Looking for Itinerary that includes Norway/Iceland/Greenland

Wyoming2010

I would check out Viking Ocean, specifically their "In the Wake of the Vikings" cruise from Bergen to Montreal - 15 days Starts in Bergen and visits both Iceland & Greenland.

Here is the link to the cruise

https://www.vikingcruisescanada.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/multi-region/in-the-wake-of-vikings/index.html

Oh Heidi, thanks! I will definitely check this one out.

Edited to add: Just checked it out -- perfect, but sold out (and a little pricey). I'll keep an eye out for this itinerary in 2020.

Oh Heidi, thanks! I will definitely check this one out.

Edited to add: Just checked it out -- perfect, but sold out (and a little pricey). I'll keep an eye out for this itinerary in 2020.

Yes, the Viking base fares are more expensive than the mainstream lines, but they also include many perks that other lines charge extra for. Perks vary by sailing, but I believe all Viking cruises include - port fees & taxes, 1 free excursion in every port, free unlimited wi-fi, free self-service laundry, free beer & wine at lunch & dinner, free spa (hot tub, sauna, snow grotto), free specialty restaurants, free 24/7 room service, free specialty tea/coffee & bottled water.

When cruises are released you may find additional perks such as free or discount air, free gratuities, free beverage package, etc. Our 2020 World Cruise with them is basically all-inclusive, with a significant OBC.

Good luck in finding a cruise.

Yes, the Viking base fares are more expensive than the mainstream lines, but they also include many perks that other lines charge extra for. Perks vary by sailing, but I believe all Viking cruises include - port fees & taxes, 1 free excursion in every port, free unlimited wi-fi, free self-service laundry, free beer & wine at lunch & dinner, free spa (hot tub, sauna, snow grotto), free specialty restaurants, free 24/7 room service, free specialty tea/coffee & bottled water.

When cruises are released you may find additional perks such as free or discount air, free gratuities, free beverage package, etc. Our 2020 World Cruise with them is basically all-inclusive, with a significant OBC.

Good luck in finding a cruise.

Wow, those are some great perks, and money-savers for sure. I've never cruised Viking, but have heard good things. We booked Oceania (first time for that one too) for next year for Cuba and was surprised when we got an excursion included in each port, free specialty dining, free WiFi and refrigerators in every room with included beverages and bottled water. I'm used to being nickled and dimed on some cruiselines, so it's nice to get inclusions.

Wow, those are some great perks, and money-savers for sure. I've never cruised Viking, but have heard good things. We booked Oceania (first time for that one too) for next year for Cuba and was surprised when we got an excursion included in each port, free specialty dining, free WiFi and refrigerators in every room with included beverages and bottled water. I'm used to being nickled and dimed on some cruiselines, so it's nice to get inclusions.

Yes, Viking and Oceania are very similar, as these are the 2 Lines we short-listed for our next cruise. The thing that tipped us to Viking was direction of travel - Viking goes West, while in 2020 Oceania goes East.

Hi Wyoming,

Have you looked at the itineraries for the Norwegian Spirit next year. It doesn't stop in Greenland, but it does have multiple stops in Norway as well as Iceland. There are also stops in Holland as well as Ireland.

The one I was looking at was a 14 day roundtrip from London/Southampton leaving on Sep. 27, 2019 . There are other similar itineraries. Of course, being one of the mainstream lines, the price is much more down to earth.

It might not fill the whole bucket. You would have to decide if it is a good option.

Good luck

have a great cruise

Try the small, older ships, such as Fred Olsen or Cruise and Maritime- they usually cruise to Greenland and Iceland, but not sure if they fit in Norway as well. These are at the lower end of the price range. I think the famous Marco Polo ship goes to Greenland from Tilbury, on the Thames near London, next summer.

Saga has a new ship out next year, which looks very tempting- again, they usually have unusual itineraries in the Northern Isles... you have to be 50 yrs+ to sail with them.

Hurtigruten, the Norwegian ferry line, have cruises to Greenland.

Hi Wyoming,

Have you looked at the itineraries for the Norwegian Spirit next year. It doesn't stop in Greenland, but it does have multiple stops in Norway as well as Iceland. There are also stops in Holland as well as Ireland.

The one I was looking at was a 14 day roundtrip from London/Southampton leaving on Sep. 27, 2019 . There are other similar itineraries. Of course, being one of the mainstream lines, the price is much more down to earth.

It might not fill the whole bucket. You would have to decide if it is a good option.

Good luck

have a great cruise

Have checked it out and hope they offer the same in 2020. I should have mentioned I am looking to book in 2020 but all the tips will help me know where to research when they start opening 2020 itineraries. We are fulfilling my husband's bucket list to visit Cuba next year and doing Oceania. We can't do two extended trips in one year. Thanks much to all who took the time to make suggestions.

We will expand on another post. One of the most popular itineraries on HAL is their annual Voyage of the Vikings cruise which is round trip from Boston and about 38 days in length. This cruise generally leaves Boston sometime in July or early August. In recent years it has been on the medium size Rotterdam, but this will be changing next summer when its a 35 day voyage on the Zuiderdam (departing Boston on 7/30/19). We have been on more then 100 cruise itineraries all over the world, but the VOV remains one of our favorites.

Hank

We will expand on another post. One of the most popular itineraries on HAL is their annual Voyage of the Vikings cruise which is round trip from Boston and about 38 days in length. This cruise generally leaves Boston sometime in July or early August. In recent years it has been on the medium size Rotterdam, but this will be changing next summer when its a 35 day voyage on the Zuiderdam (departing Boston on 7/30/19). We have been on more then 100 cruise itineraries all over the world, but the VOV remains one of our favorites.

Hank

I'm always fantasizing about those extended cruises, and it's a nice dream, but if our daughter comes (as she really wants to), she can't take that many days off. In addition, the prices are usually way out of our budget league. But thanks so much.

I'm always fantasizing about those extended cruises, and it's a nice dream, but if our daughter comes (as she really wants to), she can't take that many days off. In addition, the prices are usually way out of our budget league. But thanks so much.

Finding a budget priced cruise with that kind of itinerary is a major challenge. And to do it on a shorter cruise it will mean paying some significant airfare to get to or from Northern Europe. Greenland is actually not a place on many ship's itineraries because there is very little in Greenland except an awful lot of ice :). Their ports generally appeal to the seasoned traveler who is looking for something different and does not need a lot of shore activities to make them happy campers. The reality is that some of the Greenland ports have nearly nothing....and you can find yourself in a village with a few hundred residents...none of whom seem to be in town. And you should also consider that Iceland is a terribly expensive Island. Even a single day rental car can cost hundreds of dollars unless you are a savvy traveler. Norway is also a very expensive country (one of the most expensive in all of Europe) where its possible to spend $50+ on a pizza and some beer/wine. HAL usually has a few ships that cover those countries and their prices can be among the best if one books an inside cabin. Oceania has also done some good itineraries in those waters, but that line is never a bargain.

Hank

Finding a budget priced cruise with that kind of itinerary is a major challenge. And to do it on a shorter cruise it will mean paying some significant airfare to get to or from Northern Europe. Greenland is actually not a place on many ship's itineraries because there is very little in Greenland except an awful lot of ice :). Their ports generally appeal to the seasoned traveler who is looking for something different and does not need a lot of shore activities to make them happy campers. The reality is that some of the Greenland ports have nearly nothing....and you can find yourself in a village with a few hundred residents...none of whom seem to be in town. And you should also consider that Iceland is a terribly expensive Island. Even a single day rental car can cost hundreds of dollars unless you are a savvy traveler. Norway is also a very expensive country (one of the most expensive in all of Europe) where its possible to spend $50+ on a pizza and some beer/wine. HAL usually has a few ships that cover those countries and their prices can be among the best if one books an inside cabin. Oceania has also done some good itineraries in those waters, but that line is never a bargain.

Hank

Thank you for the information. Since we have a short window of travel ability over the next couple of years for my husband, we are trying to hit the items on his bucket list. We think we may narrow this down to just itineraries with Iceland and Norway. Anything we can see in the Scandinavia countries is a plus as we haven't touched on that part of the world yet.

In reference to note above about Norway being expensive. We just returned from a Baltic Sea cruise (Copenhagen > Oslo> Helsinki>Stockholm, etc.) and yes, Copenhagen and the other cities mentioned were very expensive but don't let that stop you from experiencing those beautiful places. We were not prepared for the beauty - it was amazing. We went to a hot dog stand recommended by Anthony Bourdain and yes, for two hot dogs, a beer and glass of wine we paid almost $50 but it was a once in a lifetime trip. Would I go back to Copenhagen ? No. We are definitely returning to Norway and Finland and possibly Sweden. Enjoy at least one meal in each port to experience the local cuisine. Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy !

In reference to note above about Norway being expensive. We just returned from a Baltic Sea cruise (Copenhagen > Oslo> Helsinki>Stockholm, etc.) and yes, Copenhagen and the other cities mentioned were very expensive but don't let that stop you from experiencing those beautiful places. We were not prepared for the beauty - it was amazing. We went to a hot dog stand recommended by Anthony Bourdain and yes, for two hot dogs, a beer and glass of wine we paid almost $50 but it was a once in a lifetime trip. Would I go back to Copenhagen ? No. We are definitely returning to Norway and Finland and possibly Sweden. Enjoy at least one meal in each port to experience the local cuisine. Sounds like a great trip. Enjoy !

Thanks for the positive feedback. We usually do try something in each port, but eat the majority of our meals onboard to save money. If the price is right, and for convenience sake for my husband, we do more ship excursions now, and a lot of them include lunches with great food! We will budget the price we pay for the cruise after comparisons, but know that once in port it is a one-shot deal to that port and we will enjoy it all.