Carnival Crew Member

AllSmiles31

Hey Everyone,

In 8 days I'll be leaving for my first contract with Carnival! I will be working as a photographer. My training will be out of Port Canaveral aboard the Sensation.

I've set up a blog, where I will be documenting my journey as much as possible. All the links are below.

If you see me onboard, come say hi!

Also if you have any advice on packing, cool little places to visit in the Bahamas, or cruise must haves please let me know.

This is going to be fun! I'd love to bring everyone along for the ride!

THANKS!!!!!

I just signed up to follow your blog! Hopefully your story will be more "truthful" than Cruise Confidential.. Either that or it will confirm what he wrote~LOL!!

Good Luck to you!

HAHA I'm reading that book right now! I'm not going to lie but it has me scared about somethings. Hopefully I will have fully clothed roomates lol

A lot of people seem to like taking the over the door shoe organizers to hang on the bathroom door and put toiletries and other items in, I don't know if you are allowed to do this but you could share it with your roomie and give both of you some extra storage space:) Just an idea! Congrats and have a fabulous time! What an awesome job!

A lot of people seem to like taking the over the door shoe organizers to hang on the bathroom door and put toiletries and other items in, I don't know if you are allowed to do this but you could share it with your roomie and give both of you some extra storage space:) Just an idea! Congrats and have a fabulous time! What an awesome job!

HAHA bought one yesterday!!!

Lol, I just read that book, I'd love to hear your opinions on ship life. How long is your contract? Luckily photographers (as far as I know) aren't used or needed 24/7 so maybe you'll really get to explore and enjoy the ship and experience a bit.

As far as packing is concerned I guess it all depends on your room etc. Will you be staying in a crew room or a guest room? We ALWAYS bring our clear over the door shoe caddy, we hang it in the closet though, you can keep all of your little things in there, shampoo, hair products, shower stuff, bandaids, meds, sunblock, perfume/cologne, watch, jewelry, the list goes on and on, and several items fit in each pocket, makes it nice! Other than that, trust no one, bring lysol spray and spray anything and everything you'll come into contact with in your room! Remote, door handles, light switches, everything! Since you'll be living on the ship for a period of time, I would disenfect at least once a week, but that may also depend on if you have a roommate and what he or she is actually like. Bring the things you may think you need on land, cough medicine, cough drops, tylenol, excedrine, super glue, duct tape (works well on roommates :D) Lol, but by far, have fun! This is an experience very few Americans get to have and the rest of us are scared to try!!! I will follow your blog one hundred percent, and really look forward to reading it. Have a wonderful time, keep us posted and act as though your mother can see every move you make! ;)

I also like a shoe storage thingy that is long and narrow, about 6" wide, 12" deep, and usually has about 10 pockets. You are supposed to put one pair of shoes in each pocket, but it will hold two pair sandals in each, plus shawls and other assorted items. Saves space in the closet and keeps you from having to dig through all the shoes on the bottomof the closet...I have seen them everywhere, but the one I have cost $15 at JoAnn's, called 10 pocket shelf organizer, and it actually has little mesh pockets on the outside, too. EM

Lol, I just read that book, I'd love to hear your opinions on ship life. How long is your contract? Luckily photographers (as far as I know) aren't used or needed 24/7 so maybe you'll really get to explore and enjoy the ship and experience a bit.

As far as packing is concerned I guess it all depends on your room etc. Will you be staying in a crew room or a guest room? We ALWAYS bring our clear over the door shoe caddy, we hang it in the closet though, you can keep all of your little things in there, shampoo, hair products, shower stuff, bandaids, meds, sunblock, perfume/cologne, watch, jewelry, the list goes on and on, and several items fit in each pocket, makes it nice! Other than that, trust no one, bring lysol spray and spray anything and everything you'll come into contact with in your room! Remote, door handles, light switches, everything! Since you'll be living on the ship for a period of time, I would disenfect at least once a week, but that may also depend on if you have a roommate and what he or she is actually like. Bring the things you may think you need on land, cough medicine, cough drops, tylenol, excedrine, super glue, duct tape (works well on roommates :D) Lol, but by far, have fun! This is an experience very few Americans get to have and the rest of us are scared to try!!! I will follow your blog one hundred percent, and really look forward to reading it. Have a wonderful time, keep us posted and act as though your mother can see every move you make! ;)

Yes I bought one! $7 at target, couldn't pass that up.

My contract is for 6 months.

As for act like my mom can see....... Funny story, my aunt is making me take a little bobblehead with her picture taped on it. Shes like "It'll be like your little angel sitting on your shoulder! Just ask it what would Kendra do?" Lol my family is nuts!

Congratulations and what a fantastic opportunity!!

I have a 15yr old daughter who is NUTS about photography, and will be taking her first cruise this October....hopefully if this goes well, she can combine both and when she's old enough, maybe do the same thing!

Looking forward to hearing your adventures!!

I'd say a photographer is a pretty good gig on a ship! One of the happier jobs onboard.

I got to tour the photo lab on Miracle as part of a tour, and I know it is an amazing high volume operation. Pretty soon there will be facial recognition technology to help manage the photos, and maybe will let guests find the photos easier.

Sure would be nice if they brought the price of photos down, though. They are quite expensive now.

Congratulations on the job! Make the most if it.

I think the blog is a brilliant idea! I'd love to know what your additional duties will be.

I'll be checking in to see how your six month gig progresses!!!

:)

All the best!

Mach

Congratulations with your job!

Be a bit careful about your blog though. A lot of airlines and luxury hotels I worked for did not want their staff (especially flight attendants) to write on the web about their job, and actually forced these people to close down their weblog or take out everything that referred to their employer. In most cases this was covered by the contract clause not to reveal any information about the employer.

Do you know what the policy of your employer is on this? Not to dampen your enthusiasm, but some companies can be really childish about a blog....

No packing tips but I will say that the photographers on the Carnival Conquest last week were the best I've seen. They really took their time and helped pose people for great shots. I rarely buy the pictures but bought 3 this cruise and could have bought more. I don't understand why the port photographers set up so that you are squinting into the sun--those won't turn out well--but the posed casual, formal, and fun photographs were all really good. Have fun.

Say fromage!

I'll be interested in seeing if you have to work up your backgrounds.

Do you start black, work up to blue and sparklies, passing through the Titanic staircase, eventually working 3-D objects, and finally old fashioned dress and inanimate objects?

congrats on the job! i'm in vermont, from fla originally but a raised southern cali myself lol. orange county too! lol well, last 6 of it was san diego. hope to follow your journey and its just great of you to want to post and let everyone know. besides a good memory "book" for you :)

Archived