things I am very careful with is shellfish (mainly prawns/shrimp) and poultry.

However, I was making a suggestion to someone who was about to spend some time on holiday when they surely wouldn't want to be ill by taking any risk at all. So I made what I thought was a sensible suggestion, and something I now do each time (check the date). It is also a waste of money if can't enjoy it all the way across.

In my one case (where the "eat by" date was a day after sailing) I continued to eat it until it failed the "sniff test" half way across. And I certainly wouldn't have shared it with fellow passengers (I couldn't live with myself if they had fallen ill :eek: ).

Hope this explains :) .Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Please forgive me for sounding like an old killjoy, but l would be wary of taking dairy products on board and even more wary of sharing with fellow guests in the public rooms. Given that occasional gastro outbreaks on cruise ships are high profile and attract much scrutiny and comment would Cunard be comfortable that guests increase risks, no matter how remote the possibility, by handing round and consuming self bought and stored dairy products while onboard?

In date or out of date l would worry about bringing unwanted attention on myself should the worst happen. Not meant as a critisism but merely an alternative view of how the cruise line may view the subject.

M-AR

And I did not state that you said it is never clotted cream. I just said that it is very rare that the cream is not clotted when served as part of an Afternoon Tea. I apologise that my English is not up to standard.

Pepperrn, I totally agree with your comment about using items past their use by date. It is fine for me but i would not expect others to join me unless they were completely happy and were in full knowledge of the facts.

Please forgive me for sounding like an old killjoy, but l would be wary of taking dairy products on board and even more wary of sharing with fellow guests in the public rooms. Given that occasional gastro outbreaks on cruise ships are high profile and attract much scrutiny and comment would Cunard be comfortable that guests increase risks, no matter how remote the possibility, by handing round and consuming self bought and stored dairy products while onboard? In date or out of date l would worry about bringing unwanted attention on myself should the worst happen. Not meant as a critisism but merely an alternative view of how the cruise line may view the subject. M-AR
I agree with your caution. However, I shared only one time, and then only because I was being pressured into it. Normally it is for my consumption only. I bring the tub from the cabin fridge, and return it there immediately after. I also don't wish to be ill when on board.

Best wishes and happy sailings Mid-Atlantic Ridge :) .

(I'm beginning to regret giving little tips and suggestions... ).

Edited by pepperrn

But do you put the jam on first, followed by the cream or the other way round? :rolleyes:

This is surely a deeply inflammatory and political post, totally proscribed by the rules of the forum, and in danger of triggering "clotted cream wars" on this board between Devonians and supporters of Mebyon Kernow. This could make arguments about Mr Trump seem like a ... erm ... children's tea party. ;)

Stuart

It is best to put the jam on first otherwise if the jam is spread on the cream, it slides off

Shout if you like, Cunard scones are dreadful. We only had afternoon tea once as it was so disappointing. All depends of course, on what you are used to eating at home.

It is best to put the jam on first otherwise if the jam is spread on the cream, it slides off��

Shout if you like, Cunard scones are dreadful. We only had afternoon tea once as it was so disappointing. All depends of course, on what you are used to eating at home.

Hi morbihan,

Was the whole afternoon tea "experience" poor, or simply the scones that were bad on the one occasion you went?

Thanks for the info, very good of you.