Corfu reccomendations?

Estealvarado

I found the best thing was the scenery in Corfu itself rather than any of the attractions. We did a panarama tour with Corfu taxi tours. There is a thread devoted to them, also reviews on Tripadvisor.

Had a wonderful, relaxing day.

We paid 10 EUR for a taxi from pier to old town. Wandered the streets until we found the main square. There were carriages lined up in the small park and took about a 40 minutes tour/ride for 50 EUR for 2. Nice relaxing day in Corfu town. We didn't wander outside of town as lots of folks do.

Taxis are lined up in the main square, 10 EUR for the ride back to the pier.

We went to Mon Repos, the Arch. Palace and wandered a bit around town. While the palaces were nice I wouldn't classify them as a "must see". If we go back, I would probably just wander around the old town. Here is a link to our pictures.

http://markandkareneurope2013.shutterfly.com/pictures/504

Lovely photos. Did you walk to all these places or use a taxi? We were going to go to mon repos beach and then the museaum.

Lovely photos. Did you walk to all these places or use a taxi? We were going to go to mon repos beach and then the museaum.

We took a private tour. Note that for the most part the Mon Repos building is (or at least was a couple of weeks ago) unfurnished.

We rented a car from corfu sunrise car rental and drove around some of the island. Easy place to drive and the scenery was great! Look for Virtual Rain's DIY corfu thread and that gives the best spots to visit. We followed that and added in some of our own stuff and had a great day!

Our cruise stops in corfu i do not have a ship excursion planned. What can we see or do in corfu? Or what should we not miss while in corfu?

We just got back from our 12-day cruise. Corfu was one of our best days thanks to Spiros from Corfu Taxi Tours. He is flexible and will adjust the itinerary for your interests. We were interested in visiting small villages and also a beach day. We did both. He arranged for a speed boat to take us to a private beach at Paoleokastritsa, and we loved the stop and also the lunch at the local place over the beach, that he recommended. Spiros is a great guy. If you use him tell him the guy he teased about the scary bears and lions in Corfu (private joke) referred you!

• 2 weeks later...
We just got back from our 12-day cruise. Corfu was one of our best days thanks to Spiros from Corfu Taxi Tours. He is flexible and will adjust the itinerary for your interests. We were interested in visiting small villages and also a beach day. We did both. He arranged for a speed boat to take us to a private beach at Paoleokastritsa, and we loved the stop and also the lunch at the local place over the beach, that he recommended. Spiros is a great guy. If you use him tell him the guy he teased about the scary bears and lions in Corfu (private joke) referred you!

Do you mind sharing how long your tour was and how much you paid? Trying to plan our 12 day cruise leaving the end of August and Corfu is the only port we have left to plan for. The description of your tour sounds exactly like what I want to do...see the island and go to a nice beach.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We used Corfu taxi tours also and paid 40E per hour. We had a 3 hour tour with Philip who took us all over the island and to the beach. Had a great time and saw and learned a lot about Corfu.

We rented a car from corfu sunrise car rental and drove around some of the island. Easy place to drive and the scenery was great! Look for Virtual Rain's DIY corfu thread and that gives the best spots to visit. We followed that and added in some of our own stuff and had a great day!

We just did the same last week. Very easy to get around and also very beautiful. We used Sunrise rental which is across from the pier (still a bit of a walk as they make you go way to the left to exit). Our car was almost brand new, only 2,700 K, not bad for 60€! We drove to Paleokastritsa and Achilleion as well as some scenic overlooks.

KirkNC - Did you reserve in advance or just find the rental after you arrived? Do you need the International License?

I'm going to cut in but Kirk share your experience too! When I booked from them I reserved it online prior. However, when we got there it was almost like they had no clue. Not like how when you rent a car here they know. I also planned on paying with a credit card but they wanted cash (euros). We were the 1st people there off of our ship but 2 girls were there from somewhere else and they booked the car on the spot. You probably would be fine ever way but I'm a planner so I booked before.

KirkNC - Did you reserve in advance or just find the rental after you arrived? Do you need the International License?

I reserved ahead on their website, you don't pay until you pick up (cash only). I had an international license but they did not ask for one. I have never been asked for one in Europe but understand if you have an accident it might be good to have it.

Edited by KirkNC

I'm going to cut in but Kirk share your experience too! When I booked from them I reserved it online prior. However, when we got there it was almost like they had no clue. Not like how when you rent a car here they know. I also planned on paying with a credit card but they wanted cash (euros). We were the 1st people there off of our ship but 2 girls were there from somewhere else and they booked the car on the spot. You probably would be fine ever way but I'm a planner so I booked before.

They had my reservation as they knew I wanted an automatic.

They had my reservation as they knew I wanted an automatic.

Oh wow. That's good then for you! It wasn't a delay or anything but I was just surprised they didn't have the reservation or car ready. We rented the jimney that is kinda like a tracker here. We had to wait about 5 minutes for them to get it from somewhere. But it was so worth renting a car and doing this stop on your own!

I read on Cruise Critic about Dimitri and his private tour company. Don't walk - run to make a reservation with him. We had his sister who picked us up in a Mercedes. She was totally delightful. She took us around the entire island. I hired them for 4 hours and it turns out she took us for 5. She showed us so much - wild thyme, oregano, gorgeous views, monestary, olives. She bought bread from the bread truck in one of the villages and took it to her uncles souvenier store. They then sliced it and put olive oil and spices on it. DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!! We then continued on our way.

info@corfutaxidrivers.gr

Tell them Samantha, kari and Judy say hello. They also are on FAcebook!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ahh, Corfu! Last summer this stop became the favorite of our trip. We are looking to do a Med cruise next summer, and enlisting the kids (teens) help, their first question is, "Is Corfu on the itinerary?".

Taking a tip from another CC member, we booked a day on Nautilus Daily Cruises, and had the most fabulous day.

Iakis meets you at the port and then tailors the day to your time schedule and desires. We had a long day and toured the Corfu coastline with stops in many little coves. Knowing I was a photographer, Iakis brought me to stunning locations and I'm still treasuring my photo memories.

Corfu-Greece-1-of-1-18-M.jpg

In addition, he provides a traditional Greek lunch. Not just simple fare, but gourmet food including Saganaki (OMG good!), stuffed baby squid, prawns, salads, vegetable sides, and the list goes on. He has a grill that he pulls out on the back of the boat, and the meal is one we will never forget.

Corfu-Greece-1-of-1-3-M.jpg

I'm a food and travel blogger, and wrote a full review here: Corfu with Nautilus Daily Cruises.

Corfu-Greece-1-of-1-2-M.jpg

Cliff jumping on the Corfu Coast!

After returning to Corfu we had a few hours to wander around Corfu Town. The people were truly welcoming, and we spent most of our time chatting with vendors and locals alike. Here's the link to that post: Corfu Town and Balkava

Olive-Wood-1-of-1-M.jpg

Wood shop in Corfu! Really, really neat items to buy and the owner here was a treat! I asked if I could take her picture and she smiled, struck and pose, then threw her head back laughing and said, "I'm just like Cindy Crawford!!!" She hugged me as we left and made me feel like I had a friend in Corfu.

We loved this port!!

We had the greatest all day private boat tour in Corfu on the Nautilus Boat!:)

Below is a link with more information. Have a great trip to Cofu!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1598280&highlight=corfu

I didn't see this until after I posted!! It was your post that led me to book the tour. I can't thank you enough!!:)

Ha... thanks for the referral :)

I realize I'm a bit late to this thread but here's the link to our DIY day in Corfu for reference:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1730851

Edited by VirtualRain