Live from the RCOA - on QM2

Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

See posts about:
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 11:36 AM.
Canberra, Australia
2,953 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Back to reality for all of us - such miserable weather too! I am lucky as I do not go back to work for another week (I work 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off which is quite pleasant).
Pushka - hope you were not overweight on the flight home with all the shopping! I remember one trip where we had to buy a new suitcase (small carry on to be fair) to bring home some floor rugs from Iceland!
Waiting for Peter and any one else's reviews - can't be far off now - I figure 4 days is a bit short to write a meaningful review even though we had a great time.
South Australia
8,105 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by Aussieflyer
Pushka - hope you were not overweight on the flight home .........
For a moment there I thought you were talking about how much I had eaten! . But surprising for me after eating Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners and Afternoon teas, I didn't gain any weight! Yet at home I don't eat breakfast, just a couple of small things for lunch, no afternoon tea and a normal dinner. Weird.

I don't think you were there when I was telling 3rdgencunarder that I had to buy a suitcase with all the shopping I did in New York a couple of years ago.

The weather in Adelaide is stunning, which is something. 27 degrees since we got back home and sparkling sunshine. March is our best weather.

Straight back to work for me as my project continued Friday. And then yesterday, the Saturday of a long weekend here our server went down and as it is our own business, guess who got the job of sorting it out.

Have you checked out the thread with pictures and you tubes of our short trip? Its on this Cunard board.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Queen Mary 2 2013, 2014, 2017
Liberty of the Seas 2012
Celebrity Equinox 2014 and 2015
Diamond Princess December 2016
Celebrity Silhouette July 2017
Oriana 1980
Princess Dawn 2013
Canberra, Australia
2,953 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Hi Pushka
I have checked out the thread - you have some great videos. I didn't take the video camera this time, though not sure why??
Where did you say you were cruising later this year? Sorry, I think you mentioned it on one of the threads but I seem to have forgotten (is that something to do with my advanced years?)
Jenny
South Australia
8,105 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Hi Jenny. We are doing a 7 night Med cruise from Barcelona on Liberty of the Seas in July. As well as 3 weeks driving through France. I was pleased with the clarity of the video as I just used my normal camera and not a video recorder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Liberty of the Seas 2012
Oriana 1980
Princess Dawn 2013
Perth Western Australia
1,825 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Pushka
For a moment there I thought you were talking about how much I had eaten! . But surprising for me after eating Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners and Afternoon teas, I didn't gain any weight! Yet at home I don't eat breakfast, just a couple of small things for lunch, no afternoon tea and a normal dinner. Weird.
But I'm sure you don't have a half-mile walk between bedroom and diningroom!
3,596 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by Westaussie
But I'm sure you don't have a half-mile walk between bedroom and diningroom!
The half-mile walk didn't help me. I still put on between 3 to 4 kgs.

It's a shock coming back to reality isn't it. I had to make my own cup of tea!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Queen Mary 2 - Westbound Trans-Atlantic - Sailed on October 1st, 2010
Pacific Dawn - White Cloud Wonders - Sailed on November 19th, 2011
Queen Mary 2 - Royal Circumnavigation of Australia - Sailed on February 14th 2012
Queen Mary 2 - Singapore to Brisbane - Sailed on February 9th 2013
Queen Elizabeth - New York to Sydney - Sailed on January 10th 2014
South Australia
8,105 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
Originally posted by Whitemarsh
It's a shock coming back to reality isn't it. I had to make my own cup of tea!
I know, it's just not right is it! And it never tastes the same either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Liberty of the Seas 2012
Oriana 1980
Princess Dawn 2013
Texas
248 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
Your reports were informative and amusing. You reminded me of our cruise, when the stories about the launderette among the people dining near us kept us laughing on a daily basis. It became a big deal when they 30 for 30 special was offered on each leg, sparing us one trip to launder.
Last year's world cruise was blessed with terrific weather. Only 1 in 94 days did I feel like a drunk while walking down the hall. We'd feel a jolt once in a while while dancing, but it never kept us away.
Glad the refurbishment was to your liking. Last year it was quite evident it was needed, worn or stained carpeting, especially near launderettes, and many dents on the baseboards. But the funniest were the deep indentations in the floor of the Brittania Restaurant, as the floor was sinking. We walked thru there to/from Br. Club and wondered how some of the less mobile passengers didn't trip.
The corniest, and sweetest, memory was of the group sing alongs in the main reception area on sea days. I'd pass by there and see people really enjoying themselves.
Hope you'll travel and blog again soon
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dancer

Crystal: Baltic, June 1999
Crystal: Greece, Oct 2000
Crystal: Argentina, Chile, January 2001
Crystal: Alaska, August 2005
Crystal: Fall Foliage, Sept 2007
Crystal: Norway, June 2008
Queen Mary 2: Caribbean, January 2009
Crystal: Turkey, Croatia, Barcelona, Oct 2009
Indep of the Seas: Caribbean, January 2010
Crystal: Black Sea, August 2010
Queen Mary 2: World Cruise 2011
Uniworld: Rhine & Mosel, September 2012
Queen Victoria: Baltic, June 2013
Crystal: Panama Canal 16 day, May 2014
Windsor, England
199 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
I have just booked the 12 night Royal Circumnavigation of New Zealand for March 2013 in Princess Grill (the last booking before it closed I was told by Cunard).

Whitemarsh, reading your reports has really inspired me. Many thanks for all the details!
Canberra, Australia
2,953 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Hu Pushka - enjoy the Med and France. We were booked to do the Eastern Med on Crystal last year but had to cancel. We are now booked for Galapagos on the small Celebrity Xpedition in October and will visit Machu Picchu and the Amazon when over there. Qantas had a good flight deal a couple of weeks back so that helped.
Had a 2 night Dawn Princess Sydney to Brisbane last weekend. Not a patch on QM2 in terms of ship, ambience or the quality of the overall experience. Suffice to say, not looking to go Princess again.
3,596 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Had a 2 night Dawn Princess Sydney to Brisbane last weekend. Not a patch on QM2 in terms of ship, ambience or the quality of the overall experience. Suffice to say, not looking to go Princess again.
I had a colleague from work do New Zealand on the Sun Princess. They too didn't enjoy the experience.

Originally posted by Chelsea1
Whitemarsh, reading your reports has really inspired me. Many thanks for all the details!
Thank you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Queen Mary 2 - Royal Circumnavigation of Australia - Sailed on February 14th 2012
Canberra, Australia
2,953 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
I had a colleague from work do New Zealand on the Sun Princess. They too didn't enjoy the experience.
We enjoyed the weekend away - who wouldn't - had good weather, smooth seas, whales and dolphins but the ship did not impress in many ways. Sure that there will be fans of the Dawn Princess out there somewhere, just not me.
Did enjoy the blog too Whitemarsh. Did you end up booking NZ?
3,596 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
We enjoyed the weekend away - who wouldn't - had good weather, smooth seas, whales and dolphins but the ship did not impress in many ways. Sure that there will be fans of the Dawn Princess out there somewhere, just not me.
Did enjoy the blog too Whitemarsh. Did you end up booking NZ?
Yes, and them some. I'm doing Singapore to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Sydney and then the New Zealand circumnavigation (Sydney to Sydney). 38 nights in total. I haven't been to Saigon, Bangkok or Shanghai so I am very excited about those ports.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Canberra, Australia
2,953 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Yes, and them some. I'm doing Singapore to Hong Kong, Hong Kong to Sydney and then the New Zealand circumnavigation (Sydney to Sydney). 38 nights in total. I haven't been to Saigon, Bangkok or Shanghai so I am very excited about those ports.
Wow - what a fabulous trip! Bet soon you will end up doing a full world cruise!!! Princess Grill again?
3,596 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Wow - what a fabulous trip! Bet soon you will end up doing a full world cruise!!! Princess Grill again?
I don't know about that, a world cruise would be too long for me I think. This time I'll be doing Britannia, it will be my first time and I'm looking forward to experiencing the difference.

I've worked out that if I want to cruise every year (on Cunard) I have to do one year Grills on - on year Grills off, Grills on - Grills off, and so on. I'll either like the experience and continue to cruise each year, or I won't, and I'll go back to cruising every two years.

I also want to try other cruise lines, like Celebrity.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Canberra, Australia
2,953 Posts
Joined Jun 2008
Whitemarsh, I wonder if the Grills experience has spoiled you and if you find Britannia less enjoyable. We are vaguely looking at Singapore to HongKong but cannot commit at present. We have been on Celebrity (Millennium class Infinity) and found it great. A sky suite is a good compromise of price and amenities though others like aqua class. You might like Azamara as well, much smaller but good service and can get into interesting ports. I look forward to hearing about the next QM2 experience.
Windsor, England
199 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
My first ever cruise was 14 night Royal Meditteranean on the QM2 in 2006. We were in Britannia (a B1 sheltered balcony) and it was a fabulous experience, I had no absolutely no issues with Britannia at all. In fact I felt sorry for the grills passengers who had such average looking dining rooms!

I've done two more QM2 cruises in Britannia, and both have been great.

The only disappointment I have had so far was Celebrity. We were in a sky suite, which was nice, but I did not enjoy the ship, service or food, the whole Celebrity experience really.

We have done two Asia cruises - one 13 night on RCI Legend of the Seas and 16 nights on the Diamond Princess Singapore to Beijing in March this year.

The ports are amazing - particularly Shanghai, Beijing, HK, Saigon, Nagasaki. I would definitely recommend Asia and would love to add it to a Aus/NZ itinerary, but unfortunately work does not make it possible

This time it will be a stopover in Singapore for work, then flight to Sydney, circumnavigation of NZ, stopover in HK for work on the way back.

I am really looking forward to getting back on the QM2. It will be a first in Grills, so hoping to enjoy the experience. We can compare notes with your Britannia experience on this segment!