Temperatures in Italy mid June?

World Gallery

We have a summer Mediterranean cruise booked but I am concerned about the heat. We live in New Orleans but when it gets too hot, we don't do much outside. I can't imagine doing a lot of outside activities and tours in high heat but would imagine that in most of the ports we are going to, there will be a lot of outside time. What is the average temps like in Rome, Florence, and Sicily in mid June? Humidity?

Thanks.

I haven't been there but when I want temperature information I generally look it up on the web. Perhaps weather underground or other weather sites will help. You can look up average temperatures around the world by month. We did it for an Alaska cruise several years ago, chose to go in July based on some info, and were rained on and fogged out for much of the trip. So much for my research that time.

We have a summer Mediterranean cruise booked but I am concerned about the heat. We live in New Orleans but when it gets too hot, we don't do much outside. I can't imagine doing a lot of outside activities and tours in high heat but would imagine that in most of the ports we are going to, there will be a lot of outside time. What is the average temps like in Rome, Florence, and Sicily in mid June? Humidity?

Thanks.

In 2004, I spent two weeks in Rome in August auditing a college class on the engineering and archaeology of Roman structures. The temps were hot, but the humidity was low so if we zig-zagged from shade to shade we were able to keep going the entire day. In contrast, students taking the same class in 2003 encountered such excruciatingly hot, humid conditions that the entire itinerary had to be re-worked. The students were back in the dormitory in the heat of the day; touring was restricted to morning and late afternoon/evening.

Incidentally, the interior of buildings will be remarkably cool with the thick construction of the walls.

Thanks.

If you're concerned about the heat, and it definitely is a concern during the summer, why not consider a Baltic cruise, instead? The Baltic weather is much cooler and more conducive to touring at that time of year, and the teenagers would love the variety and history of the different countries. We sailed the Med 3 times and the Baltics once with our kids, and the Baltic cruise was the tops for us.

You can look up the average temps of all of those places on weather.com. It will likely be hot, but really, no hotter than you have in New Orleans. Yes, you'll be walking and doing things outside, but it shouldn't be too bad. We were in Italy and Greece last summer and, yes, it was hot, but certainly not too hot to tour. You'll just need to stop for gelato and a cold Peroni every so often, and you'll be fine :)

We were on a W.Med cruise last summer from June 8th thru June 20th. Most of the ports were in Italy. I could tell you besides Cannes in France, we encountered quite hot and humid weather in all the Italy plus Greece ports. It was tolerable but we wish it was a bit cooler. I know weather could vary from year to year, but it is always good to prepare for the worst.

I absolutely love spending 2+ weeks in Rome in April. But if I went anytime during mid-May to mid-October, I probably wouldn't enjoy it (especially June-Sept!)

I'm similar to the OP. I live in Illinois where it gets hot, but I stay in the a/c. I just can't handle the heat.

If I had to cruise to those ports at that time, I would try to book private tours where I am shuttled from place to place in an a/c vehicle. I would also plan 'lighter' port days that wouldn't be so exhausting.

I hope you have a great trip.

quanmama - Do you know what the avg. temp was? I know this sounds strange but since we are from New Orleans, what is hot to some is just very warm to us.

I just checked the avg. temps on weather.com and the temps are highs of the low to mid 80's in mid June. We can stand that. I keep reading that the summer is hot and I am trying to get an understanding of "hot". For example, from mid June to late Sept, we do not do much outside in the New Orleans area. It is enough to make you feel sick and worn out. Just dont want that to happen on our trip. We don't have any other options for travel with the kids in school.

epixx - We researched a lot and considered a Baltic cruise but we really think our kids would enjoy the Mediterranean one better. We have ancestors from Italy and have always wanted to go there. Also, in school, our kids have all learned about this area of the world but not much about the Baltic area. Also, we are probably adding on a few days in St. Petersburg after this cruise because some of our kids were adopted from there. Really, St. Pete is all we are interested in for now (but hope to do a Baltic cruise someday!)

Thanks.

Try WeatherUnderground.

DON

I really don't remember what the average temp was. We were pretty much sweaty most of the time. Just to add that the worst day was in Rome--99F in the afternoon with high humidity! We were fortunate to be in a AC van driven by Stefano from Romecab. He said it was one of those "typical hot days". I don't think we would have survived very well if we did not have him driving us around Rome that day. We are from California so our tolerance level of heat is probably not as good as the folks from New Orleans! ;) The day in Florence was not as bad and we got a break too at Amalfi coast (still felt sticky but more tolerable). I think as long as you stay very hydrated and try to get into AC places as much as possible, you should be fine. Our 9 yo did fine and of course Gelato was his savior on the trip :D. I just asked him the other day what he remembered in Rome and he said "heat and Gelato!":p

More...I would not worry too much about the weather. The trip was so fabulous that it was WORTH it. I don't tolerate heat too well but still thought it was a great trip despite the fact that the heat was a bit much for us. Just dress light and drink lots and lots of water. Our son likes to carry a "mist fan" around. Fill it full with ice and when you spray it on yourself, it will feel very cool. Are you planning to go to Pompeii? Go EARLY in the morning. We were the first group there with 3 other families sharing a guided tour. Loved the ruins...the weather was fine at 830am but it got so hot 2 hours later that we were all ready to leave. Thank God it was only a 2 hours tour. I am not trying to scare you but if it is on your plan, be prepared.

...I keep reading that the summer is hot and I am trying to get an understanding of "hot". For example, from mid June to late Sept, we do not do much outside in the New Orleans area. It is enough to make you feel sick and worn out. Just dont want that to happen on our trip. We don't have any other options for travel with the kids in school...

I don't think the temperatures tell the whole story. Although there are a few large parks, Rome is mainly pavement/cobblestone which really heats up and holds the heat. I think the grass and trees we are used to at home help make it the heat not quite as bad. A/C in Rome is usually less powerful in Rome than in the US.

When we were in Rome the last week of April 2010, it was so hot we couldn't sleep even with the windows open. Our hotel had a/c, but they hadn't started it yet for the season. During the 2nd night, we were so sweaty that we couldn't sleep. I went to the front desk at 1am and asked if we could move to a lower floor. Since we were staying at that hotel for 2+ weeks, they let us move to a room right then and I moved all our stuff the next morning. Just being on the 2nd floor instead of the 4th made a big difference. They got the a/c guy there the next day and it worked after that. Interestingly enough, the first week of May had more comfortable temps than that last week of April.

The idea of the water mist fan is fabulous, especially for your kids. Some people also bring umbrellas to create their own shade.

My best suggestions are to book a private tour and to be flexible. Maybe you won't see everything you planned to, but everyone won't be miserable.

I would be concerned also... Do you have to go at that time?? Usually the Med is great in late spring or early fall. The cruises, airfare, and crowds are better also. It can be VERY hot in Italy, Greece and Turkey all through the summer. If I didn't have to go in the summer I wouldn't......HAPPY CRUISING!!!

I believe OP has kids and summer is the only time that they could take long vacation. We too wish we could go at other times but we have a child. Hubby and I have talked about going in spring or fall once our child is grown and out of school. :D

Honestly, it's not going to be that bad. Last year at the end of June it was in the mid-upper 80s. We also did a land trip about three years ago, and it was about the same. We lived in the DC area at that point, and we live in SC now, so we are quite used to the heat, and while it was hot, we were just fine. Like the OP said, it's also a matter of perspective, and since they are used to the summers in New Orleans (been there, too, in the summer --- LOVE IT!), it really shouldn't be bad. That doesn't mean it's not hot, but it certainly manageable. Really, I think that the crowds that time of year are more of a concern than the heat, but that's me - I don't mind the heat.

We were on a Western Med cruise from 17 -27 june of this year. I don`t tolerate heat very well, but is was bearable. 25 to 30 degree Celsius.

We did all excursions independently with trains or just walking and had a good time.

We were in Tunis, Malta, Palermo, Naples, Rome, Ajaccio and Valencia and nowhere was it unbearably hot. Nor was it humid. No rain, not even a cloud in sight.

We did start early and came back mostly around 3 or 4 o clock.

Days are long in June and the weather is usually very stable.

caripoo - We have 5 children in school, so there is no way we can travel at any other time. Yes, they have the week off for Easter and Mardi Gras but we need way more than a week. Now, if my husband and I ever go alone, we would not go in the summer. We did the Holy Land/Turkey/some Greeck ports in February of 1999. The weather was great (cold in some places but we liked it)

These are all great ideas and thoughts. Very helpful. We are going to add our 2 or 3 day land portion on the front of the cruise, so June 4 - 7 and add the St. Pete part after since the chances of the weather heating up as the sumemr goes on is higher I guess.

We have been in New Orleans and Florida in the summer and also the Mediterranean. I think the heat was much worse in New Orleans and Florida because of the humidity. I am in Sydney Australia and we get into what is called the "enervating" weather in February, for about 6 or 8 weeks. Much harder to take than the heatwaves in January, where it can be 108 degrees.

I agree that the Mediterranean is much better for kids than Nthn Europe.

I'm from Southern California, and when we were in Naples and Rome in May, the heat was unbearable. We started buying bottles of water, and would not only drink the water, but douse our heads with it, and look for shade. Rome has lots of fountains, so we could refill those bottles. People were dipping into some of the fountains and splashing themselves.

So when I took my friend on our Med cruise, we chose late October. We had rain 1 day in Rome, but as we neared Civitavecchia the skies cleared, bright sunshine, and it remained that way for the whole cruise even down to Turkey and Greek Isles, then when we ended in Venice, it started to rain and continued for our 3 days there, and our 3 days in Paris. It was warm in October, but not HOT!!!

If you look up latitudes, New Orleans is at about 32, Los Angeles is 35, and Rome is 41. So close enough to be close in temps and humidity. And if your cruise is going South to Naples and Greece, it will get even hotter.

I hope you luck out with nice mild temps, but don't count on it. Have a great trip!

We recently returned from the Med & Greek Isles. The weather was hot to extremely hot! Athens and Ephesus were the hottest, and with very little shade.

Just be equipped with an umbrella, hat, water and hand held fan.

I purchased a fold-out, hand-held fan in Venice for 3 euros. So glad I did!

Street vendors sell parasols for shade near the acropolis. He wanted 5 euros for one, but he accepted 6 euros for two.:)

We used independent tours so we had short doses of the heat, then climbed into a nice air conditioned Mercedes and had a drink of ice water. Mythos beer in Greece has a cooling effect, too.;)

I realize that the historical sites should remain intact and authentic, but the lack of water and restroom facilities for tourists just doesn't make sense to me. Seems like they could make millions of dollars just selling bottled water at Ephesus. Imagine how the proceeds could be used for the restoration projects.

The heat is manageable in June and July, just be prepared.

Enjoy your visit!

• 1 month later...
I'm from Southern California, and when we were in Naples and Rome in May, the heat was unbearable. We started buying bottles of water, and would not only drink the water, but douse our heads with it, and look for shade. Rome has lots of fountains, so we could refill those bottles. People were dipping into some of the fountains and splashing themselves.

So when I took my friend on our Med cruise, we chose late October. We had rain 1 day in Rome, but as we neared Civitavecchia the skies cleared, bright sunshine, and it remained that way for the whole cruise even down to Turkey and Greek Isles, then when we ended in Venice, it started to rain and continued for our 3 days there, and our 3 days in Paris. It was warm in October, but not HOT!!!

If you look up latitudes, New Orleans is at about 32, Los Angeles is 35, and Rome is 41. So close enough to be close in temps and humidity. And if your cruise is going South to Naples and Greece, it will get even hotter.

I hope you luck out with nice mild temps, but don't count on it. Have a great trip!

I have been to New Orleans many times at different times of the year and the weather is NOT AT ALL LIKE L.A. They have MUCH more humidity than Ca. ever does and the climate is so not similiar. I have lived in Southern CA all my life. So you can't just go by the Lattitude to define temeratures. Many other factors come into play. For a true picture research on the internet.

Thanks.

http://www.wunderground.com/tripplanner/index.asp

DON

We lived in Naples for 3 years and in mid-June, you shouldn't have any real problems. We're Canadians and we didn't really start feeling the heat until July and as for August...well, August is simply hell on earth.

There are lots of shaded areas in Florence particularly and lots of lovely spots to stop in for shade. Rome is a little trickier as it's a huge city with lots of traffic that generates extra heat. Like anywhere else on the planet some summers are hotter than others, but, unless you're really unlucky, I don't think you'll have problems. If you're going to Pompeii, as someone else said, go EARLY if you can. There is zero shade there.

Just be prepared, have a wide-brimmed hat and lots of water. ALWAYS carry kleenex with you as even in the big cities, public restrooms (even in fancy restaurants) don't always have toilet paper ...

Enjoy! Italy is one of the ways god shows he loves us ... :D

Archived