4/5 day sailings from Pt Canaveral or Tampa???

tampabrat22

Why are there so little choices (as in ships) when it comes to the 4 & 5 day sailings from Pt Canaveral or Tampa?

I would love to cruise more often, but due to my job I can only take so many days off (I work Fri-Mon) so the 4 and 5 days are great for us. I have already been on the Inspiration 4 times since it leaves from my hometown, and I'm not sure I want to sail on the Sensation. We are booked on the Dream for this fall but I'd love to do a shorter one too. So other than driving to Ft Lauderdale or Miami we just dont have many choices in ships if we want to sail close to home.

I know we are lucky to have so many ports available to us and to even be able to cruise more than once a year is a blessing to us, but I'm just curious why are there such limited ships that sail the shorter cruises from central Florida, especially Tampa (even on other cruise lines--which I would also consider). I love the Inspiration but it would be nice to sail more of the Carnival fleet one day, lol!

I'm in the area like yourself and work Mon - Fri as well. I would love to get away more often and try different ships.

We are very lucky to have so many ports to choose from. I finally tried Miami and loved that port! Ft. Lauderdale is next in line.

I love leaving from Tampa. Family drop us off and pick us up. The Legend is an awsome ship and I don't think I'd ever tire of it. Havent tried the shorter cruises yet. I'm lucky enough to afford to be away a week at a time.

Try a different line from Tampa. NCL will be here next year! Other than that, I'm not sure what to suggest. As I'm sure you know, the bigger ships can't get in here.

Happy cruising with what ever you decide! :)

Yeah, the big-big ships can't get to Tampa, but the beautiful Radiance of the seas and Jewel of the seas will be coming soon.... we can't wait to see those two from our Channelside building! they will be the most gorgeous ships docked in port.

So far, it's only the Legend (every single Sunday, same western itinerary) and the Inspiration or Imagination (I'm not sure) but it's a small ship.

Here's the Radiance solarium

RCI_Serenade_Solarium_2-w600x400.jpg

Jewel's atrium

Centrum.jpg

both ships are the same class, so they look pretty much the same

Jewel%20Cobh%20aerial.jpg

yeah, the big-big ships can't get to tampa, but the beautiful radiance of the seas and jewel of the seas will be coming soon.... We can't wait to see those two from our channelside building! They will be the most gorgeous ships docked in port.

so far, it's only the legend (every single sunday, same western itinerary) and the inspiration or imagination (i'm not sure) but it's a small ship.

here's the radiance solarium

rci_serenade_solarium_2-w600x400.jpg

jewel's atrium

centrum.jpg

both ships are the same class, so they look pretty much the same

jewel%20cobh%20aerial.jpg

beautiful!!!!!! :)

beautiful!!!!!! :)

Yeah, we love the Radiance class ships. At least it gives Tampa a little bit more variety and tourism. For those people who are scared to try a different cruiselines, this could be a great time to do it; and I promise, they won't be dissapointed, on the contrary, very surprised of what they'd find :D!!!! exactly how it happened to me;)...

Why are there so little choices (as in ships) when it comes to the 4 & 5 day sailings from Pt Canaveral or Tampa?

I would love to cruise more often, but due to my job I can only take so many days off (I work Fri-Mon) so the 4 and 5 days are great for us. I have already been on the Inspiration 4 times since it leaves from my hometown, and I'm not sure I want to sail on the Sensation. We are booked on the Dream for this fall but I'd love to do a shorter one too. So other than driving to Ft Lauderdale or Miami we just dont have many choices in ships if we want to sail close to home.

I know we are lucky to have so many ports available to us and to even be able to cruise more than once a year is a blessing to us, but I'm just curious why are there such limited ships that sail the shorter cruises from central Florida, especially Tampa (even on other cruise lines--which I would also consider). I love the Inspiration but it would be nice to sail more of the Carnival fleet one day, lol!

Do like several of us--Hammer John Heald on his blog. If they won't give us more Carnival, they could at least give us a newer HAL ship from TPA!

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Wow those Royal ships are really pretty, I saw the Granduer of the Seas at the port on Saturday and that ship looked really nice too (older, but nice). So we will soon be getting two new Royal ships and a NCL ship?

I'll have to look into that! Eventually I'd like to at least try all the major cruise lines, I'm not biased but we do love Carnival. It's too bad we can't get a bigger ship in here or have sailings from Port Manatee...

lol, we have ONE port Im able to get to on the day of the cruise, otherwise I have to drive one or two days to get to ports.. and someone who lives close to that many ports complains about the lack of choies ... sorry, no sympathy. I guess no matter how many choices people have they want more.

From living in Texas, looks to me like in Florida you have tons of close by ports.

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

Wow those Royal ships are really pretty, I saw the Granduer of the Seas at the port on Saturday and that ship looked really nice too (older, but nice). So we will soon be getting two new Royal ships and a NCL ship?

I'll have to look into that! Eventually I'd like to at least try all the major cruise lines, I'm not biased but we do love Carnival. It's too bad we can't get a bigger ship in here or have sailings from Port Manatee...

The Radiance will be there from late 2010-early 2011 and the Jewel will be there from late 2011-early 2012. So not two RCI ships at once.

Yeah, the big-big ships can't get to Tampa, but the beautiful Radiance of the seas and Jewel of the seas will be coming soon.... we can't wait to see those two from our Channelside building! they will be the most gorgeous ships docked in port.

So far, it's only the Legend (every single Sunday, same western itinerary) and the Inspiration or Imagination (I'm not sure) but it's a small ship.

The Inspiration sails from Tampa.

lol, we have ONE port Im able to get to on the day of the cruise, otherwise I have to drive one or two days to get to ports.. and someone who lives close to that many ports complains about the lack of choies ... sorry, no sympathy. I guess no matter how many choices people have they want more.

From living in Texas, looks to me like in Florida you have tons of close by ports.

Close is relative to each person, anything over 2 hours or 250 miles is not "close" to me...maybe to others it is, to each their own on what they consider close. I didnt ask for your sympathy or complain, maybe you should go back and read my last paragraph where I stated I am simply curious as to why they dont rotate more often or just change up where the ships sail from. Because regarless of how many ports are near me, it is the same ships sailing over and over year after year. And this would apply to every port, including yours.

You seem to be quite negative towards those of us who have more port choices than you...maybe having to drive 2 days to a port is actually close for some people or you could always move to another state that has more ports you know, lol!

I would like to see Carnival bring back a 4/5 day ship to Port Canaveral. When we want a slightly longer weekend sailing, the Thursday-Monday works well, though Tampa adds a few miles for us. I know, I know - beggars can't be choosers! :D

Tom

You should try the view from here. ;)

Im so glad I dont live in Canada as far as cruising ... or even still in Ohio. Looks like someone sure took exception to what I said .. yikes. Bit thin skinned are some here?

Anything over 2 hours drive is far they told me!!! .... heck I was thrilled we are only 5 hours away from one port. Iv driven 2 days to get to Florida.

Im so glad I dont live in Canada as far as cruising ... or even still in Ohio. Looks like someone sure took exception to what I said .. yikes. Bit thin skinned are some here?

Anything over 2 hours drive is far they told me!!! .... heck I was thrilled we are only 5 hours away from one port. Iv driven 2 days to get to Florida.

I'll be driving 8 hours to get to New York in a few weeks.

You drive 125 mph?!?!?! You are my new hero. :D

I wish I could drive 125 mph then getting to any port wouldnt be a problem, lol! What I was saying is anything that takes longer than 2 hours (more than the time it takes me to drive to Port Canaveral) OR is in excess of 250 miles (which Jacksonville, Ft Lauderdale and Miami are) does not seem close to me. I work overnights and have to drive to these ports after a 12 hour shift, so yeah driving that is far to me after a LONG night of work and a full day of activities ahead of me. Wish I had a more lenient job and could take off the night before, but in this economy I'm lucky to even have a job so I'll take what I can get.

You want more choices and the Sensation is another choice but you don't know if you want to sail her? WTH LOL You mean you want the choices you want not what is available. I am also in the camp of... no sympathy here lol

The Sensation is basically the same as the Inspiration, why bother driving across the state to get on that ship when I can pretty much go on it's twin (that I've already sailed on 4 times) right here in my own back yard?

Anyway, THANK YOU to the people who responded with HELPFUL answers.

And to those who have nothing better to do with themselves then troll the boards looking for any oppourtunity to tear apart a persons post...well all I can say is how about finding something positive to do with your time?

Archived