2 Questions for recent Sky Cuba cruisers

bostongal965

I'm booked on a Sun Cuba cruise this summer and I have two questions:

Question 1 is about the visa - I was looking on the NCL site and I was a little uncertain of the procedure. There was a link to an affiliate site to obtain visas, but the Sun wasn't listed as a choice. On the NCL website, it said something about the visa being charged to your on-board account. I did see the link to the OFAC documentation. How did you go about getting the visa for Cuba?

Question 2 is about drink taxes in Florida - I've sailed with the UBP out of Pt. Canaveral & Miami, and we were charged tax while in port (which I was aware of ahead of time, so not a complaint). I was wondering if that was the case with the open bar on the Sky, as the Sun is moving to that model for the Cuba itinerary. We're going with NCL newbies, and want to has as much info for them as possible.

Thanks in advance! :)

1. We called NCL and requested the visa from them. $75 per person was added to the cruise "bill" and paid with final payment. Visas/tourist cards were given to us at check in.

2. We were on the Sky which is also open bar. No taxes on drinks when we were in port in Miami that I recall. Perhaps the higher daily dsc covers that somehow.

1. We called NCL and requested the visa from them. $75 per person was added to the cruise "bill" and paid with final payment. Visas/tourist cards were given to us at check in.

2. We were on the Sky which is also open bar. No taxes on drinks when we were in port in Miami that I recall. Perhaps the higher daily dsc covers that somehow.

For our Cuba cruise, the visa was automatic. You do have to fill out the OFAC form. Best to call NCL direct or have your TA call for you to double-check on the visa.

I just booked the Sun to Cuba cruise for us today - the $75 per person visa fee is added in to the cost of the cruise and shows as a separate item on the summary on the NCL website. I thought it was on top of the fare at a later date, so I was pleasantly surprised to see it was included in the quote I got over the phone.

Thanks, everyone. I thought that the drinks wouldn't be taxed (especially since many recently on the Sky said they don't even take your card anymore), but DH thought they might be. Just wanted to be sure.

I doubled checked my reservation docs, and the visa is definitely NOT there yet, so I'll call.

Thanks again!

Why does anyone concern themselves with port tax on drinks? Its pennies.

Why does anyone post snarky unhelpful comments on a thread? :mad: Only the universe has answers to these questions. :confused:

I said I didn't mind - and I don't. I've sailed twice with the included "free" beverage package, and paid taxes in port - note I said "paid taxes in port" and not "complained about paying taxes in port." I was informed ahead of time (thank you, Cruise Critic), and I didn't care - however lots of people on both cruises were upset - I know because I had to listen to them giving the poor bar staff grief about it. :eek:

The reason I asked is because we are sailing with another couple who have never cruised. We're trying to inform them of as many things as possible. Our itinerary is leaving from Pt. Canaveral and stopping in Key West so we have two ports where it could be an issue - not a major issue, but something to plan for and be aware of.

Thanks for nothing!