communication on board

angelbearmom

I'm going to be doing a circle Hawaii cruise next April with a young woman that has multiple disabilities including being on a ventilator. She can talk but not loudly and not at all if any tubes become disconnected. I have 2 different scenarios that I'm wondering if anyone will have ideas on: Scenario one, she's going somewhere on her own on the ship and runs into trouble say with the tubing coming apart. I need a way for her to both let someone know (no voice at all) and to communicate with me. I know there's no free wifi so our usual way of communicating by texting won't work. The other scenario is if one of the 3 of us is with her and something goes wrong and we need to contact one of the others of us (3 are going with her). Any suggestions of what we can do?

There are a couple of caveats about the radios. The ship is made of metal which dampens if not blocks radio waves so don't expect great reception between decks or even on the same deck that is not open. There are 22 separate distinct channels and only one pax can use a specific channel at a time without interference. The private channels always makes me laugh as they are a sales gimmick like the proverbial snake oil. They are illegal to use in most countries outside the USA and Canada so always check a particular countries laws before using them at a port.

You can communicate with with smart phones, tablets, laptops, using the ship's intranet, Princess @ Sea. There is no charge for usage. The only issue is that the message does not have a signal, You have to keep checking to see if you have a message.

You can communicate with with smart phones, tablets, laptops, using the ship's intranet, Princess @ Sea.

I would never expect to do anything important, particularly something with human life at stake,

using princess @ sea messenger.

The most reliable (and probably most expensive) method would be SMS.

Even then, not as reliable as on land.

I'm a retired respiratory therapist and the first thought that I have is: can she breathe on her own w/o the vent & for how long?

You would be wise to rig up some kind of "ties" on her tubing to prevent disconnection. Maybe zip ties?

If there is a disconnection, can she reconnect by herself? Can she show a "good Samaritan" how to do it (assuming anyone would want to take on that responsibility)?