Please recommend Good Bars on Horizon to bring about 40 people for a poker pub crawl

GINNY L

I will be hosting a poker pub crawl on Horizon for the sailing of October 20th. I need to find five good bars that I can bring a large group about 40 plus people to. The crawl will be starting somewhere between 2 and 3:30. It depends on the activities that are going on. Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Maybe you need to clarify...I assume with a group that large you'd be breaking into smaller groups and following a schedule? That's the only way I can imagine a pub crawl with that many people working on a cruise ship.

No bars are really that big. Possibly the one in the Ocean Plaza on deck five. The other ones are all kinda small in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I agree. You can view all of the bars on the deck plans on Carnival's web site.

I agree. You can view all of the bars on the deck plans on Carnival's web site.

Sometimes it is hard to judge by the deck plan how accommodating the area will be for 40 people. It won't be to order drinks at each bar, it just for the area will accommodate us. We go to five different bars and draw a card from a deck of cards at each place. We probably stay about 15 minutes at each place. Just long enough for each person to pick their card. It is all about checking the areas out together and playing a game while we are doing it.

I apologize if I was referring to drinking at each bar.

There are two bars near the lido buffet dining area the Lido Marketplace that I do not recommend: The Red Frog Rum Bar and the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar namely. You'd have to take over the dining area and that's a non-starter for such a large group from what I have read here in the past.

Naturally any bar you go to Carnival and the bartenders will want your group to buy drinks.

The game you describe is often played in conjunction with a cabin crawl where your group would get to view the different configurations of the cabins on board with each person drawing a card along the way. Then the group meets in one large room to compare hands and award any prizes or bragging rights. I suppose you would need several decks of cards. :)

Good luck and have fun!

Edited by sanmarcosman

There are two bars near the lido buffet dining area the Lido Marketplace that I do not recommend: The Red Frog Rum Bar and the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar namely. You'd have to take over the dining area and that's a non-starter for such a large group from what I have read here in the past.

Naturally any bar you go to Carnival and the bartenders will want your group to buy drinks.

The game you describe is often played in conjunction with a cabin crawl where your group would get to view the different configurations of the cabins on board with each person drawing a card along the way. Then the group meets in one large room to compare hands and award any prizes or bragging rights. I suppose you would need several decks of cards. :)

Good luck and have fun!

Thank you. Yep it will be 4 decks with the high hand getting 60% of the pot and the low hand getting 40% of the pot, $15 buy in.

Does it have to be a bar, or at least an open one? If it's just a checkpoint, so to speak, you could see about using the piano bar, the limelight lounge or somewhere out on the lanai.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thank you. Yep it will be 4 decks with the high hand getting 60% of the pot and the low hand getting 40% of the pot, $15 buy in.
With a 600.00 pot, that's 360 for high hand and 240 for low hand. Two happy people and 38 disappointed. Maybe a small portion will turn it into a true bar crawl with alcohol. :confused:

First pub crawl I have ever read about on CC that did not involve drinking. Sort of defeats the purpose, but you could invite all of Bill W's friends.

We don't have to drink at each bar, but if you want to you can. We just spend about 15 minutes there to pick a card and head to the next one. Most people don't drink the drinks that quick. Most people will order drinks through out the game but usually not at every one.

With a 600.00 pot, that's 360 for high hand and 240 for low hand. Two happy people and 38 disappointed. Maybe a small portion will turn it into a true bar crawl with alcohol. :confused:

It does involve alcohol if they want to. We just all won't be sitting at every bar and ordering drinks. I don't think I could drink a drink every 15 -20 mins. I would have to take a nap before dinner if I did. Then I would start all over again with my wine with my meals.

Does it have to be a bar, or at least an open one? If it's just a checkpoint, so to speak, you could see about using the piano bar, the limelight lounge or somewhere out on the lanai.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Thank you for your information and time.

The Pig & Anchor would be a great place. That’s where we had our meet & greet with 100+ people, at John Heald’s suggestion. It was a good one.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the information and time. Need to look into these

Ginny,

Assuming that all the group isn't on the same deck, switch the pub crawl ship crawl and divide the group into or 5 separate groups. 8-10 people can gather at any single place for a few minutes, less than the 15 needed for your original idea. All go to the same places but in differing orders. Pick spots throughout the ship on all public decks. Then everyone meet at the Pig and Anchor for the final tally and some good brewskis/cocktails if desired. Having it later afternoon on a sea day the P&A would be less crowded.

Just got off the Horizon today. Definitely agree with the comment about the two bars on Lido being way too small. I’d suggest Atrium lobby bar, Pig & Anchor, Ocean Plaza bar...Alchemy is great, but it’s not open that early.

Have a great time!

I was thinking of starting off at the Havana bar the inside area. I heard it is not that busy during the day and lots of room. How is the bar area in the Serenity area? The Adults only pool area. Would that be a good pool area to go to? We will be starting around 2:30 pm

I was thinking of starting off at the Havana bar the inside area. I heard it is not that busy during the day and lots of room. How is the bar area in the Serenity area? The Adults only pool area. Would that be a good pool area to go to? We will be starting around 2:30 pm

The Havana bar would definitely work as far as space for 40, but it will be tough to get drinks. The bartenders split their time inside and then outside, so it can be awhile if people want drinks. Serenity would be hard as a meeting space, especially for that many people.

The Havana bar would definitely work as far as space for 40, but it will be tough to get drinks. The bartenders split their time inside and then outside, so it can be awhile if people want drinks. Serenity would be hard as a meeting space, especially for that many people.

Thank you for the information.