Bad Odor Magic Cove Balconies?

wanderlust0713

On the Dream Feb 19th sailing and there is a terrible smell on Cove Balcony 2279. I tried to switch before the cruise when I saw this thread but the cruise was sold out. I notified guest services and multiple people and departments came to the balcony to "smell" it. All left after experiencing it and promised they would work on it.

It seems they cleaned the vents over this cove at some point trying to help but until they shut off the exhaust the smell will still there.

Good news:

My mom had cabin 2275 and her cove was very pleasant.

The bigger the breeze the less the odor or the odor only appears ever 10 seconds or so and then is blown away. So when sailing you will notice it less and the same goes for tender ports like Belize.

Bad news:

The smell is bad obviously.

The cove was pretty wet on embarkation and first two days. Once we left our first port Roatan, it seemed to dry up. We did not have a drain anywhere on our balcony. It was wet again (which means standing water) on debarkation day. I think this is from run off from washing decks and not sea spray. I went out several times when we were at full speed and the water was not splashing or spraying up on me.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On the Dream Feb 19th sailing and there is a terrible smell on Cove Balcony 2279. I tried to switch before the cruise when I saw this thread but the cruise was sold out. I notified guest services and multiple people and departments came to the balcony to "smell" it. All left after experiencing it and promised they would work on it.

It seems they cleaned the vents over this cove at some point trying to help but until they shut off the exhaust the smell will still there.

Good news:

My mom had cabin 2275 and her cove was very pleasant.

The bigger the breeze the less the odor or the odor only appears ever 10 seconds or so and then is blown away. So when sailing you will notice it less and the same goes for tender ports like Belize.

Bad news:

The smell is bad obviously.

The cove was pretty wet on embarkation and first two days. Once we left our first port Roatan, it seemed to dry up. We did not have a drain anywhere on our balcony. It was wet again (which means standing water) on debarkation day. I think this is from run off from washing decks and not sea spray. I went out several times when we were at full speed and the water was not splashing or spraying up on me.

Ugh! This just makes me sick since we are in this cabin (2279) in December. I hope whatever the problem is fixed before then. I booked Early Saver, so not sure it can be changed without penalty. Anyone know?? BTW, how was the cabin otherwise?

Ugh! This just makes me sick since we are in this cabin (2279) in December. I hope whatever the problem is fixed before then. I booked Early Saver, so not sure it can be changed without penalty. Anyone know?? BTW, how was the cabin otherwise?

You can change to a different Cove without a penalty. Try a mock booking of the same cruise and see what cabins show up as available. Just be careful about cabins under the galley too..

You can change to a different Cove without a penalty. Try a mock booking of the same cruise and see what cabins show up as available. Just be careful about cabins under the galley too..

Thanks for the info. I did a mock booking, and apparently all the 4-person Cove balconies are sold out.

Oh Well - I'll pray for the best and deal with whatever. Just my luck to pick the one smelly cabin on the ship - lol!!

Edited by FlamingJune1967

The cabin was great. It is close to the elevators but not loud. I liked being down low as I could feel more movement on the higher decks.

You can call Carnival or your booking agent to request a new cabin. I tried that but my sailing was fully sold it and there were no cabins available anywhere on the ship.

Here is a photo of the vents. They are circled. 288677ffe4675ad3aa8c1d1a6244858f.jpg

And the view

48c0ed218ee06238cba04cda4f4e0f11.jpg

dee06db487395ab794b11668b53cfbc5.jpg

The cabin was great. It is close to the elevators but not loud. I liked being down low as I could feel more movement on the higher decks.

You can call Carnival or your booking agent to request a new cabin. I tried that but my sailing was fully sold it and there were no cabins available anywhere on the ship.

Here is a photo of the vents. They are circled. 288677ffe4675ad3aa8c1d1a6244858f.jpg

And the view

48c0ed218ee06238cba04cda4f4e0f11.jpg

dee06db487395ab794b11668b53cfbc5.jpg

Thank you so much for these!

I am torn... looks like there is no way around the smell problem other than to move to another cabin higher up... and we were really looking forward to being closer to the water.

If the smell is mainly an issue when in port, then maybe we can live with it. We tend to use the balcony more at night and on sea days.

At least it's not tobacco smoke :)

This makes me nervous. I'm in 2315 in September -picked it because it didn't have a lifeboat above. If anyone has any updates on this cabin that would be great.

Thanks,

Jim

I am in 2315 in May and picked it for the same reason and the fact that it isn't under the galley. If no one has any info on this cabin before then I will try to remember to come back and update in May!

Hate to say it, but the Magic stinks! We just got off the Magic on March 4th and we noticed the sewage smell everywhere we went on the ship! I am a seasoned cruiser and have not had the displeasure of this odor on any other ship. I just posted my review. It should be on the Cruise Reviews Board, soon.

• 9 months later...

I just got off the Magic, balcony cabins 2283 and 2285. The sewage smell was awful - I wish I had read some of these messages before, the ship made it seem like they had never had this problem before. The entire hallway was awful, but one of our rooms (2285) was definitely the worst within the entire hallway. I am so angry that I didn't see these messages earlier. There were hours when we couldn't be in the rooms because the smell was so awful. They told me that they were closing our room for the next sailing and needed to do some work on the pipes. I wonder if this is really the truth.

We were also asked about cleaning in the morning of at night, I didn't realize this was a change of the way things were. We only had night cleaning- it really was a non-issue except when we needed something, the room steward was nowhere to be found (if we needed towels during the day or things like that).

• 2 weeks later...

Avoid cove 2309 on the Magic. The balcony on this cabin is unusable. The odor from the incinerators above is toxic. You can feel the nauseating hot air blowing down into this balcony when you stand at the railing. The fact that they are aware of this ongoing issue and continue to sell this cabin as a balcony is disgraceful.

I cruised in 2273 on the Magic in Dec 2016. We had zero issues with odors. The only issue we had was the first night and next day (a sea day), the seas were rougher and we were unable to use the balcony because waves would constantly splash water (not full on waves of water but water still) onto the balcony since it was located so close to front of the ship. The rest of the trip it wasn't an issue. The last day was also a sea day and I was able to sit out there a lot of the day and read.

We were in 2317 in November 2016 and I know the exact smell you are speaking of. Our smell was more food vent (not the good food but more all the trash food)/sewage smell. It was a very distinct smell that was nauseating. On top of that, our room flooded due to a pipe bursting so the smell was the least of our worries.

We just cruised in November 2017 and our room was 2287 and we had no complaints at all. No smells, no flooding, and no noise. :) . Great room.

We head back out on Saturday and will be in room 2276 so fingers crossed for no issues.

We will be in 2281 and 2283 on the Breeze when we go back in November 2018 so fingers crossed for no smells. Please update if you have the issue, as well.

• 2 weeks later...